F

Firefighter520

Enthusiast
So yesterday I started calling around my area looking for someone to professionally calibrate my Epson projector when the time comes. After speaking with a professional I am really confused now. As a newbie I have learned a ton over the past year in regards to home theaters but this guy was way outside my knowledge base. Pretty much he told me the projector I am looking at is good (Epson 5010) but my screen is crap (Visual apex 120' 1.1 gain fixed screen). He said if I went down to a 106' screen I would have a "decent" picture. Every review I have read with Epson 5010 and 120' screen contradict what he said.

Here is how I would like it setup:
120' screen, 6 seats 14' back from screen in a crescent shape, projector mounted from ceiling with either a 14' or 15' throw.

Here is my room:
Room is light controlled by one window with black out shades and not open to any other area, room is approx. 16'x40' with screen mounted on the 16' wide wall.

Can someone explain in layman’s terms why he came to that decision? If he is correct what do I need to do to step it up "picture quality" wise?

Last edited:
F

Firefighter520

Enthusiast
Forgot to mention only half of this space will be used as a theater.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The VApex screens are not terribly well built, but work well enough. It is a very 'entry level' screen and long term reliability and quality really is not known. Since you were told it is 'crap', you should likely get an explanation from that person as to WHY it is crap.

The Espon 5010 is also a fairly bright projector. If you primary focus will be on 2D viewing instead of 3D, then it can pretty easily handle a size of 133" with a 1.0-1.4 gain structure on the screen.

If the VApex screen is anything like the HTDepot screens, then they have a so-so screen frame quality, the material is a bit thinner than a mid-grade screen, and it uses a bar type tensioning system which can leave a couple of wrinkles if not proerly installed. The frame is not as well built as other screens, and the surround fabric is not very thick and may be a bit loose on the frame. BUT: If carefully assembled, a properly hung, and gently handled, it will last for years without issue and will provide a very good image for years. It will be a nearly unnoticable difference to step up to a entry level DaLite or Draper screen, but their build quality would definitely be better. Image quality? Not much if any noticable difference.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I use a Favi screen and it's probably similar quality. It's definitely not crap. I think he wants to sell you a screen. Maybe you find another one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis