Epson 2030 or 5030UB?

Josh T

Josh T

Audiophyte
I'm building a theater from scratch. I only have room for a 100" screen. I got a 7.2 Denon receiver and I think I have the speakers picked out (polk LRC, 4 ceiling surrounds, 2 powered 10" subs). I'm still debating the projector.

I wanted to go with the 5030UB but it is staying steady at $1999. I keep seeing the 2030 on sale (today for $450) they both are 1080 and 3D. Does anyone have insight on if the 5030 is worth the extra cash? I want a great system, but the savings would buy almost 3 of the seats we want.

Room is 12.5w x 8h x 25l no windows, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Last edited:
T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
I've also been looking at the same projectors. I will be using mine in the living room. Tons of ambient light coming from a total of 6 large windows and a door. I don't care for 3D and I plan on watching tons of football with the occasional movie. So I changed from the Epson 2045 to the 1440 due to ability to throw a bright picture.

The 2030 sounds like a great deal and I would have jumped on it if I had more control of my lighting.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If I want a good entry level home theater, and I haven't invested a ton of money on the space, then an entry level model like the 2045 or the BenQ HT2050 makes a lot of sense. You get a lot of value for the money, but only so-so black levels. Weaker with the 2045, and weaker still with the 2030. The 2030 also isn't a great gaming projector due to input lag. But, it's a decent entry level model.

From there, the Sony HW40ES (or 45ES) is one of the absolute best under $3,000. It's a good step up, nearly completely silent, and has much stronger black levels. But, you need a good room to get the most out of it. The 5030 is comparable to the Sony.

Is it worth it?

You just spent thousands of dollars, in a home that likely costs you a good deal more than that... IMO, spending a extra $1,000 or so for the improvements that go along with it is certainly worth it. But, it is your money, not mine.

I would strongly recommend against ceiling speakers though. Especially if anyone is living above those speakers. In-wall or on wall/ceiling I would go out of my way to install. You may want to talk a bit more about it in the audio sections if you have not already.

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
I agree with everything you said with one caveat.

If you are placing the projector in a room that you are unable to adequately control the ambient light the difference in black level are negated.

I will be placing mine in the family room with 7 large windows. I can somewhat control the lights but it is nothing like having a dedicated room.

The Sony is a better projector in the right room

If I had a dedicated room, I would seriously be considering the JVC rs400 or the upcoming Epson 5040.

I'm still in the 1440 camp due to circumstances but my eyes are open.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis