Emotiva XPR-1 Mono-block Reference Power Amplifier

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The latest in a series of reference quality amplifiers, the Emotiva XPR-1, while hardly inexpensive in an absolute sense, comes in at a price just north of a four-figures. This is substantially less than most other amplifiers that boast similar specifications, which often approach, and some cross, the five-figure mark. Clocking in at 99 pounds per channel, and it is only a single channel, the XPR-1 is a monster of an amplifier. Basically, it appears that the XPR-1 is an XPR-2 with one less amplifier channel, sporting the same 30 pound, 2.5 kVA transformer and 240,000 uF capacitor bank, but just with one less output module and providing nearly twice the power output per channel.

Discuss "Emotiva XPR-1 Mono-block Reference Power Amplifier" here. Read the XPR-1 Preview Article.

New: 5/6/13: Check out our Full Review of the Emotiva XPR-1 Amplifier with Bench Tests.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Giant, well crafted amplifier, blah blah blah, gold plated this and billet that blah blah blah, excellent price and value blah blah blah...

Connecting them to the Status 8Ts? Wow, didn't expect to read that these products include a happy ending!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Giant, well crafted amplifier, blah blah blah, gold plated this and billet that blah blah blah, excellent price and value blah blah blah...

Connecting them to the Status 8Ts? Wow, didn't expect to read that these products include a happy ending!
LOL I just loath lugging these big dogs upstairs to my theater room. Uggg, I'm waiting till next month!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well thats just terrible! Guess I could hop on my motorcycle and ride down there and lend a hand! Just pay me in auditory bliss!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva, for the love of all amp loving folks, please please please, get a VU meter to replace the LEDs.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Emotiva, for the love of all amp loving folks, please please please, get a VU meter to replace the LEDs.
I asked and pleaded so many times. They claim its challenging to find reliable meters and the really good ones are pricey and big, meaning they would be like 2 inches or more deep and would require a bigger chassis or thicker front faceplate.

These dogs would like killer with some blue Mcintosh meters IMO. Perhaps as an anniversary edition offered as an upgrade one year. hint hint!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The amp is very imposing, except that huge glass window (presumably to accommodate the "Metering can be oriented for left reading, right reading, or vertical" feature) with the DIY looking line of LEDs is just sad looking.

They claim its challenging to find reliable meters and the really good ones are pricey and big, meaning they would be like 2 inches or more deep and would require a bigger chassis or thicker front faceplate.
It's true and I'm not holding it against them. But, that does not excuse them from using a good looking 10 or 20 segment bargraph LED array.

These dogs would like killer with some blue Mcintosh meters IMO. Perhaps as an anniversary edition offered as an upgrade one year. hint hint!
Yes they would! Then again, McIntosh amps are considerably more costly and I have no idea what their meters cost or failure rates. Last but not the least, I'd rather they use a bigger transformer or more caps than bifurcate funds towards beautifying the amp more than necessary. (I consider the LED array or equivalent necessary :).)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yay, I'm finally getting my wish about you reviewing this amp with your Status Acoustics! Can't wait for the reivew.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think that the LEDs look that bad. I agree that VU meters would look cool, but since they don't have them, it's a tough call for me between keeping that glass plate and just dumping the display and having a clean metal front plate. I like the rest of the design, though. Looks good.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I asked and pleaded so many times. They claim its challenging to find reliable meters and the really good ones are pricey and big, meaning they would be like 2 inches or more deep and would require a bigger chassis or thicker front faceplate.

Got that right.. Meters rule

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
needs meter... $2 should be able to equal the accuracy of five leds.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Then again, McIntosh amps are considerably more costly and I have no idea what their meters cost or failure rates.
Those McIntosh meters are relatively costly, and McIntosh once told me they jump through some hoops to make the watt readings pretty accurate. The meter circuits measure current and output voltage to derive watts. If you think about it there's a lot more to it than just a meter add-on. I would venture a guess that the larger meters alone on the monoblocks cost McIntosh over $100 each, without the glass overlay either. If you watch them function they are fast yet incredibly well damped. A real work of execution art.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis