Ever Made Mississippi Pot Roast?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just today was the second time that I have ever made a "Mississippi Pot Roast? The first time I browned a 6-lbs. chuck roast using 100% virgin olive oil. Added the required ingredients and 8-hours later it was fantastic! However, this time around I browned (2) 3-lbs. shoulder roasts on the grill. Added the proper ingredients, but also added in some potatoes, onions, and carrots. All I can say is wow! Absolutely delicious. Here is a link for the recipe for those that are interested:

http://belleofthekitchen.com/2016/04/13/mississippi-pot-roast/

Adding the grilled flavor to the roasts has taken this recipe to the next level inmho. Just thought that I would share! Enjoy! :):):) BTW, I usually prefer chuck roasts but the shoulder roasts were on sale.....LOL!!!!! Have to be thrifty given that I am an el-cheapo. :D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never heard of it but reminds me of what my mom made for us as kids, she called it Sweepsteak (think it was a recipe on the box). Basically a chuck roast with a packet of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix (or similar) sealed up with some veggies and foil and slow cooked in the oven.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Never heard of it but reminds me of what my mom made for us as kids, she called it Sweepsteak (think it was a recipe on the box). Basically a chuck roast with a packet of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix (or similar) sealed up with some veggies and foil and slow cooked in the oven.
Yeah, my MOM used to merely do the same thing. But, this is a bit different. That is, a bit of spice to it. Not bad as I can NOT eat real spicy foods for various reasons. But, the peppers and the Au Jus really come together. Especially, adding the grilled flavor. The carrots are perfect and sweet. I know my Step-Dad whom is 88 years of age sure loved it......LOL!!!! This recipe even makes its own gravy. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Grilling to brown is a very interesting touch. Never thought of it. That would impart some more flavor. I will try that sometime for sure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Grilling to brown is a very interesting touch. Never thought of it. That would impart some more flavor. I will try that sometime for sure.
I always try and brown the meat for a bit of flavor when appropriate. I do that for my carnitas in the dutch oven, then deglaze the bottom of the pot to incorporate in the braising liquid.

@speakerman39 I had to go back and read the recipe as I didn't remember the heat...pepperoncini is pretty mild so it didn't even register (I do like it hot n spicy)....the ranch dressing thing I'm not sure about, tho. I'll probably try it, or a variation, some day :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
After trying both ways, the grilled flavoring really enhances this recipe inmho. That is how I will do it for now on. I also prefer to stay with Chuck roasts as opposed to Shoulder roasts. Highly recommend!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I always try and brown the meat for a bit of flavor when appropriate. I do that for my carnitas in the dutch oven, then deglaze the bottom of the pot to incorporate in the braising liquid.

@speakerman39 I had to go back and read the recipe as I didn't remember the heat...pepperoncini is pretty mild so it didn't even register (I do like it hot n spicy)....the ranch dressing thing I'm not sure about, tho. I'll probably try it, or a variation, some day :)
Well, I forgot to mention that I got a little crazy with the black pepper......LOL!!! I ONLY use course grained pepper. Especially, for grilling. Next time, however, I will go a bit easier on the pepper......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I forgot to mention that I got a little crazy with the black pepper......LOL!!! I ONLY use course grained pepper. Especially, for grilling. Next time, however, I will go a bit easier on the pepper......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
I use pepper liberally, usually using tellicherry peppercorns ground to purpose, along with a blend of red pepper powders (paprika, chipotle, ancho, cayenne). I'd have to make special editions of my food for you, Phil :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which reminds me of a pepper encrusted beef patty my mom used to make, topped with a yummy wine butter reduction thing....wonder if my sister still has the recipe. Getting hungry....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I use pepper liberally, usually using tellicherry peppercorns ground to purpose, along with a blend of red pepper powders (paprika, chipotle, ancho, cayenne). I'd have to make special editions of my food for you, Phil :)
I would appreciate that....LOL!!! Unless I am willing to risk a trip to the ER. Lets just say that I love spicier food, but it certainly does NOT love me......LOL!!!!! :p:p:D:p:p As such, always have to tame it down a lot. But, my roasts today have a bit more bite to them mainly b/c I used too much black pepper. That is my bad!

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I always brown my meat until the sugars come out and start to caramelize. Even stew meat. I've never though of using the grill though. I'd think that'd give it a little char and smoke flavor. I'm gonna try it.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I always brown my meat until the sugars come out and start to caramelize. Even stew meat. I've never though of using the grill though. I'd think that'd give it a little char and smoke flavor. I'm gonna try it.
It's supposedly sacrilege to brown meatballs but I do it anyway. But then, I'm not tied to authentic recipes. Still, people always seem to clean their plates so why change?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's supposedly sacrilege to brown meatballs but I do it anyway. But then, I'm not tied to authentic recipes. Still, people always seem to clean their plates so why change?
It is? I've been doing it wrong...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It is? I've been doing it wrong...
Yeah, I was thinking the same. It helps them stay together in the sauce, not to mention the pan juices for adding more flavor. At least that's what I always thought.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Had some left overs today. Man is it a bit spicy. Bit more than I am used to. Next time I will be sure to tame it down a notch or so. Thank GOD for Rolaids! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love me some spicy. My chili would probably set your bawls on fire. :p

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I love me some spicy. My chili would probably set your bawls on fire. :p
So do I. One time I got real sick and had a fever for like 10 days. This Jamaican friend of mine brought me over some jerk chicken soup and 3 bites in and I was sweating and sinuses were wide open. I swear by that sh!t. I was back at work the next day like I had never been sick. Damn Scotch bonnet peppers nuked that stuff I had.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In Philly, they don't brown the meatballs and it's not spaghetti sauce, it's gravy. I like their way too.
Only thing I want in Philly is cheesesteak sandwiches :) Most of the recipes for meatballs I've read have you brown them in any case. Wouldn't necessarily put meatballs in spaghetti sauce, whatever that is, real gravy works.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Only thing I want in Philly is cheesesteak sandwiches :) Most of the recipes for meatballs I've read have you brown them in any case. Wouldn't necessarily put meatballs in spaghetti sauce, whatever that is, real gravy works.
I was skeptical, but those folks up there know how to eat. I have been dating a woman from there on/off for about 18 years. Now she lives in NJ but they are Philly all the way. I visit up there 4-5 times/yr and every time I come back my clothes are snug. Lots of Italianism going on there and everything she makes is pretty fantastic.

Anyway, they have changed my view on what works outside of what I know, or thought I knew.

On holidays, she typically handles the savory things and I do the baking. I usually dream up improvised meals from the leftovers the following days where I get to do some things my way and bring a bit of the south, north.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis