Emotiva XPR-1 1kwatt Mono Amplifier Review

N

NMEU

Audiophyte
Tried it still buzzing. I can't fathom this being acceptable.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Tried it still buzzing. I can't fathom this being acceptable.
If it's buzzing on its own with nothing connected but your speaker leads and power, then there is either something wrong with the amp or the ground in your outlet. Does the power meter stay illuminated the whole time as if there is something playing on it?

Try a diff outlet connected from a different circuit in your panel.

Otherwise, call Emotiva. It's not acceptable performance and if you are having a real issue with their product, I am sure they will help you.

N

NMEU

Audiophyte
Meter is not on and i just tried different outlet still buzzing. Thanks for your input.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Meter is not on and i just tried different outlet still buzzing. Thanks for your input.
Bad wiring in your house; sounds like mine. All the receivers I have don't make a peep but every power amplifier I tried make my speakers buzz like a tesla coil even with nothing connected to them except speaker wire.

I'm not sure what the difference is between receivers and power amplifiers but some sort of circuitry must be present to clear out the noise that isn't used in power amplifiers is my guess, since the video circuitry is very vulnerable while power amps are inherently simple devices.

N

NMEU

Audiophyte
Oh geez thanks now i don't feel so bad. Yea my receiver is completely quiet also. The amp sounds amazing accept for buzzing.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Rich, yes this is definitely a clean amp at low power. I want to do an amp shootout but the company that makes the device I really want to make this a reality only has 2 prototypes; one of which they have in constant usage and the other Salk uses.
Do you believe that device has the rigor to handle an amp capable of a solid 1000 watts? I'm not sure he would have designed it for such a load. Of course, unless you are driving your Status acoustics, you would never use all 1000 watts; and if you are driving the SA's, you will be driving many amps beyond their capability (though I would be very interested in your opinions on a pro amp with power specs to match the EMO driving teh SA's!)

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Nice review, Gene!

I'm curious, how does the XPR-1 respond to loads lower than 4 ohms? Emotiva doesn't seem to offer specs for anything lower than a 4 ohm load. But, obviously, the XPR-1 was able to power your Status Acoustics towers, which, I believe, dip below 4 ohms, especially in the bass, yes?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Do you believe that device has the rigor to handle an amp capable of a solid 1000 watts? I'm not sure he would have designed it for such a load. Of course, unless you are driving your Status acoustics, you would never use all 1000 watts; and if you are driving the SA's, you will be driving many amps beyond their capability (though I would be very interested in your opinions on a pro amp with power specs to match the EMO driving teh SA's!)
Are we talking about that instant switcher made by AVA? It certainly isn't capable of handling that kind of power. I believe I was told 200 watts RMS for that thing.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Would you go with the XPA-1 over the XPR-1 if you didn't need the extra power? Is the SQ different between the two when not driven to distortion?
Look at it this way. All the XPR gives you over the XPA is 3 more db of volume. The XPA-1 is quite a bargain and there is not going to be any difference in sound quality.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Nice review, Gene!

I'm curious, how does the XPR-1 respond to loads lower than 4 ohms? Emotiva doesn't seem to offer specs for anything lower than a 4 ohm load. But, obviously, the XPR-1 was able to power your Status Acoustics towers, which, I believe, dip below 4 ohms, especially in the bass, yes?
My Status Acoustics 8T dip down to 2 ohms at bass and higher F. The Emos have no problems driving them. Almost no bridgeable amp will give you power #s down to 2 ohms. When doing a diff topology like that, each half of the amp sees 1/2 the load impedance so its unlikely it would double down below the 4 ohm rating. But at 2kwatts, who cares?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hmm I didn't realize that. I just wanted to do low level listening test comparisons to be honest. None of the amps would have been driven to their limits. I just can't rely on my memory when it takes me at least 1-2 minutes to switch out the connections each time since these amps all sound so darn good.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for a very nice and valuable review Gene!

This amp is perfect for us over here where we all do have 220 volt lines, do you envy us now :p

In another review it's been claimed that the XPA-1 may sometimes sound a bit bright with some equipment; (hometheaterhifi.com)
Do you have any thoughts about these things? you did not notice anything like this with XPR-1? well then it would probably be stated in the review :p

True or false? I can read between thelines that, if you don't need that excessive power, the XPA-1 may bethe same good...??

It's hard to believe that XPR-1 equals Pass Labs X-350.5 but it's what you're really stating here, disregarding cost of amplifier: would you exchange the Pass Labs X-350.5 for the XPR-1?
I mean: If you could afford the Pass Labs X-350.5, would you still buy the XPR-1?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks for a very nice and valuable review Gene!

This amp is perfect for us over here where we all do have 220 volt lines, do you envy us now :p

In another review it's been claimed that the XPA-1 may sometimes sound a bit bright with some equipment; (hometheaterhifi.com)
Do you have any thoughts about these things? you did not notice anything like this with XPR-1? well then it would probably be stated in the review :p

True or false? I can read between thelines that, if you don't need that excessive power, the XPA-1 may bethe same good...??

It's hard to believe that XPR-1 equals Pass Labs X-350.5 but it's what you're really stating here, disregarding cost of amplifier: would you exchange the Pass Labs X-350.5 for the XPR-1?
I mean: If you could afford the Pass Labs X-350.5, would you still buy the XPR-1?
I can't comment on the hifi review other than JJ uses the old Carver speakers which I can't imagine sounding neutral with any type of amplification.

I am not 100% certain the XPA-1 and XPR-1 at lower power would sound equivalent since I never heard the XPA-1. I can tell you that the XPR-1 does measure a lot better than the XPA-2 I reviewed a couple of years back. Obviously Emotiva has been making product improvements over the years.

I cannot say with certainty that the XPR-1 sounds "equivalent" to the Pass labs below their clipping points since I'm unable to instantaneously compare them. I hope to have that capability someday soon though.

From a performance standpoint, the Pass Labs amp is great and from a looks standpoint its simply stunning. If you've got the coin for it, then it would make you a very happy owner.

I will still be using the Pass Labs amp for my Vinyl 2CH setup.... until they ask for it back that is ;)

jinjuku

jinjuku

I cannot say with certainty that the XPR-1 sounds "equivalent" to the Pass labs below their clipping points since I'm unable to instantaneously compare them. I hope to have that capability someday soon though.
Let's say that the XPR-1 does nothing wrong in the long term sense (which is usually indicated by people as listener fatigue). Would you think it's reasonable to say there isn't enough of a difference that impacts your echoic memory to a degree that it can't survive a two minute interval?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Thx Gene!

LOL, a Free Pass Labs X-350.5 is an even better bargain than the XPR-1 will ever be :D

I'm looking forward to upcoming posts from You on this topic, I had a real wish to see some of the big guys from Emotiva up against some of the statement products out there, hope there will be a good chance now.... The fact that it's so hard to perceive a quantifiable difference between the amps is by itself quite interesting :p

I really don't fancy the design of the XPR series, imho the XPA-1 and XPA-2 looks really better, the XPR-* seems odd / rude looking to me, well I never seen them in real life, so who knows. XPR-1 would as far as I think look even more upclass with just a very thick simple faceplate with / or without a power button on the front; but that's just my opinion :p

I just wonder why they made the XRL inputs without locking contacts, I cannot ever remember to have seen that before on any product ever; As far as I understand, XLR contacts does not connect very firmly without the lock..... and imagine what happens if something happens with that connector while your running with full power to the XPR-1. Is it not then some risk of woofer diaphragms cascading through the room; worst case scenario, you can have damage to your hearing as far as I know....
This is not good at all in my opinion; borderline to hazardous if you ask me!

This would be good if it's at least an option with locking XLR inputs!

jinjuku

jinjuku

I just wonder why they made the XRL inputs without locking contacts, I cannot ever remember to have seen that before on any product ever; As far as I understand, XLR contacts does not connect very firmly without the lock..... and imagine what happens if something happens with that connector while your running with full power to the XPR-1. Is it not then some risk of woofer diaphragms cascading through the room; worst case scenario, you can have damage to your hearing as far as I know....
This is not good at all in my opinion; borderline to hazardous if you ask me!

This would be good if it's at least an option with locking XLR inputs!
XLR lock tabs aren't really needed on consumer equipment. I have a few pieces w/o and it does make it easier to blind connect/disconnect.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
XLR lock tabs aren't really needed on consumer equipment. I have a few pieces w/o and it does make it easier to blind connect/disconnect.
So you really believe they connect securely enough?....
At least it was enough to raise Gene's consideration

I'm still not convinced on this topic!

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
^^^
The Parasound Halo A51 does not have locking XLR connectors. I thought that was odd too.

On other sites, there are measurements that include two simultaneous tones, 60Hz and 7KHz.
There was a dramatic increase in ringing and artifacts that were clearly greater than the single tone tests.

I like this type of test because it might be a bit more revealing of the real world performance.
I am hypothesizing, but, while these artifacts are at a lower level often -50DB, is it not possible that if there was signal at those levels then the added information would be added to that signal.
Once added, then the distortion may be audible.
Is this not a possible explanation for why some amps are less fatiguing than others?

- Rich

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
True, but they lock on the Marantz AV8801, Onkyo PR-SC5507, Outlaw 7500, and ATI's, so I got used to that.
The Parasound was the first piece I ever owned without XLR's that do not lock.
Now I know of another :p

[Caveman] Locking connector good.[/Caveman] :)

- Rich

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Let's say that the XPR-1 does nothing wrong in the long term sense (which is usually indicated by people as listener fatigue). Would you think it's reasonable to say there isn't enough of a difference that impacts your echoic memory to a degree that it can't survive a two minute interval?
Yes I think that is a fair assessment. It was definitely not like the night/day difference I heard switching from the Pass Labs / Classe amps to the Axiom digital amp.

I may have a friend over to do some quicker switching for me to see if I can give a more definitive answer. The Emos and Classe have exactly the same voltage gain so they are already level matched. Just gotta be faster at switching the speaker and amp connections. I can probably set up both amps unbalanced via zone2/3 of my Denon processor and just have someone swap speaker cables to reduce switching time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis