Emotiva UMC-200 7.1 Surround Sound Processor Preview

Discussion in 'Amps, Pre-Pros & Receivers' started by admin, Nov 21, 2012.

1. admin Audioholics Robot Staff Member

admin
    The obvious question is what you need in a processor. If you are looking for automatic room correction with tons of user control with a focus on high-quality audio, the Emotiva UMC-200 will be for you. But if you need legacy video inputs, you're going to want to look elsewhere. With a $699 list price but a $599 street price (since it is sold direct, we doubt the $699 price will ever be seen), the price is certainly right. Multizone support and HDMI overlay OSD makes the UMC-200 not only competitive with other budget processors, but some with vastly greater price tags.
    [​IMG]

Discuss "Emotiva UMC-200 7.1 Surround Sound Processor Preview" here. Read the article.
  2. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    small correction

Imo it would make more sense to change it to this:
    "Not included is any sort of analogue VIDEO input or output."
    " a factor ruling this product out for those that still have gear with analogue video connections"
    • Like Like x 2
  3. jinjuku Moderator

jinjuku
    "Emotiva has included eleven user-programmable, fully parametric, equalizers per channel"

What CPU are they running that this thing can run 88 PEQ's? Sheesh. Only one HDMI out kinda sucks.
  4. agarwalro Audioholic Ninja

agarwalro
    From the Emo website, Twin Cirrus, 32-bit dual-core floating-point DSP’s.

From the circuit board, the chips used are CS497024
    and CS495314.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jinjuku Moderator

jinjuku
    If Emotiva can pull off, w/o major snafu's, release this then this thing is a winner on paper. For $600 it would be a slam dunk.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. j_garcia Audioholic Jedi

j_garcia
    YES! I've been anxiously checking their site for this one since I am due for a new pre. I may just forgo the 105 for now and get this.
  7. darien87 Audioholic Ninja

darien87
    So much for me selling my UMC to finance the XMC I'm wanting. :(
    • Like Like x 1
  8. j_garcia Audioholic Jedi

j_garcia
    I talked to them about the UMC before and it lacks a few features I want that the UMC200 has unfortunately. That doesn't mean you won't be able to sell it, just not to me :( The display intermittently goes out on my Marantz, so it needs to be replaced unfortunately.
  9. rnatalli Audioholic Ninja

rnatalli
    The UMC-200 looks like a great unit and better than Outlaw's 975 IMO. My only complaint is they removed Dolby Volume. I really need a good low-level listening mode similar to Dolby Volume Modeler and Audyssey Dynamic EQ so I'm stuck waiting for the XMC-1 with TacT.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ImcLoud Audioholic Ninja

ImcLoud
    I ordered one, it was around $400 with my discount card so even with the sale I saved a couple hundred... Time will tell if its any good :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Time_Stand_Stil Junior Audioholic

Time_Stand_Stil
    I'm wondering if this unit will offer a DIRECT mode, bypassing all processing for especially analogue devices or analogue connection of a CD player etc?

If it does offer such, boy oh boy it could make a nice addition to a quality A/V set up with appropriate amplifier choices. I may have to budget for one as a near future upgrade to my A/V set up.
  12. LAB3 Senior Audioholic

LAB3
    Have you had to undate firmware to cure switching issues ofor your UMC-1? I wonder about this new UMC for the same reasons.. I wanted a UMC-1 and the matching 200X5 amp but with SOOO many owners complaining about switching issues. I passed and hoped by now they had finally fixed the issues on the UMC-1. I need analog (RCA) inputs so the new UMC is no go for me.
    LAB3,
  13. cpp Audioholic Field Marshall

cpp
    Coastal Fla ( somewhere south of Marineland
    that's for sure. I had two of their UMC's and sent them both back. Quality control at times can be a issue.
    cpp,
  14. ImcLoud Audioholic Ninja

ImcLoud
    I never had any issues with my umc1, I think a while back when they first came out they had some issues, but now they work well..
  15. darien87 Audioholic Ninja

darien87
    What switching issues are you referring to? The only problem I still have with my UMC is the occasional audio drop, (waiting a bit or re-selecting the input fixes this).

If you're still interested I'll be looking to get about $300 for it when the XMC comes out.
  16. Irishman Audioholic

Irishman
    Yeah, those XMC's are crazy tanklike!
  17. ImcLoud Audioholic Ninja

ImcLoud
    XMC looks good but, I hate to spend that much even with the upgrade cert. its a lot..

I only hook a ps3, ipod dock, and cable box to it, then I run my multi room system of zone 2, so the umc200 is perfect for me... And with my upgrade its only $400, they sent me an email saying I will get it by 12/5 so next week Ill know if it works..

I have no problems with my UMC, Im actually going to do some changing around when the new one gets here..
    I am moving the umc 1 to my guest parlors system with my xpa5 where that will power a pair of evo10 bookshelfs and evo center, with the other 2 channels wired into zone 2 and powering my jade5's for music. Then I will use the sw300 subs in both systems somehow....

And for my main parlors system I will move my xpa2 and xpa3 in place of the xpa5... I can hear my electric bill going up..
  18. agarwalro Audioholic Ninja

agarwalro
    Did you get the UMC-200? Now that it is in the $2500 system, I'm very curious as to your hands-on take.
  19. j_garcia Audioholic Jedi

j_garcia
    I ordered mine today. Unfortunately next shipment isn't until next Mon. Xmas eve.
  20. Steve81 Audioholics 5-O

Steve81
    I'm curious to hear your impressions (you too ImcLoud). I'm starting to look at separate amplifiers, but unfortunately my current receiver has a little design flaw: it features pre-outs, but no main zone 12V trigger nor a switched outlet to plug an adapter into. As I'm not inclined to leave a power amp running idle 24/7 wasting electricity, and well...I'm lazy, I may look to replace the whole spiel.

Also curious to see if Emo is going to release a XPA-500. I don't necessarily need something as powerful (and large/heavy) as the XPA-5, but I don't foresee the UPA-500 representing a big upgrade from what I've got either.

Fun times!