Equalizer With 2 Channel System

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I have read articles about hooking it up through the "Tape Input/Output" slots. Just wanted to confirm this is possible, or find out if there is another/better way.
That's the way to do it and the best way possible. In fact, for many unite it's the only way possible.

On the receiver, feed the "tape out" to the equalizers "line in", or whatever they call it.

Than, take the equalizers output and teed it back into the receivers "tape in".

Press the "tape monitor" button on the receiver and you're in business.

What receiver do you have?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Great, thank you! So, on the equalizer, I'm assuming I should use the "main" input/output, and not the "tape" input/output?
Correct. I cannot find your manual so I must assume you have that "tape monitor" switch. If so, you're all set.

If you had a tape recorder you would use the tape I/O on the eq for it, which would replace the one in your receiver so you wouldn't lose that functionality.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Best way to go is if your receiver has a pre-out/main in connection. Take them little U-shaped things out and run the EQ trough that. Simple>pre-out to EQ in from EQ out to main in and your good to go. If not, going trough the tape in and output section would be the only way to do it. I'll take the first choice. Looks like I am a little late with this post. Solution has been posted, I guess I am a little slow. Got beat to the punch.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Best way to go is if your receiver has a pre-out/main in connection.
Actually, it's not. You introduce less noise into the signal path by using the tape monitor circuit. The signal there is at a much higher level than it is at the preamp out because it's tapped before the voume control which actually attenuates the signal. At the tape out, it's essentially at the level signal would be if the volume control were maxed out.

If you want proof of this, feed the "tape out" into a power amp and be prepared for lotsa noise and perhaps some damaged speakers or ear drums. It would be the same as feeding the output of a CD player (or whatever source) directly into a power amp.

By introducing the eq (and it's inherent noise) into the signal chain at the lower level preamp out stage, it's noise component makes up a higher percentage of the overall signal.

Besides, most units don't have pre out/main in links. Tape monitors are, or at least were, more common. No more now that AVR's have taken over the market. They too are a dying breed.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, it's not. You introduce less noise into the signal path by using the tape monitor circuit. The signal there is at a much higher level than it is at the preamp out because it's tapped before the voume control which actually attenuates the signal. At the tape out, it's essentially at the level signal would be if the volume control were maxed out.

If you want proof of this, feed the "tape out" into a power amp and be prepared for lotsa noise and perhaps some damaged speakers or ear drums. It would be the same as feeding the output of a CD player (or whatever source) directly into a power amp.

By introducing the eq (and it's inherent noise) into the signal chain at the lower level preamp out stage, it's noise component makes up a higher percentage of the overall signal.

Besides, most units don't have pre out/main in links. Tape monitors are, or at least were, more common. No more now that AVR's have taken over the market. They too are a dying breed.
Mark you might have a valid point. I always looped from pre-outs (EQ's, Dynamic range expanders or Sonic Hologram generators) to mains in, sounded good to me. Never damaged any speakers, ear drums yes.
Besides, most units don't have pre out/main in links, power amps used to have in and outputs as well, you could daisychain as many amps with just one pre-amp and no Y-connectors where needed.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis