EQ curve similar to audyssey dynamic eq?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The onkyo I currently have doesn't have audyssey multi eq, so I'd like to create an eq curve that would do something similar for low volume listening. I suppose I could follow the iso 226 equal loudness contour, and adjust for the relative difference between 85 dB and 65 dB in the bass frequencies. Is there a better way of doing this? Unfortunately the graph for the equal loudness contour isn't that easy to read for exact SPL differences.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Get an avr with Audyssey/Dynamic EQ? :) Maybe a Yamaha with YPAO Volume? I really don't see how you're going to implement such at different volume levels easily. Doubtful you can employ such with an external unit either.

Onkyo blew it when they dropped it (Audyssey) IMO, altho my Onkyo (with MultEQ XT) can even apply it wthout Audyssey engaged plus it had a Loudness Plus mode available for THX modes.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with HD, it will be very difficult to do it right, and very easy to mess it up. Leave the job to the experts and the electronics/processors design to do the job.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Get an avr with Audyssey/Dynamic EQ? :) Maybe a Yamaha with YPAO Volume? I really don't see how you're going to implement such at different volume levels easily. Doubtful you can employ such with an external unit either.

Onkyo blew it when they dropped it (Audyssey) IMO, altho my Onkyo (with MultEQ XT) can even apply it wthout Audyssey engaged plus it had a Loudness Plus mode available for THX modes.
From what I've read, both YPAO Volume + Adaptive Dynamic Range Control are more similar to Audyssey Dynamic VOLUME and Dolby Volume + Leveler aimed for LATE NIGHT WATCHING, not to Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is NOT for Late Night Watching!!!!

Audyssey Dynamic EQ will mainly BOOST the mid-bass and slightly boost the upper treble.

I use Audyssey Dynamic EQ 100% of the time, whether the volume is 70dB or 100dB.

I use Audyssey Dynamic Volume 0% of the time.

I know PENG posted graphs of Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Has anyone seen graphs of YPAO Adaptive Dynamic Range Control?

I've never used Yamaha.

I have tried the Anthem ARC Dolby Volume & Leveler feature at a friend's house.

I found that the Anthem Dolby Volume & Leveler are more like the Audyssey Dynamic VOLUME, and nothing like the Audyssey Dynamic EQ. I didn't feel that the BASS was changed at all.

With Audyssey Dynamic EQ, I find that the BASS is changed significantly by becoming more Dynamic/robust. I didn't feel that the treble changed at all audibly.

I caution using high volume with Audyssey Dynamic EQ when watching certain movie scenes from movies like "Interstellar" and the opening scene from "Edge of Tomorrow"!!! You will literally jump off your seat and be acutely petrified. :D

It seems to be Dolby Volume + Leveler and YPAO Volume + DRC compresses/reduce the dynamic range and ultimately REDUCE the volume if it gets too high.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is just the OPPOSITE in my experience - it INCREASES the Dynamic Range and VOLUME.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From what I've read, both YPAO Volume + Adaptive Dynamic Range Control are more similar to Audyssey Dynamic VOLUME and Dolby Volume + Leveler aimed for LATE NIGHT WATCHING, not to Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is NOT for Late Night Watching!!!!

Audyssey Dynamic EQ will mainly BOOST the mid-bass and slightly boost the upper treble.

I use Audyssey Dynamic EQ 100% of the time, whether the volume is 70dB or 100dB.

I use Audyssey Dynamic Volume 0% of the time.

I know PENG posted graphs of Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Has anyone seen graphs of YPAO Adaptive Dynamic Range Control?

I've never used Yamaha.

I have tried the Anthem ARC Dolby Volume & Leveler feature at a friend's house.

I found that the Anthem Dolby Volume & Leveler are more like the Audyssey Dynamic VOLUME, and nothing like the Audyssey Dynamic EQ. I didn't feel that the BASS was changed at all.

With Audyssey Dynamic EQ, I find that the BASS is changed significantly by becoming more Dynamic/robust. I didn't feel that the treble changed at all audibly.

I caution using high volume with Audyssey Dynamic EQ when watching certain movie scenes from movies like "Interstellar" and the opening scene from "Edge of Tomorrow"!!! You will literally jump off your seat and be acutely petrified. :D

It seems to be Dolby Volume + Leveler and YPAO Volume + DRC compresses/reduce the dynamic range and ultimately REDUCE the volume if it gets too high.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is just the OPPOSITE in my experience - it INCREASES the Dynamic Range and VOLUME.
YPAO Volume should be relatively similar to DynamicEQ from what I've read, but not the same. Try this discussion, altho there is talk of a second tier for DEQ that YPAO Volume doesn't do....but neither are DRC from what I can tell.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
YPAO Volume should be relatively similar to DynamicEQ from what I've read, but not the same. Try this discussion, altho there is talk of a second tier for DEQ that YPAO Volume doesn't do....but neither are DRC from what I can tell.
It is definitely difficult to know exactly what everyone experiences or how everyone benefits from these features. For one thing, there are just too many variables in the setups and systems.

So people claiming that one EQ is better than the other doesn't prove anything other than their own personal experiences.

Thus, they could all be as good as one another depending on the setup and system.

IOW, one person could set up Audyssey DEQ to sound better than YPAO & Dolby Volume. Another person could set up YPAO or Dolby Volume to sound better than Audyssey.

Some people claim Audyssey DEQ (or YPAO or Dolby) doesn't boost the bass enough, while others say it is too aggressive with the bass.

Just reading the advertised specs and features from Audyssey vs Yamaha vs Dolby doesn't really do justice.

I think the only safe thing to conclude is that these companies try to implement their own versions of these "Volume" and "Dynamic" Equalization. :D

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is definitely difficult to know exactly what everyone experiences or how everyone benefits from these features. For one thing, there are just too many variables in the setups and systems.

So people claiming that one EQ is better than the other doesn't prove anything other than their own personal experiences.

Some people claim Audyssey DEQ (or YPAO or Dolby) doesn't boost the bass enough, while others say it is too aggressive with the bass.

Just reading the advertised specs and features from Audyssey vs Yamaha vs Dolby doesn't really do justice.

I think the only safe thing to conclude is that these companies try to implement their own versions of these "Volume" and "Dynamic" Equalization. :D
DEQ is the one I've used rather than YPAO Volume so don't really know myself, just that they've been equated (and differentiated from the DRC type routines). Some like it, some don't, but even older receivers with a loudness contour circuit got that complaint :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DEQ is the one I've used rather than YPAO Volume so don't really know myself, just that they've been equated (and differentiated from the DRC type routines). Some like it, some don't, but even older receivers with a loudness contour circuit got that complaint :)
Yeah. I thought about borrowing a Yamaha and trying it out.

But then I thought, even if I did that and concluded that Audyssey DEQ were better than YPAO Volume and YPAO ADRC, it would only prove that I liked Audyssey DEQ better. It doesn't prove that everyone would also like Audyssey DEQ better. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis