Emotiva UMC-200 7.1 Surround Sound Processor Preview

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am guessing we will see either a XPA-500 or 700 or both. If they keep it like the current line, then if you want 7ch, you would just get a 2ch and a 5ch. I am still 5.1 but I have an additional amp already for a second set of surrounds if I choose to go back to 6.1/7.1 some day.

I also ordered the black trim so it will match my amp :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm curious to hear your impressions (you too ImcLoud). I'm starting to look at separate amplifiers, but unfortunately my current receiver has a little design flaw: it features pre-outs, but no main zone 12V trigger nor a switched outlet to plug an adapter into. As I'm not inclined to leave a power amp running idle 24/7 wasting electricity, and well...I'm lazy, I may look to replace the whole spiel.

Also curious to see if Emo is going to release a XPA-500. I don't necessarily need something as powerful (and large/heavy) as the XPA-5, but I don't foresee the UPA-500 representing a big upgrade from what I've got either.

Fun times!
There are ways around the lack of 12V trigger. A triggered power strip is often recommended on AH. I have no experience with them myself, but if you search or bring up the question, you will get some recs.

Also, some amps do have a mode that will kick it on when it gets a signal (not a 12V trigger). But, I could see how that could be more trouble than it is worth.

Finally, NEVER plug an amplifier into an outlet (switched or not) integrated into your receiver. They aren't rugged enough to supply the power that the amp will need.

All that being said, upgrades are nice if you have "a legitimate excuse".:cool: I found my first possible legitimate excuse the other day when I realized that my Pioneer Elite doesn't have a front HDMI port.....not time yet, but gets the gears a-turning.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Finally, NEVER plug an amplifier into an outlet (switched or not) integrated into your receiver. They aren't rugged enough to supply the power that the amp will need.
I didn't mean that I'd plug the amp into the receiver outlet; there's an adapter that you'd plug into the switched outlet that would effectively give you a 12V trigger, so I was thinking something along those lines...until I realized that my Onkyo didn't even have a switched outlet.

A triggered power strip is often recommended on AH.
I'll look around, thanks!

All that being said, upgrades are nice if you have "a legitimate excuse".:cool: I found my first possible legitimate excuse the other day when I realized that my Pioneer Elite doesn't have a front HDMI port.....not time yet, but gets the gears a-turning.
I doubt I have a legitimate need, but that's beside the point :D

Also, some amps do have a mode that will kick it on when it gets a signal (not a 12V trigger). But, I could see how that could be more trouble than it is worth.
I've seen that before too, but the heck if I can remember where. I thought some Outlaw amps actually had that feature, but when I rechecked, nada.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are ways around the lack of 12V trigger. A triggered power strip is often recommended on AH. I have no experience with them myself, but if you search or bring up the question, you will get some recs.

I think he meant "adapter" as a plug strip like that or a method to trigger one; at least that's how I took it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't mean that I'd plug the amp into the receiver outlet; there's an adapter that you'd plug into the switched outlet that would effectively give you a 12V trigger, so I was thinking something along those lines...until I realized that my Onkyo didn't even have a switched outlet.

I've seen that before too, but the heck if I can remember where. I thought some Outlaw amps actually had that feature, but when I rechecked, nada.
OK. I've never seen or heard of the switched outlet to 12V trigger adapter that you mentioned. Actually, that's a pretty dang good idea! Props to the inventor of that.

Here's a Parasound with the feature to kick on based on audio signal, it says the sensitivity is adjustable, and I think that would be 100% necessary on something like this.

Product Lines > New Classic > Model 2250 Amplifier

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My Audiosource Amp300s (for surround duty) have signal sense turn on as well, however the problem with that is when you get a quiet section, they turn off. They do not have sensitivity adjustment or duration of how long to remain on after the signal level drops low enough. So I kept them on 12v trigger.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Unfortunately, their cheapest 5 ch amp is a tad out of my price range, and I do want a 5 ch amp for various reasons :D
Well, I tried :D:rolleyes:

You could probably find a used one. For what it's worth, I do like the Parasound products, and they are probably next up the $ list after EMO. Good price to performance like EMO.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My Audiosource Amp300s (for surround duty) have signal sense turn on as well, however the problem with that is when you get a quiet section, they turn off. They do not have sensitivity adjustment or duration of how long to remain on after the signal level drops low enough. So I kept them on 12v trigger.
That would drive me nuts, no doubt about it. I would manually trigger it each time before I went with a janky auto-trigger.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well, I tried :D:rolleyes:

You could probably find a used one. For what it's worth, I do like the Parasound products, and they are probably next up the $ list after EMO. Good price to performance like EMO.
I appreciate the efforts!

You know how it is when someone's got their mind set on something though :D

Edit: PS: Also looking at the new Outlaw pre/pro combined with the 7075 amp. Not as enamored by the combination though since I don't really need 7 channels, and I'd like some sort of auto-cal system.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My seven-channel IPS-1 has signal sensing. Make me an offer. :p

Btw, you can get a power strip with trigger and adjustable sensitivity for around $25 on Amazon.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
It's like you just joined. :D
Sometimes I'm pretty oblivious to the world around me. :D

This one works by triggering outlets based on you turning something else on - for example, your receiver. I linked to one that has an adjustable sensitivity.
Ahh, doesn't look too shabby. Doesn't have the appeal of separates though, and my eye candy APC C10 would be worthless :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think of a receiver as being a part of a "real" separates setup :D Too much time reading the audio mags I suppose...
It is a bridge; the first step being amps.

I went the other way around: I switched to speakers that like power and I always have large rooms so I had to get some monoblocks to support that, then one for the center, and then bigger amps, and...well you get the idea. My receiver's amps haven't been used in years and it was $100 short of triple what I just paid for the UMC-200. Mainly upgrading for HDMI, but also because the display on the Marantz is starting to fail.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think of a receiver as being a part of a "real" separates setup :D Too much time reading the audio mags I suppose...
Then plug your new pre/pro into that power strip, man. A receiver was...as stated...an example. :rolleyes: :p

Or better yet, just get a pre/pro with triggers. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis