Emotiva's ERM-1 or Monitor RS-6

Stripes

Stripes

Full Audioholic
Hello all, its time for me to upgrade my system. My old system comprising of entry level Onkyo, Klipsch, Boston, and Infinity will either go in my bedroom or get sold. With all the new gear out in 08' this is a tuff decision, I'm thinking about waiting until April to check out Emotiva's new LMC-2, and try a first time at seperates. But then again Yamaha and Denon are also on my maybe list. But for this post my concern is the speakers to go along with it. I've read that speakers are the most important part of the system so I want my choice to be the right one. I was 100% sure I was going to go with the Monitor RS-6's then piece by piece get the rest of the Silver Series. Then I saw the Emotivas line of speakers and it made me stop and think. This system looks awesome for the price!

So I guess my question is what does everyone think? My system will be almost 50/50 music & HT. How would the sound be compared between the two? Any advise would be greatly appriciated in helping me make the right decision. Thanks

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't heard the RS6, but I would expect that there will be a considerable difference between them and the Emotiva. For starters, you will need a sub with the Emotiva. You didn't mention it, but if you don't have a good sub now, consider it part of the system cost. Then again, you will probably want to use a sub with the MA's as well for LFE.

I have heard the Emotiva speakers. I thought they were the standout product at last years Audioholics event. They sounded very detailed and neutral, pleasing to my ears. They are solidly built and were demonstrated to take quite a bit of power without a hint of strain. Combined with a DSA-1 subwoofer system, I think they will be a considerable performer, both in sound quality and value. But it's hard to judge the Emo's against the MA's without having heard them.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
I have a Monitor Audio speaker system.

The front RS6 are solid, with a good sound stage definition. They are enough for music playback. But they'll need a sub for movies.

I'm using a pair of RS1 for my rear that I'm planning on changing for the Axiom QS8 in a few weeks.

If I was starting over, I'd seriously consider an Axiom Audio setup, minus the sub. I love my big SVS sub for movies!

Stripes

Stripes

Full Audioholic
I haven't heard the RS6, but I would expect that there will be a considerable difference between them and the Emotiva. For starters, you will need a sub with the Emotiva. You didn't mention it, but if you don't have a good sub now, consider it part of the system cost. Then again, you will probably want to use a sub with the MA's as well for LFE.

I have heard the Emotiva speakers. I thought they were the standout product at last years Audioholics event. They sounded very detailed and neutral, pleasing to my ears. They are solidly built and were demonstrated to take quite a bit of power without a hint of strain. Combined with a DSA-1 subwoofer system, I think they will be a considerable performer, both in sound quality and value. But it's hard to judge the Emo's against the MA's without having heard them.
If I did go with the Emo's I would be getting the DSA-1, paired with the LMC-2 and the MPS-2, Now with either I choose it will have to be piece by piece.
I just wish I could demo the emo's, I'm not buying until June so maybe by then there will be more reviews on the system.

J

jephdood

Junior Audioholic
I'm using a pair of RS1 for my rear that I'm planning on changing for the Axiom QS8 in a few weeks.
Kolia.. are you selling the RS1's then?

Last edited:
Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Kolia.. are you selling the RS1's then?
Possibly. I'm trying to "not upgrade too quickly"! :rolleyes:

You're interested?

They're 2 years old, cherry real wood veneer and I have to original packaging. One has a slight discoloration from hitting the side of a table. I can get you some pictures by email.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The LMC-2 has been postponed to around June due to delays with Dolby releasing new chips I believe.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva speakers

FYI,
I heard that AH has a pair of the Emotiva speakers for review. Not sure on the shipping date on these but it must be getting close.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis