Emotiva X-Ref Speakers

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 4" is $183 but only has a -3dB of 88Hz. The 6" version looks more interesting, though they are $399.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The 4" is $183 but only has a -3dB of 88Hz.
Even if it had a -3db of 60hz, i'd feel best crossing it at 100hz or 120hz for best power handling given the tiny midwoofer.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Too bad they don't have a 5-5.5" version. The 4" version doesn't go deep enough and the 6.5" version seems kind of big (for desktop use) :D

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I like the look of the original reference speakers better than these. These just seem... ordinary. But for the price, they look like they could be fantastic.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, but the XRCs are even larger.
It is also inferior in its frequency response. It is curious how so many center channel speakers are that way; both bigger and not going as deep as the bookshelf speakers in the same line of speakers.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Too bad they don't have a 5-5.5" version. The 4" version doesn't go deep enough and the 6.5" version seems kind of big (for desktop use) :D
I agree that a 5-5.5" version is typically a good idea. Usually, such speakers are as small as are compatible with going deep enough to integrate well with using a subwoofer. With smaller speakers, typically localizable bass will have to come from the subwoofer (not good), or omitted (worse).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It would be interesting to hear, if they will throw a good central image - since
they have chosen a different tweeter alignment, for the models above the little
bookshelf speaker. I would be interested in the measurements of these speakers.

"while the offset tweeter allows you to choose to place the XRM-6.1 for a more intimate soundstage (tweeters "in") or a wider presentation (tweeters "out")."

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Polk LSis are offset like that, and it does make a small diffference when you swap them inside vs outside.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
"while the offset tweeter allows you to choose to place the XRM-6.1 for a more intimate soundstage (tweeters "in") or a wider presentation (tweeters "out")."
I'm not so sure I buy this. TO my knowledge, the only advantage of an offset tweeter is that it flattens out on-axis frequency response; not much effect on sound stage presentation/width.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the offset is to adjust the speaker's response. I used to own LSi7s and their documentation mentioned this as well, so I tried them in both conditions. The difference is small, but it is there.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not so sure I buy this. TO my knowledge, the only advantage of an offset tweeter is that it flattens out on-axis frequency response; not much effect on sound stage presentation/width.
The only thing I would expect - would be a less focused central image,
with the tweeters out. And only the center, or L/C/R monitors can be
positioned out - since the speakers are sold in mirror imaged pairs.
At this time, they do not draw my interest - they should be pleasant
sounding, budget friendly speakers - I wish them success.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In Polk's case, they say it improves imaging. I don't recall what their documentation said because I sold them years ago, but I had them setup with a wide spacing but not too far from the listener, with the tweeters on the outside. This gave a nice, wide stage. With them on the inside, I had to toe them less and the mids suffered a bit as a result (these speakers were very picky about placement). With a larger room inside may have worked differently.

Matt34

Matt34

I heard the 6.2 at RMAF last month briefly. They looked decent in person, not offensive by any means. Thought they sounded ok for the short time I heard them, though they were paired with the new x-ref 12" subs.

If you're looking for a bookshelf from Emotiva I would look at powered studio monitors from the Airmotiv lineup, I thought they sounded much better.

Emotiva Professional, LLC

Last edited:
dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you're looking for a bookshelf from Emotiva I would look at powered studio monitors from the Airmotiv lineup, I thought they sounded much better.

Emotiva Professional, LLC
Which one(s) have you heard? They look pretty interesting, and I know a few people who are looking for computer speakers.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I remember reading about the airmotivs. Active monitors are definitely a possibility but I wouldn't mind sticking with passives and keeping my old receiver in action :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis