Even my cables need calibration?!

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
It's no wonder my setup doesn't sound as good as it should, I don't think I ever had my Home Depot cables calibrated! What was I thinking? I wonder if Home Depot has a cable calibration station like they have the wood cutting station, first calibration is free? :D

Transparent Audio: Interconnects, speaker cables, digital audio cables, HDMI cables, DIY cable, inwall speaker cable, power conditioning, and power cords for music lovers, audiophiles, home theater enthusiasts, and music and film studio professionals

Saw this article and laughed a little to myself. I didn't look into it at all, and maybe I will later, but I'm curious to know what they actually do to "calibrate" your cables for you. I briefly saw something to match the circuits of your electronics but I'd like to know what they physically (electrically maybe?) do to the cables in order to call it calibrated.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Actually, this is a very real thing.
It's a prerequisite, one must work for Transparent Cables before running for any political office.:D

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That testimonial has a typo. It should read, "To make a long story short, Brian opted to [strike]get his cables certified[/strike] put $700 into better speakers, and they sound great."

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm impressed that they could match the electrical characteristics of his Krell components without actually having them in the measurement loop... :rolleyes:

Yes, this is a real thing, but you can't optimize electrical performance for a system without having the whole system. You can characterize cables by themselves, but you can't correctly tailor them without knowing the characteristics of what they are connecting. Knowing the brand name does not provide the characteristics, unless Krell components have zero variation in their parameters.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
It's not a cable, it's an equalization network. When you change the EQ it stands a good chance of sounding different. If you just spent a huge amount of money on that adjustment, well then of course it will sound better.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
This is what I think of expense miracle audio cables :D
You Do Something To Me

[video=youtube;ga0mZehXRMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga0mZehXRMw[/video]

You do that Voodoo So Well :D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Wow so the guy spent the money on the cables and then spent another $700 to have them certified?!?? Must be nice to have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I feel dumber for having read that, and I am not joking.

Sean

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
I've actually been to the audio store that he was sent to, down in Ann Arbor. I used to live down that way and I went into Paragon once just to take a gander. They have a lot of real high priced stuff in there and I was fairly quickly rubbed off as just a kid messing around. Didn't bother me much as I wasn't planning on buying anything they had, but still, I guess I should've asked them to calibrate my stuff :rolleyes:.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've actually been to the audio store that he was sent to, down in Ann Arbor. I used to live down that way and I went into Paragon once just to take a gander. They have a lot of real high priced stuff in there and I was fairly quickly rubbed off as just a kid messing around. Didn't bother me much as I wasn't planning on buying anything they had, but still, I guess I should've asked them to calibrate my stuff :rolleyes:.
Then I would call that "strike 2".

A GOOD audio store will give you attention and treat you like a customer, regardless of how you look.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Then I would call that "strike 2".

A GOOD audio store will give you attention and treat you like a customer, regardless of how you look.
Have had similar reactions from some "known" shops in the area here too, so I took my money and business elsewhere.

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
So you can teach copper to make nice with different kinds of equipment now? So that's what all the wizards spend their time doing. And here I thought they spent their time hiding from us non-magic folks and riding on broomsticks and the like.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Is there no limit to the foolery?

[video=youtube;3UQDTZcpsDE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UQDTZcpsDE[/video]​

FrancisDaniel

FrancisDaniel

Audiophyte
thanks for sharing. good insight. :) even I dont know about this. What I am only aware of is the thickness of the cables

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis