Energy front speakers quality

J

jskoreyk

Audiophyte
I'm just curious, i bought these energy cr-70 speakers for 2500 bucks back in early 2000 and I'm just wondering if they are any good nowadays? I'm new to this whole speaker thing and i'm not sure what's good or not. I figure these ones were at some point good because of the price, and they seemed nice and loud, but are they good? and i just bought a couple polk audio r-15 bookshelf speakers for 6 bucks: will those be ok with my fronts?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Nah, those are absolute junk. They're so bad I feel compelled to personally come by and get rid of them for you, since I'm such a nice guy and I don't want you to contaminate yourself touching them.

Send me a PM with your address.

J

jskoreyk

Audiophyte
haha. Not likely. I'm not a complete moron, although it may sound like it. I know these are good speakers but what I'm trying to figure out is how good. For example, on a scale of 1 to 10, what would these be at? I've seen a couple reviews but they always seem biased. I just want an honest opinion.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I don't really know, I've never listened to them. Energy is a quality manufacturer, and I presume any high-end speaker they've made is a good unit. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being a boombox and 10 being a $100,000 speaker, these are probably a solid 6, while those Polks you have are a 3.

The trouble is that you seem to be trying to build a multichannel setup with great mains and poor surrounds. I'm not sure how satisfying that would be. What other equipment do you have? Do you have a sub? What sort of place will you be using them?

Personally I'd be tempted to use them as dedicated music speakers in some other room by pairing them with a high quality stereo receiver and do something else for the HT.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If you like them, that's what matters. I really like energy speakers but I have not heard those particular models.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I just did some searching, and apparently they're in the same class as the Paradigm Studio 60, which I have heard.

So maybe more like a 7 or 8. I was in love with the Studio 60 at one point. If I had ever had the money to choose between that speaker and the NHT 2.5i I would have been in a pickle.

J

jskoreyk

Audiophyte
Well as it stands my home theater is in the process of being built. Problem is that I'm a student and can't afford anymore quality peices. I picked up the polk audio's for now because they were cheap and i've heard polk audio is half decent. And the sub i have is crap, something that I got second hand from a buddy, and I think i blew it pretty quick. As for the centre channel I'm lacking one. But, What i have right now are 2 energy cr 70 fronts, and my receiver is a yamahw htr-5890, as well as the r 15 bookshelf plok audios. It's in a large basement area for now but may move to a smaller living room in the future. I figure that as long as it gets me through another year or two i should be able to start building around my energy speakers.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
If you like them, that's what matters. I really like energy speakers but I have not heard those particular models.
+1 ... If *you* like them isn't that all that matters, regardless of their cost.

FWIW, I have rc-70s as my mains and I do enjoy them. However, I personally think they are not worth the retail price they're usually asking for them.

Steve

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Well as it stands my home theater is in the process of being built. Problem is that I'm a student and can't afford anymore quality peices. I picked up the polk audio's for now because they were cheap and i've heard polk audio is half decent. And the sub i have is crap, something that I got second hand from a buddy, and I think i blew it pretty quick. As for the centre channel I'm lacking one. But, What i have right now are 2 energy cr 70 fronts, and my receiver is a yamahw htr-5890, as well as the r 15 bookshelf plok audios. It's in a large basement area for now but may move to a smaller living room in the future. I figure that as long as it gets me through another year or two i should be able to start building around my energy speakers.
Then just use the RC-70s as fronts with a phantom center. Set them to "large" on the receiver since you have no sub. Put the R150s as your surrounds. Next upgrade should be a sub, I'd think.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Oh I just googled CR-70s and didn't find crap so I realized that he must have transposed things and meant the RC-70s. I really like the RC series - I have 50s, 10s, and the LCR. Unfortunately I do not have the RC-70s, but I would love to and many others do like them.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc70.htm
http://www.hometheater.com/content/energy-reference-connoisseur-rc-70-surround-speaker-system
http://www.hometheater.com/content/energy-reference-connoisseur-rc-70-speaker-system

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis