Emotiva UMC-200 on firmware version 1.52.02.47

U

UrdnotWrex

Enthusiast
I've had several requests for this, so here goes:

For any Emotiva UMC-200 owners who have not yet upgraded to the latest firmware version (1.52.02.47), you'll be wanting to do so at your earliest opportunity. As far as performing the update itself--good luck; if you do have any issues, you'll most likely find a solution here:

UMC-200 Update | The Emotiva Lounge

I've only had it hooked up for about an hour, but have observed some definite improvements. I haven't read any release notes so these are just anecdotal observations. Prior to the update, my UMC-200 would essentially 'reset' every time it was put into standby. On version 1.52.02.47, Input, volume, and DSP settings are all retained when the unit is switched to standby and then brought back online. I was also experiencing some other issues like intermittent loss of HDMI signal (no USB cable attached), multiple attempts required before the unit would boot, and boot loops (though these became more frequent over time, so I believe the unit was defective i.e. these issues may not be related to firmware {my unit was replaced altogether with free shipping}). EmoQ also appears to have gotten some improvements. I always have to run these calibration software programs twice to get optimal settings, this time was no different. Got some excessive distances the first time, but the second run was spot on. The center and surround channels were too quiet before--it sounds like that was corrected. It still sees my Usher CP-6371's as 'Small', so not sure what the deal there is, but I just set them to large manually after calibrating. The new unit integrated with my BTM-1 dongle much more smoothly than the previous, as well. From what I can tell so far, it looks like all the bugs have been worked out, and this processor has now achieved its full potential.

itschris

itschris

I've had several requests for this, so here goes:

From what I can tell so far, it looks like all the bugs have been worked out, and this processor has now achieved its full potential.
Good to hear and I hope you finally get the enjoyment out of it I'm sure you've been hoping for. But damn... how long has this thing been out now? I hope it's reached it's full potential... they've had all their customers beta testing it for a couple years or so now. As much as I like their stuff, this is simply why I can't ever see myself buying it or even recommending it to anyone.

U

UrdnotWrex

Enthusiast
Those are very valid points and I agree...though I believe the latest firmware has been available since September 2013. I wouldn't do it again, but now that it's done, it's nice. So if you're willing to risk jumping through hoops, you can save some dough.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, this isn't news, but basically everyone should have this update installed. There are a few of us on here who have them and as far as I know the regular contributors are on that one. It fixed some pretty serious issues and I am pretty happy with mine now that I've got that installed. The only thing I don't think works like it sounds it should is the bluetooth auto switching.

Getting it installed was the pain...

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
glad to hear all is well now, I think the UMC 200 has only been out for about a year, I think I got mine around january 2013, when they had the $400 {or so} sale... I haven't upgraded it and it seems to work well, I am scared to try the update lol.... Although I still have a couple avrs and processors I can plug in if I mess it up...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis