Emotiva X-Ref Speakers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Big black boxes. That was your first reaction. It was ours as well. But we've learned through long experience that there is often more to Emotiva products than looks. The new X-Ref speakers look to be no different. Do you want real wood finishes and magnetic grilles? There are plenty of those out there. But if you want maximum performance paired with quality driver units, crossovers and enclosures at a bare-bones price tag, Emotiva is often your best bet. While we'll have to reserve our final judgement for our review, at first blush the X-Ref speakers look very, very good. Well, at least their specs do.

Discuss "Emotiva X-Ref Speakers Preview" here. Read the article.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You will never find a crossover like this in an Emotiva product :D

I say you can keep the magnetic grilles and wood finishes, just don't skimp on the stuff that people can't see that really affects performance- the guts inside!

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't need magnetic grilles, they just came that way :)

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
A Comparison Speculative Question

Gene, looking at the introductory prices, it seems that a set of the Emotivas would actually come in similarly priced to the EMP Impression series. One clearly looks better than the other, but how do you think they will compare sound-wise?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, looking at the introductory prices, it seems that a set of the Emotivas would actually come in similarly priced to the EMP Impression series. One clearly looks better than the other, but how do you think they will compare sound-wise?
that's a really good question. The only way to answer is when I actually get a pair to review and directly compare the two side by side.

The Emotiva's use higher quality drivers but the EMP's have more drivers for more output, especially in the mids (MTM configuration). I suspect the Emotiva's will have deeper bass extension but the EMP's would have more prominent mids. A shootout between these two speakers would be cool for sure.

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
that's a really good question. The only way to answer is when I actually get a pair to review and directly compare the two side by side.

The Emotiva's use higher quality drivers but the EMP's have more drivers for more output, especially in the mids (MTM configuration). I suspect the Emotiva's will have deeper bass extension but the EMP's would have more prominent mids. A shootout between these two speakers would be cool for sure.
Great, I'll get the popcorn!!!

O

ObsceneJesster

Audioholic Intern
Gene, I purchased two X-Ref 12's and I love them dearly. I demoed subwoofers in my basement that cost 3 times the price and they still didn't sound as good as the X-Ref 12. I just wish you guys would have reviewed the 12in. instead of the 10in. I am currently stuck in a never ending debate between a few people in another forum about the X-Ref 12's output and extension. I have said that the X-Ref 12 can come damn close to 25Hz -3db with the correct PEQ settings. Of course nobody will believe me without the numbers. Will you guys be doing tests on the X-Ref 12 or are you guys stopping with the 10? If you don't plan on doing a review or testing on the X-Ref 12, could you please give me your opinion on whether or not the X-Ref 12 can get down to 25Hz -3db?

Thank you very much.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, I purchased two X-Ref 12's and I love them dearly. I demoed subwoofers in my basement that cost 3 times the price and they still didn't sound as good as the X-Ref 12. I just wish you guys would have reviewed the 12in. instead of the 10in. I am currently stuck in a never ending debate between a few people in another forum about the X-Ref 12's output and extension. I have said that the X-Ref 12 can come damn close to 25Hz -3db with the correct PEQ settings. Of course nobody will believe me without the numbers. Will you guys be doing tests on the X-Ref 12 or are you guys stopping with the 10? If you don't plan on doing a review or testing on the X-Ref 12, could you please give me your opinion on whether or not the X-Ref 12 can get down to 25Hz -3db?

Thank you very much.
Josh Ricci is reviewing the X-Ref 12 for us as we speak. Review should publish by the beginning of December.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
EMO XRT-6.2 Plots

Sure would like to see some FR Plots, Impedance/Phase curves on these newly released XRT-6.2 Towers ($799 Intro, incl. S/H is sure tempting), and how they compare to the ERT-8.3's?

Is that in the process?

We need an EMO Shootout... ;):D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis