Familiar call for help !!! Need a compact receiver

V

vivekama

Audiophyte
Newbie here. Hello!

I bought a pair of paradigm atoms. Now all I want is a reciever that does not look like a Goliath between the cute little atoms. Does anyone know of a receiver that is smaller than the Onkyos and Denons?

I'm actually on a very tight budget. Max $200.

How about a DVD player with built in amp? That would save me the trouble of buying a DVD player + Receiver !!!

Thanks for the help. :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Do you ever plan on going for surround sound? If not, an integrated amp is a great choice. If you can't find a new integrated amp for $200, I'm sure you could find a good used one on Audiogon or ebay in your price range.

V

vivekama

Audiophyte
jaxvon said:
Do you ever plan on going for surround sound? If not, an integrated amp is a great choice. If you can't find a new integrated amp for $200, I'm sure you could find a good used one on Audiogon or ebay in your price range.
No plans for surround sound.

Can I connect a MP3-CD player to the integrated amp?

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
vivekama said:
No plans for surround sound.

Can I connect a MP3-CD player to the integrated amp?
Yes, all you need is a minijack to RCA cable available at any Radio shack or even Walmart

V

vivekama

Audiophyte
!

warpdrive said:
Yes, all you need is a minijack to RCA cable available at any Radio shack or even Walmart

Thats a bit confusing. Sorry!

(Mustering courage) Then whats the difference between a receiver and a integrated amplifier?

So all I need is to do is buy a dvd player and a integrated amplifier, then put the three together.

Then whats the role of the receiver? :confused:

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
A receiver is a combination of a radio tuner, a pre-amplifier, and an amplifier.

An integrated amp is a pre-amplifier and an amplifier.

An integrated amp can do everything a receiver can do (in terms of inputs and outputs) except "receive" radio... but, you buy a separate tuner and hook it up and then you have a two piece receiver.

Hope I explained that simply enough.

V

vivekama

Audiophyte
Shadow_Ferret said:
A receiver is a combination of a radio tuner, a pre-amplifier, and an amplifier.

An integrated amp is a pre-amplifier and an amplifier.

An integrated amp can do everything a receiver can do (in terms of inputs and outputs) except "receive" radio... but, you buy a separate tuner and hook it up and then you have a two piece receiver.

Hope I explained that simply enough.
Thanks! I don't need the tuner at all.

Any suggestions for a budget integrated amp ? Max $200-$250

How can I get hold of a 220 volt integrated amp from Europe (or here if its ever available)?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Well. Well. Well.
Look here.

Higher quality unit with less rated power, but I bet better sound quality.
Here.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'd personally go with the Pioneer integrated amp linked above and a separate DVD player. You'll appreciate the better quality later.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
My vote (as though it counts)...

...is also for the Pioneer...however, as I recall the only fly-in-the-ointment is that it does not have a "pre-out" so it can't be used as a pre-amp with an outboard power amp should the need for more power arise; but, then again, neither does the pricier Marantz PM-7200...pity about that...both units would be ideal pieces to build on if they did. Obviously, that may not have any bearing in this case.

TEAC has a really, really nice little unit(integrated) with good specs(but no "pre-out") but it's MSRP is a bit higher than your budget...although you can certainly find it cheaper on-line...you might want to visit the TEAC site for more info and other models...particularly if you are tired(as am I) of the same ol' same ol' black plastic boxes...

FWIW, the Onkyo MC-35TECH, is a good mini-system with a three-disc changer, a reciever with about 20Wpc@6 Ohms and two decent ported loudspeakers...you might get a good deal as an Onkyo re-pack and just use the electronics and ditch the included speakers or use them as remote extensions with an outboard selector switch...With an 8 Ohm speaker the Wpc drops to 15...still more than sufficient...I own one of these systems and even for the 400 clams it cost as a new item, it's performance is remarkable IMHO...good bang for the buck. Heck, you might even like the speakers more than what you have...

jimHJJ(...just my two cents...)

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Well, first...

...have you considered the exchange rate...remember, that 139.95 price is in British pounds which converts to around $263USD not including shipping...plus it's a 220v unit with a different style AC plug...plus good luck if you need service...it's not a unit made to be sold in the US so...this MAY be a problem...

I didn't take the time to check out the others mentioned, save for the Onkyo unit...it's a 6.1 receiver...what exactly are you looking for? a stereo receiver? and integrated amp? multi-channel? HTIB? You really should settle that issue first, we can't help you with that.

The Pioneer mentioned is probably your best bet, it's in your budget and has decent credentials...buying this stuff based on looks(while that can be important) shouldn't be the first issue considered...

jimHJJ(...it's decision-making time...)

V

vivekama

Audiophyte
Resident Loser said:
...have you considered the exchange rate...remember, that 139.95 price is in British pounds which converts to around $263USD not including shipping...plus it's a 220v unit with a different style AC plug...plus good luck if you need service...it's not a unit made to be sold in the US so...this MAY be a problem...

I didn't take the time to check out the others mentioned, save for the Onkyo unit...it's a 6.1 receiver...what exactly are you looking for? a stereo receiver? and integrated amp? multi-channel? HTIB? You really should settle that issue first, we can't help you with that.

The Pioneer mentioned is probably your best bet, it's in your budget and has decent credentials...buying this stuff based on looks(while that can be important) shouldn't be the first issue considered...

jimHJJ(...it's decision-making time...)
iTs been a very tough time making a decision.

1. Receivers are very costly in India. I do get Onkyos but they are prices like twice the price or more. So I have to buy it here. Or go looking for a cheaper home theater recievers in India. The Stereo receivers are all costly. But there are a lot of cheap home theater products. Quality suffers.

2. Voltage problem. I need to buy an additional step down transformer. And there might be problems in the long run.

3. Carrying a bulky recever is a big inconvenience. Hence I was looking for a slimmer design.

4. I need to buy a DVD player in India.

Basically I need to get my two Paradigms working in India at a decent price and effort. I confused a lot of you I think. :p . I was just jugling around trying to reduce the problems.
----------------------------------------------------

I have a product in sight. Its a TEAC AG370 or a AG790. It has dual voltage capability. And hence I'm willing to take some trouble carrying it.

How's the review for these products? Getting it for 115-130 dollars.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
India? That is a good piece of information to give someone BEFORE you ask for help! :mad:

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Insofar as the units...

...mentioned, I haven't a clue...the specs look ok...TEAC has been well regarded for their tape decks., particularly the TASCAM division...how are their receivers...??? Onkyo, Yamaha, HK, etc. seem to be the units that are considered popular...TEAC is rarely, if ever, mentioned. Do keep in mind the servicing issue...even if they are voltage capable, will a warranty on a product sold in one country be honored in another...it's a gray area I think.

Unfortunately, the HT market has really hurt the plain ol' stereo gear...the choices for reasonably priced recievers etc. is not wide ranging...most mfrs. have one or two offerings and make trade-offs with certain features and functions that were once considered commonplace.

Have you tried any Indian establishments in the US?...they seem to all indicate they sell 110/230v appliances and electronics...at least here in the Big Apple.

jimHJJ(...sorry I can't be of more help...)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis