Entertainment Center

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Turns out, the SPL meter on the phone was right. :) I didn't think it was too far off, since my receiver was set at around -50 dB. My Radio Shack meter won't read below 50 dB, and I had to turn the receiver up about 15 dB for it to register anything. I can talk, and the phone will read up to about 80 dB - so that makes sense to me, since I'm so close to it. It's in dBA (I'm almost certain).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the RS meter and phone meter would read very close once I turned up the receiver far enough for the RS meter to show anything.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
One of the things that really counts in my book is the operating temp of gear. I wonder how the RPA-1 behaves in that regard.
Very cool. As you can garner from my post above, I don't tax it - but it's been on for 30 minutes, and I can feel any heat at all.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It is crazy, which is why I'm hoping to avoid the AB amp for a $2500 cinenova if an acceptable one comes up. There's also a place out by Adam that claims to be an authorized dealer that sell supposedly brand new ones for $2800-3000. I'm extremely interested in contacting them and seeing if they can get a silver one.

As for temp, you mean you want it to run cool so you never have to worry about it overheating? I know I could push the heck out of the outlaw and my old rotel and they would get on the high side of warm at the hottest. Excellent designs. OTOH there's the cinepro, the AB 800.2, and the Threshold which are all meant to run blazingly hot as the norm.

There was a black version on eBay for $25 less than the silver one IIRC. 4k seems crazy but then again hobby is a misnomer for passion. One of the things that really counts in my book is the operating temp of gear. I wonder how the RPA-1 behaves in that regard. I'm thinking of using one or maybe two Behringer A500 amps for these subs but then again this Aragon beast is already here. It just bugs me that it's the wrong tool for the job ... and black would suit me better ... and it's 2 feet tall!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Two subs? What about a single crest pro lite 3.0 for $479?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
As for temp, you mean you want it to run cool so you never have to worry about it overheating?
No, I don't want it throwing heat off into my living space. Having the AC run non stop is annoying.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No, I don't want it throwing heat off into my living space. Having the AC run non stop is annoying.
I definitely understand that. I have a huge problem in the summers with the TV. Damn plasmas are like giant space heaters. Now that I think of it so is the projector.

Note to self get a bigger AC unit.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Two subs? What about a single crest pro lite 3.0 for $479?
Fan noise is what prompted me to give my last pro amp away. I know the Behringer 4000 is pretty quiet with a fan mod but the A500 spec's out at the rated input for my subs at xmax and can be had for $75 each (if I want 2) from Jeff the x-mod and has no fans.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Fan noise is what prompted me to give my last pro amp away. I know the Behringer 4000 is pretty quiet with a fan mod but the A500 spec's out at the rated input for my subs at xmax and can be had for $75 each (if I want 2) from Jeff the x-mod and has no fans.
$75 is hard to beat. I say do that :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis