Emptek e5ti or Aperion Intimus 6T

J

jaycle

Audiophyte
I'm just starting to build a 2 speaker system for HT and music. Clean, crisp movie dialog is a must. So, these 2 speakers will have to be full range and able to handle HT and music. Here are a few of the local deals I came across so far:

A pair the discontinued model of Emptek e5ti's for $200.

A pair of Aperion Intimus 6T's for $600. I think he is pretty firm on the price.

I know the Aperion is probably a way better speaker but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to tell the difference. And for $600 bucks, there are probably better deals out there? On the other hand, I wonder if I'll have the Emptek's for a year or so, then decide to upgrade and they won't be worth anything, whereas the Aperions will hold their re-sale value better? But, are the Aperions worth 3 times as much!

Just some thoughts. $500-$600 is about my limit for a pair of towers. I'm probably not going to add on to the system, there just isn't enough room in our tiny house. I'm also not real keen on trading up on speakers every few years, I'm just looking for a pair of nice speakers that I'll have for many years. They will be powered by a Marantz NR 1501 receiver.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You wont find true full range speakers for this budget, in fact not unless you go 10x more expensive speakers ...
If you want a full range sound you'd be better off with bookshelf + sub and careful positioning and a proper bass management at avr.
[h=4]CAMBRIDGE AUDIO S30 4½" 2-way Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black | Accessories4less[/h]or
SuperZero 2.1 | Bookshelf Speakers | Premium Audio Equipment

both great, I would choose nht if you intend to place them against the wall or s30 if not

Sub - STF-2 Subwoofer

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
+1 on the suggestion to go 2.1 rather than 2.0.
A pair the discontinued model of Emptek e5ti's for $200.
Considering the E5B on sale is $190, at that price you should buy the E5Ti. I have heard them and they are very clear. Just not loud enough to fill a large room, we're taking 30x20ft. with reference level sound, when played full range.

If you use a receiver to do bass management, they will be better than a bookshelf speakers setup. More drivers keeps the distortion in check when you push them to play louder.

Emp is having their holiday sale and you can get 2 of the matched 1010i subs for $500.

For just $100 over budget, you'll have a 2.2 system that will last a very very long time.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Anyone see a HUGE gap in the market for a nice, quality sub at about $400-450? The pb-1000 is great and all and digs deep, but likely not at great spl's (going to look at the spl charts on it after I type this and compare to some others). Below that everything is very peaky in the 40+ range, sounds bad or is geared more towards spl. I would think someone could put together a ported 12" in a generic, but still nice looking cab with a good driver and say 350-400watt amp for around that price...and still make money.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Unless you can DIY. Then you have some truly excellent options, not including amplifiers. However, a Tuba can be run off of an extra amp channel and deliver tons of output.

Anyone see a HUGE gap in the market for a nice, quality sub at about $400-450? The pb-1000 is great and all and digs deep, but likely not at great spl's (going to look at the spl charts on it after I type this and compare to some others). Below that everything is very peaky in the 40+ range, sounds bad or is geared more towards spl. I would think someone could put together a ported 12" in a generic, but still nice looking cab with a good driver and say 350-400watt amp for around that price...and still make money.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Anyone see a HUGE gap in the market for a nice, quality sub at about $400-450? The pb-1000 is great and all and digs deep, but likely not at great spl's (going to look at the spl charts on it after I type this and compare to some others).
The PB-1000 I had was able to play pretty loud, especially when you consider it's cost and size. You might be surprised by what it can do.

Below that everything is very peaky in the 40+ range, sounds bad or is geared more towards spl. I would think someone could put together a ported 12" in a generic, but still nice looking cab with a good driver and say 350-400watt amp for around that price...and still make money.
The Dayton SUB-1500 might fit that bill. The SUB-1200 I have now has proven to be quite a bargain for it's selling price.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Just some thoughts. $500-$600 is about my limit for a pair of towers. I'm probably not going to add on to the system, there just isn't enough room in our tiny house. I'm also not real keen on trading up on speakers every few years, I'm just looking for a pair of nice speakers that I'll have for many years. They will be powered by a Marantz NR 1501 receiver.
The 1501 doesn't have a tremendous amount of power in reserve, so when looking for speakers pay particular attention to the Sensitivity they have. Above 90dB would be ideal, unless you don't listen very loud. With that in mind, here are a few you might want to consider...

Those are listed in order of sensitivity, highest to lowest.

N

n0rth

Audioholic Intern

what about this?

HTD Level THREE Powered Subwoofer

J

jaycle

Audiophyte
ok, so for $600 i could buy the new e55ti's for $290 a piece or the older used, discontinued e5ti's for $200 for the pair. i'm leaning toward the new ones or is there much of a sound difference between the old and new, $600 vs $200. in terms of midrange clarity for movie dialog, is there much difference difference between the two?

Thanks.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
ok, so for $600 i could buy the new e55ti's for $290 a piece or the older used, discontinued e5ti's for $200 for the pair. i'm leaning toward the new ones or is there much of a sound difference between the old and new, $600 vs $200. in terms of midrange clarity for movie dialog, is there much difference difference between the two?

Thanks.
Niether speaker excel in bass capability but the E55ti has a much larger soundstage and better midrange performance b/c of the MTM array. Pair those speakers with one or two of the 1010i subs and you've got a system that plays very LOUD and Clean. Those are good prices as a pair of the 1010 subs for $500 would be wonderful for music.

J

jaycle

Audiophyte
sounds good. any other suggestions for better bass but still clean crisp midrange in that price range or less?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis