entire home theater

L

live4u

Audiophyte
Hi,
I have an old HK full HT system(5.1). I am planing to upgrade in the equipment to a 7.1. I am googling a lot to understand the audiophile language about drivers, sub woofers etc... :) I am trying to buy used equipment preferably B&W or M&K for the 7.1 or a mix of both depending on your feedback. My house has a open plan so this equipment will be in my family room which is open to kitchen and living room. The TV is used most of the time but for movies, I will switch on the surround.

Also, I am looking at a pre pro (integra 80.3 maybe or emotiva), amps (emotiva, bryston, parasound). Any links to read through reviews that are authentic from users is highly appreciated.

Thanks

jinjuku

jinjuku

What is the cubic footage? What will be the seating distance from the speakers? What is your overall budget? Are you going to be re-using any of your current equipment? What is the current equipment by model #?

As example if your HK 5.1 receiver has full 5.1 analog inputs you could use it as an amp for surrounds and then get a couple of Crown amps for the front LCR. No need on spending $$ on Parasound or the like when it's not going to net you anything. Also a higher end receiver may be all you need vs external amplification.

L

live4u

Audiophyte
What is the cubic footage? What will be the seating distance from the speakers? What is your overall budget? Are you going to be re-using any of your current equipment? What is the current equipment by model #?

As example if your HK 5.1 receiver has full 5.1 analog inputs you could use it as an amp for surrounds and then get a couple of Crown amps for the front LCR. No need on spending $$ on Parasound or the like when it's not going to net you anything. Also a higher end receiver may be all you need vs external amplification.

Thanks for responding.

Total family room is around 600sft.
Disatance from equipment will be around 8-10ft.
If I can reuse some of the stuff from my equipment which goes well with other, then its good.
My budget is 3000-4000$ (not including tv).
My 5.1 receiver is not good as it has one HDMI input and I am looking at a minimum of 4 inputs already.
For high end receiver, I need 4k ultra HD, I was thinking about pioneer elite 700 or marantz (NR1604 or SR5008). Is one of these a good idea or should I go for something else?
I am also looking at B&W 600 series 5.1 HT setup which you can get used or a M&K. I dont have much knowledge on M&K though. What do you think?

jinjuku

jinjuku

What is the make / model of receiver? Are you considering in-wall, on wall, free standing for the surrounds?

L

live4u

Audiophyte
What is the make / model of receiver? Are you considering in-wall, on wall, free standing for the surrounds?
Bookshelf or smaller ones, on the wall. The front speakers can be towers or on the wall

jinjuku

jinjuku

The Marantz is a solid AVR so I would stick with that.

Also check out SVS and Ascend Audio for speakers. You have a large area to fill so I would focus a bit more budget on two subs if you have reasonable placement options. Or one higher quality one.

See what they can do on a 3.2 package and use your current speakers for surround duty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis