Energy C-3's. First impressions... Pics too!

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
The FedEx lady that came by made my day. I immediately opened them up, set up the speaker stands, and fired them up.

I was amazed by the sound quality when I heard the C-3's in an audio store about 2 years ago. Finally I was able to pull some money together and make the purchase. I'm a poor college student here are University of North Dakota so my home theater is on a strict budget. These C-3's are amazing! For $250 a pair at AudioAdvisor, you can't beat that.

I auditioned them with some music first with the following songs:

Dire Straits - "Money For Nothing" (very good speaker testing song, for obvious reasons)
Chopin - "Fantasie Impromptu" and several other waltzes and nocturnes by pianist Vladimir Horowitz
Liszt - "La Campanella"
Toto - "Pamela" (good bass groove)
Sting - "Shape Of My Heart" (vocals...guitar really crystal clear)
Steely Dan - "Hey Nineteen"
Pat Metheny - "Minuano"
Pat Metheny - "Last Train Home"
Everything But The Girl - whole entre Like the Deserts Miss The Rain Album (the lead singer's voice is amazing on these speakers)
Earth, Wind, and Fire - "September"
Richard Marx - "Keep Coming Back"

The speakers do so well with bass that you really don't need the sub on while listening to music. Keep in mind this is for a bedroom home theater in a 2-bedroom apartment, but when I pick up a older used Sony CRT projector from a local seller next weekend I will move all the equipment to the living room. If I put the projector in my bedroom the length will only allow about a 5 foot wide picture.

The only issue I have living in an apartment is I can't really play music or movies very loud do to my consideration for the surrounding neighbors. I may ask them for their permission to turn up a movie during the evening. This summer I am looking for a small duplex/town home with a basement. This way the sound will be better contained and will only have 1 other neighbor next door.

Don't laugh about the two Sony bookshelf speakers I put on top of my TV for a center channel - they really sound like trash. When I pull enough money together again I'll get an Energy C-C1 for the center.

Take 2's moved to the back as rear surrounds:

Old Energy e:XL-S10 sub:

Last edited:
J

JES14

Audioholic
They are a nice speaker, enjoy! No laughter here on your setup, wish I had something as good at that age.:p

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
you gotta do some repostioning of stuff in that room lol I bet you can make it sound and look alot better if you like moved your bed to the other side and then put the tv in the middle well not in.....ehh u get what i mean... lol

your setup is looking great and im sure those C3s Rock that room!!

Good stuff

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
Hipnotic4 said:
you gotta do some repostioning of stuff in that room lol I bet you can make it sound and look alot better if you like moved your bed to the other side and then put the tv in the middle well not in.....ehh u get what i mean... lol

your setup is looking great and im sure those C3s Rock that room!!

Good stuff
You are very correct - I've been battling with the thought of rearranging so that the TV can go in the middle. The room is so small that if I put the TV and audio rack cabinet in the middle you can barely get through to get the other side of the room (about 10 inches wide of walk way space).

I'm thinking about buying a TV mount that can swivel downward (like have a vertical height adjustment). This way I can have the TV in the center like it should and move the TV up high when not in use, then move it down to eye level for watching movies.

Any yes the C-3's rock this room - however they also rock the neighbors bedroom on the other side of the wall :D I hope I don't get any complaints - these North Dakota apartments are built under ND standards, which means... .001mm thick walls :eek:

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
Hipnotic4 said:
btw this is a great picture:D
Ha! Thanks a lot - Canon A70 point and shoot digital... but I tweaked with the apeture and shutter speed a little bit.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
JaceTheAce said:
Ha! Thanks a lot - Canon A70 point and shoot digital... but I tweaked with the apeture and shutter speed a little bit.
suree you did:rolleyes: lol

Z

ZoFo

Audioholic
Might want to hurry on the C-C1

This Energy line has been discontinued :)mad: ) and they are getting very hard to find.

I bought 3 of the C-C3 LCR Speakers for my fronts and am using the C-3 for my sides and just hooked up a pair of C-1's last night for my rear surrounds - awsome!:D

I wanted to have a set of 5 of the 3-way LCR C-C3's but when I tried to find them I found one that was in Black but none in Maple. I also tried to find the C-R3 surround speakers and could not get them in White or Maple anywhere.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis