Equipment lists ruin searches

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
Some people have signatures that list what equipment they have in every post they make. I think this should be discouraged because it ruins Google searches. (I haven't tested whether it does the same to forum searches.) Sometimes I use Google to search for info so that I can search multiple audio forums at once rather than going to each forum to use their search functions.

So I make a search on a piece of equipment, and instead of discussions on that piece, I'll get endless hits on unrelated posts made by one guy who owns it and feels it necessary to list all his gear in every post. It destroys the functionality of Google groups searches.

So, I think we should discourage that sort of thing. If someone wants to list his gear, he should do it in his profile, not in his posts.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Fair enough. I respect your opinion, and I'll give mine. I think it's cool to ask other people to modify their behavior, but I think it's a lot to ask a community to discourage people from doing something because of your occasional inconvenience during web searches. You'll never get people to think about it unless you mention it, though, so it's good that you posted your thoughts.

I'm guessing that you probably never search for the stuff in my signature, though. :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Some people have signatures that list what equipment they have in every post they make. I think this should be discouraged because it ruins Google searches. (I haven't tested whether it does the same to forum searches.) Sometimes I use Google to search for info so that I can search multiple audio forums at once rather than going to each forum to use their search functions.

So I make a search on a piece of equipment, and instead of discussions on that piece, I'll get endless hits on unrelated posts made by one guy who owns it and feels it necessary to list all his gear in every post. It destroys the functionality of Google groups searches.

So, I think we should discourage that sort of thing. If someone wants to list his gear, he should do it in his profile, not in his posts.
You could always send that person a PM about the object, but I've never had this issue with searching the forums. There is nothing we love to do more than talk about our equipment. ;) How better to learn about a HK AVR 247 than from a guy who uses one everyday.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I wonder if there is a way for the Software Devs to have a hook that disables google from crawling the sigs?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
i believe using the in-forum search ignores the signatures
You can also choose not to see anyones signatures as a preference, which will also not include them in your searches.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I can only say that I don't like signatures at all. I do like the concept of everyone having a place to list their equipment, but signatures on most forums bug me, so I guess I'm a fan of keeping them to a minimum and giving people a place to really list out their equipment somewhere else.

Up to the site Admin, and I don't really care that much, but I do find a lot of what was originally metioned - when I use Google to try to get decent information, I end up in completely unrelated posts due to signatures bumping the hit potential.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, we sort of do have a place to liste the gear - user profile page. I don't have issue with that at all for one simple reason: people with signatures longer than their posts.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't see his stuff....added him to my IGNORE list :D
Darn, I completely forgot about this great feature... I'm sure to populate it with a few external DAC lovers asap ! :rolleyes:

p.s: I should clean up my sig :rolleyes:

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
I was doing a research paper on primates. I kept getting redirected to audioholics...some j@ckass named Alex;). My paper was late, I failed my class, got kicked out of college. s.o.b. had over 9600 posts! He just wouldn't go away:eek: BAN Avatars!!!!!!

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General

Why not use the avanced search features? I have never had a problem finding what I was looking for when searching.

And I think it is kind of cool :cool: that people list the equipment on this forum they are proud of ;), after all they are true audiophiles.

Peace, Serenity, and Good Sound,

Forest Man

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't see his stuff....added him to my IGNORE list :D
I'd like to know how many ignore lists I am on. :rolleyes:

Maybe Gene could put Tom on the task of finding this useless piece of info. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
All the important ones, anyway.

Telemarketers put your name on the "do not call" list.;)
I just got a land line for the first time in years but the telemarketers are recordings now. I always like asking the live ones what they are wearing and if they're hot. Another of my faves is to ask them if they know me. Then I ask why they are speaking to me.

One of 'em did get the better of me and refused to quit calling my number for hours.
I had to shut my phone off for the evening. :rolleyes:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I always like asking the live ones what they are wearing...
I started replying to Dave's post and typing a joke about that this morning, but then decided not to post it. You're like an open book sometimes, my friend. :)

I can tell that I'm maturing. I said "book" instead of, well, you can guess. :D

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I can only say that I don't like signatures at all. I do like the concept of everyone having a place to list their equipment, but signatures on most forums bug me, so I guess I'm a fan of keeping them to a minimum and giving people a place to really list out their equipment somewhere else.

Up to the site Admin, and I don't really care that much, but I do find a lot of what was originally metioned - when I use Google to try to get decent information, I end up in completely unrelated posts due to signatures bumping the hit potential.
For a while my signature was just a link to my Members System thread...like pics of my system. Since they got so out of date and switched my webhost (killing all my picture links) I took it off, but I'll probably re-take some updated pictures this weekend and do the same again.

That said, Google does index off signatures, and often people aren't talking about what's in their signature, and the better we let this site index, the more viewers we'll get finding relavent information, which may lead to potentially more users.... :)

Other thing is, I think if your going to list your system, you should list photographs too. Not exactly like everyone HAS to do that, but, I just think it puts a setup into WAY better context. Big difference in how a system is setup and used, and it's hard to give advice just knowing gear and not knowing how it's setup (room size, layout, type of walls, open walls, how the speakers are placed, where the gear is, etc.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis