EMP tower placement question

R

rocketishere

Enthusiast
I just purchased the EMP E5Ti towers, E55Ci, and E5Bi's. I thought it was a pretty good sale last w/e. I was considering recessing the towers ~4" or so in the front wall. I am in the process of finishing my basement and can recess into the studs to give a cleaner look. My question is about the sound. Will this affect the overall sound from these speakers when I do this?

Thanks for any input on this matter.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I just purchased the EMP E5Ti towers, E55Ci, and E5Bi's. I thought it was a pretty good sale last w/e. I was considering recessing the towers ~4" or so in the front wall. I am in the process of finishing my basement and can recess into the studs to give a cleaner look. My question is about the sound. Will this affect the overall sound from these speakers when I do this?
For starters, there will be diffraction off the front wall muddying up the sound, especially in the region from 1khz - 6khz and especially as SPLs go up.

Second, the sound will become dark and bottom heavy from the excess lower midrange. Now these speakers prefer being close to walls (IE 10" - 15") because of their forward sound, but not recessed into a wall.

Third, and this is the biggest one, the vents are located at the rear. This will have a grave effect on the bass. Without the vent the 6" bass drivers will not even hit 100hz for crossing to a subwoofer.

R

rocketishere

Enthusiast
First of all...thank you for your input.

I will change my plans then and just keep them on the floor. I assume I will have the same issues with the center channel? I guess I will likely have to figure out a shelf of some sort for the center. Any suggestions there?

Thanks again!

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
I have the e55ti's and have them about 4 inches from the wall. I cross them over to a sub at 80hz. Was considering plugging the ports and movie them closer to the wall figuring I could still get them down to around 60hz. I think I am going to send EMP an email to see what affect plugging the ports would have and to see if they have tested them this way.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I have the e55ti's and have them about 4 inches from the wall. I cross them over to a sub at 80hz. Was considering plugging the ports and movie them closer to the wall figuring I could still get them down to around 60hz. I think I am going to send EMP an email to see what affect plugging the ports would have and to see if they have tested them this way.
Plugging one port brought my F3 up to around 80-90hz or so, with a more shallow rolloff towards around 40hz or wherever the new tuning becomes.

Plugging both ports brings F3 up to aroun 150hz which is unacceptable.

R

rocketishere

Enthusiast
I have a Rythmik FV12 on the way, which I understand should give me good coverage down low. I assume I am looking at the same considerations with the 55Ci for center?
Thanks for the info guys.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I have a Rythmik FV12 on the way, which I understand should give me good coverage down low. I assume I am looking at the same considerations with the 55Ci for center?
Thanks for the info guys.
I can't really help you on the center front. I had the E5Ci center and after living with it on and off I finally decided to take it out of the room and run a phantom center. I was just never satisfied with the EMP center. The e55Ci looks like the same speaker, with a bit more power handling.

R

rocketishere

Enthusiast
I'm sorry....it is the E56Ci that I did get. I hope to do a quick trial this w/e to see what they all sound like. I am thinking at this point....after looking at the center channel that I will be placing it on a table below the T.V. My wife is definitely not happy with the size of everything (towers and center), but I am really excited to hear them! Different perspective on things I guess...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Plugging one port brought my F3 up to around 80-90hz or so, with a more shallow rolloff towards around 40hz or wherever the new tuning becomes.

Plugging both ports brings F3 up to aroun 150hz which is unacceptable.
That doesn't seem right. Plugging the ports will bring F3 more towards system resonance which is around 70-80Hz.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I can't really help you on the center front. I had the E5Ci center and after living with it on and off I finally decided to take it out of the room and run a phantom center. I was just never satisfied with the EMP center. The e55Ci looks like the same speaker, with a bit more power handling.
There is no E55Ci, but there is an E56Ci and it has more advantages over the E5ci than just power handling. The MTM is more optimally oriented to reduce lobing and adding the two woofers takes the strain off the mids to play more cleanly and it also adds much needed bass response that was missing in the smaller E5Ci. My sister-in-law just got this setup and she loves it!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Gene, I went and remeasured these speakers again (IN ROOM). It looks like you're correct - the port doesn't contribute until about 140hz, so the F3 appears to make it below 80hz:

I think the mistake I made, was that Audyssey seems to set the automatic crossover at 160hz with both ports stuffed - which admittedly doesn't represent a true measurement.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, I went and remeasured these speakers again (IN ROOM). It looks like you're correct - the port doesn't contribute until about 140hz, so the F3 appears to make it below 80hz:

I think the mistake I made, was that Audyssey seems to set the automatic crossover at 160hz with both ports stuffed - which admittedly doesn't represent a true measurement.

Don't EVER trust a measurement graph Audyssey produces. It's complete BUNK. One reviewer from another online A/V publication actually publishes his before/after Audyssey calibration measurements generated by Audyssey as loudspeaker measurement, LOL. The graphs Audyssey produces are ideal target graphs and really don't represent an actual in-room measurement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis