Emotiva XMC-1 Processor with Dirac Room EQ Review

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi Rich,

with reference to the depression centered at appx.200 Hz I'd appreciate if you will repeat your Dirac Live measurements with a mic that has been individually calibrated... I think that you will get more reliable DL measurements (and better listening results)

Would you try that?
Thanks, Flavio
No problem. I will try to get that done this weekend.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That would depend on the mic and measurer. I think John Atkinson does someting like 90 positions (if memory serves).

If you assume that a short sine-sweep at some level is representative of amplifier performance playing music. I would not make that assumption. No-one measures amps this way.

I am big believer in long term listening. But I have also used level matching (with a muliti-meter), J River zones, and XLR switching to do some A/B comparisons that led to the same conclusion.

- Rich
No I did not and will not assume such a sweep represents amplifier performance playing music. All I meant to say was just what I wrote and I did not mean to imply anything else. I did make a couple of unimportant typos that I have now fixed.

I am aware that no one measures amps that way, and seriously I am glad no one did.:D By the way, I did take REW measurements from multiple positions within inches from the main listening positions. The 20 to 200 Hz did change a few dB but the higher frequencies changed much less. Too bad mics can't talk to us about what they hear.:D

RichB

RichB

The 20 to 200 Hz did change a few dB but the higher frequencies changed much less. Too bad mics can't talk to us about what they hear.:D
... They are talking but I can't hear what they are saying :p

- Rich

G

Gabriel Hebert

Audiophyte
Great review! I've been wanting to get an XMC-1 since I heard Emotiva was working on it, so quite a few years now and this review further solidified my decision. I couldn't help but notice in the photos of your setup the nice A/V shelf you have. May I ask what brand/model it is? I'm in the process of adding more gear and my current shelf unit doesn't have any room left. None of the stores in my location sell anything that would meet my needs.

RichB

RichB

Great review! I've been wanting to get an XMC-1 since I heard Emotiva was working on it, so quite a few years now and this review further solidified my decision. I couldn't help but notice in the photos of your setup the nice A/V shelf you have. May I ask what brand/model it is? I'm in the process of adding more gear and my current shelf unit doesn't have any room left. None of the stores in my location sell anything that would meet my needs.
Thanks.

The credenza was custom made but the guy who made also cabinets. The top is 2 inch cherry, and the sides are maple. I had 2 wheels put in that are heavy duty. The best idea I ever had. It is very simple to roll it out and get at the components. If you have custom furntature makers in your area and find the right person, it can be surprisingly affordable.

- Rich

RichB

RichB

Thanks.

The credenza was custom made but the guy who made my cabinets. The top is 2 inch cherry, and the sides are maple. I had 6 wheels put in that are heavy duty. The best idea I ever had. It is very simple to roll it out and get at the components. If you have custom furntature makers in your area and find the right person, it can be surprisingly affordable.

- Rich

RichB

RichB

Hi Rich,

with reference to the depression centered at appx.200 Hz I'd appreciate if you will repeat your Dirac Live measurements with a mic that has been individually calibrated... I think that you will get more reliable DL measurements (and better listening results)

Would you try that?
Thanks, Flavio
Here are the measurements taken with the UMM-6 calibrated:

UMM-6 DiracSpectrum.jpg

The measurements below were taken with the Dirac 9 positions. The Front Left and Right were taken using the ASIO drivers output and the Stereo measurements were taken with the Java Stereo output:

Concentrating on below 2K:

Dirac 9 Position Averages - Java Stereo (red), ASIO Left (green), ASIO Right (blue).jpg

Up to 20K:

Dirac 9 Position Averages - Java Stereo (red), ASIO Left (green), ASIO Right (blue) 29K.jpg

Again, Dirac is measing a dip in the 100 to 300 Hz range that is not found using other measurement software and microphones.

Is is possible to load the measurements taken by Dirac into REW?

- Rich

F

flak2

Enthusiast
Dear Rich,
thanks for your time in taking all those measurements, I appreciate and thank you :)

Actually the measurements in the range of from 20 Hz to 400 Hz show the same results...
at first sight one may think differently when looking at your graphs as your graph appears to be much smoother.
You may be inclined to believe that it is more accurate also because you mentioned that you are satisfied with your results without correction.

I have cut your Dirac graph so that it shows only the region of frequencies from 20 Hz to 2 KHz within a range of 50 dBs... here it is:

We then have to compare it with your other measurement, but in order to compare it we need to normalize it so that we are looking at it with the same scales and proportions... so your other graph here now shows the same 50 dBs range and the image has been properly scaled so that it is directly comparable.

Here it is...

Now one can clearly see that the behaviour is the same up to 400 Hz, the two measurements are really consistent and you will recognize the individual channels if you remove the red trace that is not relevant.

So there is no conflict in the measurements in the low frequency range up to 400 Hz (I think you have no reason to doubt them) but your other measurement shows a sizable dip after 1 KHz... others follow as in the past if we look at your full bandwidth graph.

Dirac's measurements, if properly taken and if the mic calibration is an individual one, are accurate... their validation has been discussed for example here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f23-dsp-room-correction-and-multi-channel-audio/dirac-lives-graphs-how-accurate-23086/

My two cents as usual,
Flavio

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Dear Rich,
thanks for your time in taking all those measurements, I appreciate and thank you :)

Actually the measurements in the range of from 20 Hz to 400 Hz show the same results...
at first sight one may think differently when looking at your graphs as your graph appears to be much smoother.
You may be inclined to believe that it is more accurate also because you mentioned that you are satisfied with your results without correction.

I have cut your Dirac graph so that it shows only the region of frequencies from 20 Hz to 2 KHz within a range of 50 dBs... here it is:

We then have to compare it with your other measurement, but in order to compare it we need to normalize it so that we are looking at it with the same scales and proportions... so your other graph here now shows the same 50 dBs range and the image has been properly scaled so that it is directly comparable.

Here it is...

Now one can clearly see that the behaviour is the same up to 400 Hz, the two measurements are consistent and you may even recognize the individual channels.

So there is no conflict in the measurements in the low frequency range up to 400 Hz while your other measurement shows a sizable dip after 1 KHz...
(others follow as in the past if we look at your full bandwidth graph)

Dirac's measurements, if properly taken and the mic calibration file is an individual one, are accurate... their validation has been discussed for example here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f23-dsp-room-correction-and-multi-channel-audio/dirac-lives-graphs-how-accurate-23086/

My two cents as usual,
Flavio
They do seem much closer in some range but I can't tell because the axis labels are not present.

The entire measurement do have a bearing on the actions taken by Dirac. Obviously, the Dirac and REW measurements diverge dramatically above 400 Hz and the slope of that curve has a bearing on whether the 100 to 350 range is seen as a dip or as closer to flat.

Given the Dirac measurements, its corrective actions are sensible.

Some questions if I may:

1) How did you scale these two graphs?
2) Is there a way to import Dirac Measurements into REW comparision?

- Rich

F

flak2

Enthusiast
Hi Rich,
they don't seem much closer... they are practically the same

I had to scale them graphically 'cause I don't have the measurement files but the process is totally accurate, in any case you can easily do the same and double check with your actual measurements by adjusting both the range and the axis values in REW so that they are they same of Dirac that you want to validate.
(I don't know of a way to import Dirac measurements in REW)

In a few words your Dirac and REW measurements give the same results in the range up to 400 Hz that we are discussing while there is a number of dips in your REW measurements above... as mentioned before I'd be cautious about them.

Thanks for your time during the week-end :)
Flavio

P.S. You can have a Dirac's graph from 20 to 400 Hz by loading your project and zooming by drawing a window that is limited to those frequencies

P.P.S. Alternatively you can send me your Dirac project and your REW .mdat file and I'll be pleased to do it.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

P.P.S. Alternatively you can send me your Dirac project and your REW .mdat file and I'll be pleased to do it.
I can send both via email.

If I send you my Dirac project file, can you send me an .mdat?

- Rich

F

flak2

Enthusiast
Thanks Rich, I'll wait for your files... unfortunately there is no support tool for converting your Dirac .drpj file into a REW .mdat file that I could send you back.

Have a nice week :) Flavio

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Interesting review. I'd take issue with describing this processor as "moderately priced". Their UMC-1 and UMC-200 were moderately priced, but 2500 is something else entirely, especially for what you get.

A new release that doesn't have 4K or HDMI 2.2, among other things, is a mistake in my book. This is the electronics industry where if you're not current, you're passed by. And the decision to only go balanced for the front 2 channels is a compromise. Honestly this seems like a mixed bag, but at least it's not as buggy as the previous processors were.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting review. I'd take issue with describing this processor as "moderately priced". Their UMC-1 and UMC-200 were moderately priced, but 2500 is something else entirely, especially for what you get.

A new release that doesn't have 4K or HDMI 2.2, among other things, is a mistake in my book. This is the electronics industry where if you're not current, you're passed by. And the decision to only go balanced for the front 2 channels is a compromise. Honestly this seems like a mixed bag, but at least it's not as buggy as the previous processors were.
The Marantz AV7702MK2 pre-pro has an MSRP of $2200 and has HDMI 2.2, Audyssey XT32, Dolby ATMOS, and firmware update for DTS:X. Street prices will be much less in a few months.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The Marantz AV7702MK2 pre-pro has an MSRP of $2200 and has HDMI 2.2, Audyssey XT32, Dolby ATMOS, and firmware update for DTS:X. Street prices will be much less in a few months.

Which more importantly means, the MK1 will be on deep discount!

RichB

RichB

Hi Rich,
they don't seem much closer... they are practically the same
The do not appear the same above 400 Hz.
For this reason, I have limited Dirac to 80 Hz and below.

When this is done, there is still a noticable change in vocals and high frequencies.
What processing is done above the high-frequency curtain (Levels, phase, etc)?

- Rich

G

Goodfellas27

Audiophyte
The XMC-1 will get an updated HDMI 2.0 with support for HDCP 2.2 at Q1 of next year. The Marantz is great value for the money, but how would the sound quality of both system compare? any other SSP with Dirac Live support at the price range? What matter most for most audiophiles is sound quality. It would be great if Audioholic write up a comparison.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The XMC-1 will get an updated HDMI 2.0 with support for HDCP 2.2 at Q1 of next year. The Marantz is great value for the money, but how would the sound quality of both system compare? any other SSP with Dirac Live support at the price range? What matter most for most audiophiles is sound quality. It would be great if Audioholic write up a comparison.
Even if they do, such reviews tend to be highly subjective by nature. Without EQ and other sound processing, and based on specs, I bet they will sound equally great. Unless you can A/B compare them yourself with your own setup in your own listening environment, I think it is better to base your choice on features you need, specs, bench test measurements, reliability records of the brands and prices. I don't know about Dirac but I find Audyssey XT32, Sub EQ HT, DEQ very effective. Some people don't particular like what it does to the front left/right channels but they have the bypass feature.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Like PENG says, personal preference plays such a huge part. One reviewer may like one software, and another reviewer may like the other software.

As for me, I would take Audyssey Dynamic EQ simply because I think it produces the most perfect sound quality I have ever heard.

Like you said, what matters most is the actual sound quality. So even if the Audyssey DEQ pre-pro were more expensive, I would take it 100% of the time over Emotiva.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis