Emotiva XPA- 5 shutting down when volume exceeds - 5dbmv

MG350

MG350

Audiophyte
Gentleman I was wondering if anyone can provide some info for the problem I am having with my Emotiva XPA-5.

A little background...

The amp is about 4 years old. Whenever the volume is pushed to -5 dbmv the amp shuts down and goes into protection on amp number 4.

I changed the speaker wire and the rca cable and it still shuts-down. I put a different speaker on amp 4 and its still shuts down. I completely removed the rca and speaker wire from amp 4 and it still shuts down with amp 4 going into protection.

I spoke to EMO they issued an RMA now because i'm in Canada they have repair center in Calgary so its going to cost about 150 bucks to ship it out there.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with there XPA-5 and if there are any repair shops in Toronto that can fix emotiva's? I understand that it would void the warranty but at this point i'm looking for the cheapest way out.

Any help? Thanks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
$150 for a factory repair, under warranty---That sounds like a pretty cheap repair to me!

I bet any shop is gonna want $75 or more, just to tell you what the problem is. If they repair it, then they typically roll that into the total cost of repair. So, let's say that if you are very lucky, an independent shop makes the repair for $100. Then, you only saved $50, but you killed your last year of warranty.

Remember this saying
"In the long run, nobody pays more $ than the cheap-skate"

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Ask if they'll send you a replacement board for #4 slot. Without root cause, this is not a guaranteed fix. Best to send it to Emotiva since it keeps your warranty intact.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Have not had this problem w/ my XPA-5, and it sounds like you've tried everything you could. I would send it back to Emotiva for repair. In my experience, non-factory repairs on anything are a risk unless you really know the person/company. At least with the manufacturer, you know they care about their reputation, understand a dissatisfied customer can affect it, have technical expertise on your particular product and have easy access to the parts.

MG350

MG350

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will send it back to EMO for repairs.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Ya, it sucks, but until They get their arms around the QC issues they've been having it's really your only best alternative. Besides, they need to know that their products are acting up so they can make adjustments in their R&D. That's the only way a good company gets better.

Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
I have a Gen 1 XPA-5 I was having a similar problem. After changing xlr to rca cables. I discovered that one of the channels that was giving me the problem, was the switch on the back of the XPA-5 that selects which type of input you want to use was not fully in position. After making sure it was in the proper position I never have had any problems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis