Energy RC-30. Opinions?

K

kluvlaw

Enthusiast
I bought a pair unheard and sight unseen in the rosenut finish yesterday because Audio Advisor has them on sale so ridiculously low (b stock) I had to give them a shot. If I don't like them, I can resell them for at least what I paid, IMO.

The finish looks gorgeous and I've wanted a smaller front for some time (I have had big black ugly Wharfedale Valdus 500's for 6 years, yuck); I especially wanted a sweeter midrange and consider it a given w/ the upgrade. I really liked the high excursion drivers for additional bass over a conventional 5 ¼ driver as well.

Can anyone who owns, or has heard, a pair give me their experiences w/ this model (or any of the others in the RC line)?

Appreciate any input.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Imo

the Energy RC's are very warm, detailed and not fatiguing in their presentation and provide excellent quick puncy bass. I know this sounds like a cliche and it might be, but I do love the sound of the RC's, especially the mid bass. I personally auditioned the RC 50's and most recently the RC 10's and the only difference IMO with the 50's & 30's is less bass due to the smaller woofers. I don't know what kind of sound you like and I'm not familiar with your current set up, but you should find these to your liking. If not, then you should be able to sell them, easy enough:)

PS: Now, if we could move into our new house:(. Here is a link if you have some time to read other owners views on these and other Energy speakers.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=630450&page=1&pp=30

K

kluvlaw

Enthusiast
Thanks...

I appreciate the input.
This is such a competitive range in the market that I assumed there would be some audioholics/steroephile reviews out there. I was surprised I couldn't find any on the RC-30 except for a few who wrote in to audioreview.com and I found that AVS thread as well.
I didn't notice the thread was 48 pages deep though; I'll brose while bored at work today.
My old fronts had an 8" midrange which I always found to be too slow and murky, I'm ecstatic about the prospect of accurate midrange reproduction. I'm fine w/ less bass as well, since i have a nice earthquake sub w/ dual 10's (one passive to move more air) that has me covered for both 2.1 and 5.1 listening.
My receiver was the flagship Kenwood before they stopped producing HT gear; Sovereign 5900, 135 WPC, 6 ohms, which is plenty for my room. It's paired w/ the Sovereign DV-5900 DVD player which IMO is even better for music than DVD's; it also has DVD-A capability. It's a good 4-5 year old model now. Great DAC's w/ the ability to disable the video circuitry when doing critical listening; (always wondered why that didn't catch on w/ more players).
Anyway, thanks again.

Last edited:
M

myhdht

Audiophyte
RE: Energy speakers

Just bought a pair the other day they sound as good as they look

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I auditioned the rc's 30's before I bought my rc 50's. When I put up a music room I will be getting some rc 70's and the RC 10's will go upstairs for a small set up for music/ some TV on the little CRT screan. This won't be for some time but it's the future for me.. unless I will the lotery then who knows.

I wanted to get into the veritas line. To much though I have to have some limits"... well the GAF does....

The 30's are great though. I just like more midbass for my music and movies, as I hate "bright" systems, I so often hear in others high end home set ups.

I think vocals really shine and so do bass notes when listening to jazz music. I supose if it had a down fall it would be it's not as bright.... but thats exactly what I feel is way overdone in most set ups. I fell in love and purchaced a whole roon filled with RC series speakers based on the original RC 30 audition.

I'm a fan boy, flame away
=P

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis