Everything is RED!!!

L

latino

Audiophyte
Everything is RED!

I just purchase a Toshiba 52" DLP HDTV. Today my local cable company (Adelphia) installed HD. My problem is that if I connect the HD Cable box to my TV using the HD cables (3 colors) everything is red, but if I do the connection using HDMI, everything is perfect. Could it be that the cable box is bad or this could be perhaps a problem with the cables or my TV?
Thanks
Jorge

Last edited by a moderator:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Probably something in the setup that needs to specify the output of the cable box on component cables.

My Scientific Atlanta box requires the output to be set to component, or it outputs composite on one of the 3 component cables instead. Sucks.

L

latino

Audiophyte
Thanks BMX.
I did see a button on my Scientific Atlanta box that says Video Source , however nothing happens when I press the button. The TV doesn't show the box's menu or antything. To make matter worse, the cable guy didn't even leave me a manual booklet for the box.
Jorge

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
Just use the HDMI input thats what I do and the HDMI also has a higher pixel rate which works great for computers also which I'm looking at right now in fact. Just my opinon though. Happy listening. :)
Greg

Since you have a digital display, we would recommend you try HDMI. However, component output might offer an improvement since the cable boxes that come with service (even the "nice ones") are usually sub-par. In this case, the video processing on your television might do a better job with the picture.

I'll oversimplify to sum up your scenarios:

HDMI = cable box handles most video processing
Component = TV handles most video processing

HDMI's capabilities for computer displays really has nothing to do with television use.

L

latino

Audiophyte
Thank you guys, I was able to locate the manual on the internet and do the propper setup for the cables. I am using the component video cables since I am using the HDMI connection for my DVD. Unfortunatelly the HD TV I bought only comes with one HDMI.
Now if you think that it would be better to switch and use the components cable for my DVD and the HMDI for my cable box, I'll do it.

I also notice that most of the HD channels do not offer true 16:9 resolution, most of them have the black lines on top and botton of the screen. I could fix that by "zooming" the image either thru my TV or directly from my cable box, but I am affraid the image would be somehow distorded. What do you think?
Thank
Jorge

T

timbo114

Audiophyte
latino said:
Everything is RED!

I just purchase a Toshiba 52" DLP HDTV. Today my local cable company (Adelphia) installed HD. My problem is that if I connect the HD Cable box to my TV using the HD cables (3 colors) everything is red, but if I do the connection using HDMI, everything is perfect. Could it be that the cable box is bad or this could be perhaps a problem with the cables or my TV?
Thanks
Jorge
Did the cable company provide the comp cable set?
I had a set from Comcast and they were junk!
The screen on my Hitachi 51F510 RP CRT HDTV monitor was 100% BLUE.
I switched comp cables and all is perfect.
My RPTV has 1 HDMI input and I have the cable and noticed this .....
SD PQ is lacking using the HDMI - BUT HD PQ is ASTOUNDINGLY vivid and quite sharp! I swear it looks like live 3D.
My theory is that you had bad comp cables.

Good luck and enjoy your HD! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
L

latino

Audiophyte
I did purchase separate cables. The original ones that came with the box were BAD AND CHEAP!!!
Jorge

D

DISCMAN

Audioholic Intern
You may have one of the three component video cables switched. In my personal experience I got used to the black bars at the bottom. Every time I've seen the image stretched to fit the screen it really bugs me.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I think it's cable related also. I had the red screen too with a faulty S-Video cable. Got a new one, fixed the problem...actually, i am sure it was Monster brand too. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure, but I think once he went through the setup menus he was able to correct the issue... Could be wrong though.

Latino?

J

Jcenzo

Enthusiast
You may have a bad video input on your TV. If you switch inputs, say from 1 to 2 and the problem goes away, then that is the problem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis