Emotiva UMC-200 7.1 Surround Sound Processor Preview

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
And just to show the depths of my OCD/insanity/depravity:

Why do I want a 5 ch amp instead of a 2 ch amp that would still take the load off my receiver? Well dear reader, my main speakers are my most sensitive (Audyssey cuts them by ~10dB in setup, and only cuts my surrounds by 3.5dB), so it'd be a little wasteful to utilize them there. At the same time, I refuse to utilize a two ch amp on the less sensitive surround speakers because well...they're surround channels. So 5 ch, right???? :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
And just to show the depths of my OCD/insanity/depravity:

Why do I want a 5 ch amp instead of a 2 ch amp that would still take the load off my receiver? Well dear reader, my main speakers are my most sensitive (Audyssey cuts them by ~10dB in setup, and only cuts my surrounds by 3.5dB), so it'd be a little wasteful to utilize them there. At the same time, I refuse to utilize a two ch amp on the less sensitive surround speakers because well...they're surround channels. So 5 ch, right???? :D
You, sir, are an idiot. And my idol. :D

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
If you need a 12V trigger for an amp, you want a Niles CS12V.
Good luck finding one below $100, I did over a year ago, $70 I think, and new.
Do some hard searching.

It is only one I would trust to handle a power amp.

Niles Audio Corporation

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This one works by triggering outlets based on you turning something else on - for example, your receiver. I linked to one that has an adjustable sensitivity.
An option was already offered.

If you need a 12V trigger for an amp, you want a Niles CS12V.
Good luck finding one below $100, I did over a year ago, $70 I think, and new.
Do some hard searching.

It is only one I would trust to handle a power amp.

Niles Audio Corporation

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Another Trigger

Hey guys,
Would the EMO expansion module work OK for me, I just need to power up an additional amp from my receiver's trigger out? (2 amps ) total for now.
ET-3 Trigger Expansion Module | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monobl

Hey John, I'm real anxious to hear your impressions of the UMC-200, as I don't use my receiver's amps for anything also. It's basically being used as a pre-pro, so I would like to have an affordable real pre-pro:) The price is right.
Cheers Jeff

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Two* amps, eh? You're in a similar boat to me, and so maybe you'd be as tempted as I have been in getting something like the APC G5. Yes, it's $100 more than your idea, but it has four additional banks that can be programmed to trigger sequentially with a delay up to 1 minute for each bank. I think that's pretty cool. An AHer's review, replete with link to manual.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/v-interconnects-cables-power-conditioning/59514-apc-g5.html

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Two* amps, eh? You're in a similar boat to me, and so maybe you'd be as tempted as I have been in getting something like the APC G5. Yes, it's $100 more than your idea, but it has four additional banks that can be programmed to trigger sequentially with a delay up to 1 minute for each bank. I think that's pretty cool. An AHer's review, replete with link to manual.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/v-interconnects-cables-power-conditioning/59514-apc-g5.html

Yeah that is nice, as it will soon be three amps. Too much work for me to set it up:D, I'm just going with the EMO unit as it has three trigger banks.:) Thanks for the link though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
D'OH. I probably should have checked with them on those trim pieces, because I didn't notice that the 200 is not 2RU. The trim pieces don't fit. I called them and they said they will be coming out with them soon.

In the process of pulling everything out now to get this setup.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah that is nice, as it will soon be three amps. Too much work for me to set it up:D, I'm just going with the EMO unit as it has three trigger banks.:) Thanks for the link though.
I don't want to steal j garcia's thunder with this small and off topic subject, so I'll try to make this quick (for me) and my last. My downward voltage swings with the turning on of each of my high current amps is so violent, which I assume are due to the charging of beefy capacitors, that they make for good entertainment. I fire up one component at a time in specific order, so that my delicate electronics in my pre/pro don't suffer any more than they have to. It's just me, but I would personally worry enough about the violent voltage sag of three amps simultaneously charging up, that I wouldn't bother with that Emo trigger at all, and just fire it all up manually. In general, I do believe I take decent care of my stuff. I've never had anything die on me, not a single component, and I've bought refurbed, used, b-stock, open-box, you name it. Ok, that is all.

Congrats, j garcia.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OK, so had to figure out how to get trigger 2 to work. Checked the manual and I didn't see it, so poked around the menus and found that trigger 2 was set to zone 2. Configured for main area and it is working fine. Then got down to testing and found audio drop outs with the PS3 and Netflix, but not with games; weird. Set the audio out to bitstream via HDMI instead of PCM and though it took a while for it to figure that out, it seems to be now working correctly as well. Ran the EMO-Q 2 and other than it saying my mains were all out of phase, it seems to have done a very good job of adjusting things. Sounds similar to where I had things before with the exception of the sub, which I had to dial back a bit being in an apartment. It took a LONG time on my center, but not so much on the rest of the speakers and I am quite pleased with the sound so far. I have not compared the 83SE's analog to the 200 yet, but I will get around to that; I wanted to see what this one could do first :)

I had to rename all the inputs, turn off HDMI-CEC, and then I found the first problem. The issue is not with the unit itself, but my URC remote refuses to learn the codes from the Emotiva remote :(

I am comparing the stereo analog outs of the 83SE and the 200 right now, with EMO-Q active for both. I do feel the Emotiva sounds excellent, but have to say the 83SE does have a small advantage over it. The Oppo has more detail and width while being just slightly smoother. The Emotiva sounds ever so slightly more forward. I've compared a CD, DVD-A and an SACD so far with the same impression each time. The difference is very subtle and I am very pleased with both, so it isn't like I am complaining about the Emo's performance; it sounds great too. I will eventually get around to comparing the multichannel analog section as well (different DACs).

So far, VERY pleased with this unit.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hey John, I'm looking forward to your future impressions.

One question... What is the lowest frequency the parametric EQ will adjust? I couldn't find that info after a quick search.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hey John, I'm looking forward to your future impressions.

One question... What is the lowest frequency the parametric EQ will adjust? I couldn't find that info after a quick search.
It looks to be 11 bands and the lowest is 31.2hz.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
OK, so had to figure out how to get trigger 2 to work. Checked the manual and I didn't see it, so poked around the menus and found that trigger 2 was set to zone 2. Configured for main area and it is working fine. Then got down to testing and found audio drop outs with the PS3 and Netflix, but not with games; weird. Set the audio out to bitstream via HDMI instead of PCM and though it took a while for it to figure that out, it seems to be now working correctly as well. Ran the EMO-Q 2 and other than it saying my mains were all out of phase, it seems to have done a very good job of adjusting things. Sounds similar to where I had things before with the exception of the sub, which I had to dial back a bit being in an apartment. It took a LONG time on my center, but not so much on the rest of the speakers and I am quite pleased with the sound so far. I have not compared the 83SE's analog to the 200 yet, but I will get around to that; I wanted to see what this one could do first :)

I had to rename all the inputs, turn off HDMI-CEC, and then I found the first problem. The issue is not with the unit itself, but my URC remote refuses to learn the codes from the Emotiva remote :(

I am comparing the stereo analog outs of the 83SE and the 200 right now, with EMO-Q active for both. I do feel the Emotiva sounds excellent, but have to say the 83SE does have a small advantage over it. The Oppo has more detail and width while being just slightly smoother. The Emotiva sounds ever so slightly more forward. I've compared a CD, DVD-A and an SACD so far with the same impression each time. The difference is very subtle and I am very pleased with both, so it isn't like I am complaining about the Emo's performance; it sounds great too. I will eventually get around to comparing the multichannel analog section as well (different DACs).

So far, VERY pleased with this unit.
Thanks John,
I'm considering replacing my RX-V1800 this coming year.
Looking forward to your take on the UMC-200.

BTW....Time to spray bomb that H10 black. Don't ya think? ;):D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis