Emotiva Rythmik questions

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am looking to change some components in my 2 channel system. Where in your opinion would be the best money well spent on the following.
Current set up.
Emotiva USP-1 Pre
Emotiva XPA-2 Amp
Ascend Sierra 2 speakers
Martin Logan Grotto sub.
I want to either upgrade my sub to a Rythmik or upgrade my preamp to the XSP-1 gen 2. Where would I benefit most from upgrading. Just getting some feedback. Thanks

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think the sub would be where I start, I would look into dual sealed subs.... what would your budget for the upgrade be..

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am looking to change some components in my 2 channel system. Where in your opinion would be the best money well spent on the following.
Current set up.
Emotiva USP-1 Pre
Emotiva XPA-2 Amp
Ascend Sierra 2 speakers
Martin Logan Grotto sub.
I want to either upgrade my sub to a Rythmik or upgrade my preamp to the XSP-1 gen 2. Where would I benefit most from upgrading. Just getting some feedback. Thanks
You already have a great system! What are your sources? In all honesty, the source may be the best place to upgrade.

That being said, I suspect the Rythmik (depending on model) will out-perform the ML sub.

My 2-channel rig is USP-1, Parasound 1206, and Philharmonitors, with a 10" velodyne sub (in a small room).

I have a Rythmik F15HP in my HT rig. It is a beast!

I really want an XSP. But in all honesty, I highly doubt that it is a huge audible upgrade as compared to the USP.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
My source is the Emotiva ERC-2. I also feed my Imac into the XDA-1 for computer music. I have read so much on the XSP and see where a lot of people say it's better than the USP and I have read where some say it's a small improvement. What I haven't seen is the Gen 2 version rated against the USP. They say the gen2 is better than the gen 1.
I would rather get a new Preamp. But I know that I will need a new sub to improve my sound. The ML Grotto sounds good but I see where many have said the Rythmik will be a lot better.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd also lean more toward the sub. I just don't see you getting as big of an improvement out of the XSP.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My source is the Emotiva ERC-2. I also feed my Imac into the XDA-1 for computer music. I have read so much on the XSP and see where a lot of people say it's better than the USP and I have read where some say it's a small improvement. What I haven't seen is the Gen 2 version rated against the USP. They say the gen2 is better than the gen 1.
I would rather get a new Preamp. But I know that I will need a new sub to improve my sound. The ML Grotto sounds good but I see where many have said the Rythmik will be a lot better.
When you spend double the $ for the XSP, you tell yourself that you hear a difference and the $ was worth it.

I doubt the XSP measures twice as good as the USP, so it's hard to cough up double the $. I still WANT an XSP, but I still don't expect a huge improvement. The one exception might be if you have long runs and need the balanced connections and circuitry.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
When you spend double the $ for the XSP, you tell yourself that you hear a difference and the $ was worth it.

I doubt the XSP measures twice as good as the USP, so it's hard to cough up double the $. I still WANT an XSP, but I still don't expect a huge improvement. The one exception might be if you have long runs and need the balanced connections and circuitry.
I don't have the need for long runs at all. My only need is good bass management and I want tone controls too. Sometimes I like to be able to add some bass or treble on bad recordings. The XSP-1 would handle this... It's either that or I look towards the Parasound 2100 for a hair over the USP-1.. That would get me tone controls.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't have the need for long runs at all. My only need is good bass management and I want tone controls too. Sometimes I like to be able to add some bass or treble on bad recordings. The XSP-1 would handle this... It's either that or I look towards the Parasound 2100 for a hair over the USP-1.. That would get me tone controls.
Yup. When I was looking for a Pre, it came down to the 2100 or the USP. It's really a horse-race between those 2 in the budget price range.

In all honesty, if I were looking for "tone controls", I would add an equalizer. Disclaimer: I'm not sure if the USP has a true external processor loop to add the equalizer the correct way. On that front, I've had my eye on the Brik Equalizer, but it seems that it doesn't have independent channels.
BRIK Equalizer Stage - BRIK Instruments Official Website

Anyway, most of the people on this site are anti-equalizer, so don't be surprised if I get mud flung at me for saying this. But, I would take an equalizer over TCs.

edit: I've also had my eye on one of these bad boys
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCN152/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0D6RR6EV19F6M41916EP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I use the tone controls on my PM7200 simply to adjust to taste, but I otherwise don't like them. They do have their purpose, but aren't exactly comprehensive, and if that's all you're looking for then I can understand that though I still avoid them if at all possible :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis