K

KarenPowell

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Here is the situation - We have purchased some used  equipment - we have a cassette deck (AKAI) and a turntable (Kenwood) and we have a set of speakers.  we purchased a new stereo turner/receiver to run this equipment through - we were told we could run our turntable through the CD Jack  since it has no turntable jack - we can hear the tape fine but the turntable volume remains low.  Were we misinformed about being able to run it through the cd jack or what do we need here??  My ultimate goal is to record some old lps onto cds by using my computer.  Any help or assitance would be greatly appreciated</font>

J

James Sponaugle

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
KarenPowell : Here is the situation - We have purchased some used  equipment - we have a cassette deck (AKAI) and a turntable (Kenwood) and we have a set of speakers.  we purchased a new stereo turner/receiver to run this equipment through - we were told we could run our turntable through the CD Jack  since it has no turntable jack - we can hear the tape fine but the turntable volume remains low.  Were we misinformed about being able to run it through the cd jack or ...
Unfortunately, you were misinformed about being able to hook a turntable up to a CD jack.  The CD jack is a &quot;line level&quot; input.  Turntables produce a much lower level signal, and must be amplified greatly by the receiver.  I haven't run a turntable in a long time, so I'm not really up on the state of the art with those.  It's possible you can get some kind of external amplifier to go from the phono level signal to line level, then run that to your receiver.  Let's see... doing a quick search, here is one such device:

http://www.topdjgear.com/rane-ps-1.html

It's $168.00.  I'm not sure if that's more than you're willing to spend or not.  Someone more knowlegable on current products in this area can probably steer you toward a better/cheaper solution.

-James

EDIT: Oh, one more thing;  Since your goal is to record the LP to your computer, you probably don't really need the receiver (unless you've got that for other reasons as well).  Most likely, your sound card has a line level input on it.  If you get the turntable signal converted to line level, you can just hook it straight to your sound card and record.  Most sound cards have a 1/8&quot; stereo line level input, so you'd need a cable to go from that to the RCA style jacks on the phono pre-amp.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis