Entry Level Receivers Comparison Guide

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In a budge receiver, you are looking for the most bang for your buck. What you will need to focus on is what you actually need. Many of the receivers are limited in their compatibility and functionality based on price point. The trick is to clearly know what you need so that you are getting it all in the receiver you choose. These units from Denon, Harmon Kardon, Onyko, Pioneer, and Yamaha represent the first tier in their receiver lines.

Discuss "Entry Level Receivers Comparison Guide" here. Read the article.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
^ I was expecting you Isiberian. ;) But you have to step out of that category... :p

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Don't you know it's my job to sweep up behind you. You don't even know my handle after all.:p
Hep, the HK guy with a previous Onkyo receiver (705), with home made speakers, and a strong follower of Chris, with pretty good knowledge on subwoofers, love his cute little KEF egg shaped speakers for surrounds, knows a thing or two about value power amplifiers (Pro Yamaha), and the record holder on daily post average.
Oh, and a very nice guy too, very polite and respectful. :)

So, is it a part of your handle Isiberian? ;)

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Nice write up here!

A couple of years ago, Onkyo really brought it to the competition, bringing features and quality to lower price points than just about anybody else at the time.

Denon has stayed very consistent. They're usually not the cheapest, but their power section is as rock solid as ever and they are always competitive in terms of features.

H/K too seems to be very consistent, but, unfortunately, consistent in offering fewer features at any given price bracket. Their power section is rock solid though.

Yamaha has been disappointing me over the past couple of years. They've let their power section decrease in quality in order to keep up with features and lower price points.

Pioneer seems to really be on the rise at the moment. They remind me a lot of Onkyo from a couple of years ago as they are pushing the envelope in terms of features whilst keeping their power section decent and lowering prices.

I remain a Denon fan - they are just "safe" as you can almost always rely upon them to be up-to-the-minute in features and rock solid in amplifier performance. Pioneer are the exciting ones at the moment though, but I fully expect that Yamaha will do a whole-hog revamp of their design within the next couple of years in order to pull the same sort of leap-frog over everyone. Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha seem to do that on about a 6 year cycle, so it's always fun to watch them battle it out :)

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I too have been more than a little dissapointed in Yamaha's latest offerings. If I were to look for a new receiver right now, I would be giving the Denon AVR-1910 a good hard look.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
^ Ya, but the Denon AVR-1910 is not an entry level receiver from that list.

* Then, I'll seriously consider the Denon AVR-4810ci. :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I know it's not entry level, but I don't buy entry level gear anymore :D I was just saying for my own personal needs, that's what I would be looking at, since Yamaha is dropping the ball.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Overall its an ok article but not all that informative.

He states that these are the first tier receivers in the manufactures line but uses the Pioneer 819 instead of the 519. But uses first tier models for the all the other manufactures.

Another fact not mentioned is how cheap it is to get the second tier model with most of the other manufactures. The Onkyo 507 is 349.00 all over the internet from authorized dealers, and offers all the HD codecs. The Pioneer 3rd tier receiver the 919 receiver can be had for 379.00.

The only two that cost over 100 more are the HK and Yamaha. But the 154 retails for 299 not 399. It would have been more more informative if he talked about street prices from authorized to dealers.

Another item that is not clear is if Tom is stating the HK does have variable crossover functions or does not. If he is stating it does not. Then it does. It has seperate crossovers for all channels.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Well, unfortunately, that's the fault of the stupid world of MSRP, MAP and then the REAL price - not Tom's

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Well, it's only the market as of now with the MSRP and the different features with the times we live in now (poor economy). It's only 2009, still quite early to take a nap, don't you think? ;)

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic
5.1 Channels.....no upconversion to HDMI.....no upscaling to 1080P.....Waste of money. You might as well keep your legacy receiver if you like the way it sounds.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
5.1 Channels.....no upconversion to HDMI.....no upscaling to 1080P.....Waste of money. You might as well keep your legacy receiver if you like the way it sounds.
I absolutely agree with you TRT. But if you were new to the audio world, and you didn't know better, which receiver you think you might end up choosing?
Just try to imagine that you are totally a newbee at this. :)
I know it's not easy for people like us, but just try.

Me, I already did that, and made my choice. ;)

* By the way, great system you have there my friend, I just love some of the components (pretty much most of them) you have. :)

C

chuckdaly

Audiophyte
No DVD output over component on HK receivers

Although many have moved on from component video to HDMI, or just entered the game, some still use it. The HK receiver will not pass copy protected DVD video through their AVR's component video output. So component video switching on their units is useless given that most DVDs manufactured in the last 3 years have copy protection. It Doesn't stop anyone from illegally copying DVDs, just stops one from fully utilizing their product. I would avoid HK receivers just out of principal.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The chart for the receivers states that the Onkyo TX-SR307 can process HD audio, Onkyo's website states that the receiver is HDMI 1.3a pass thru only.

The best value AVR wasn't part of the comparison, but it was mentioned. The Pioneer VSX-519 would be what I'd take home if I was on a budget cap of $300, and I'd get to save $100.:D

O

OUBobBud

Enthusiast
HDMI Pass through

I'm glad I caught this article. Almost bought the Onkyo 307 until I saw the HDMI inputs are just pass through. I need a small receiver for a bedroom and will be hooking up just a PS3 via HDMI. Any other recommendations for a budget receiver that will have the HDMI decoders and actually play high def sound? The chart leads me to believe that the Denon and Pioneer would work? Or maybe just buy the Onkyo 507? Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis