H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I got my Integra DCH-40.2 setup and going with a B&K AV5000ii (5x125). This is driving Def Tek BP10s, BP2s, and I can't remember the center's model #.

I took the B&K Ref 20 and used it to replace the Adcom GTP-450 in my 2 channel system driving an Acurus A200x3 w/Polk monitor 50s (I know these aren't great, but with the way my wife always rearranging the room...).

Because I want to go 7.1 from 5.1, I was watching ebay for a relatively inexpensive 2 channel amp to put where the Acurus is and move the Acurus to drive the L/R/C channels with the B&K driving the surrounds.

After trolling through threads here (thanks!) I found Emotiva UPA-200. Wow, the price on this (w/shipping) is about the same as most of the amps I was looking at on ebay.

What are the thoughts on the Emotiva amps? Quality? Track Record? Any other amps I missed I should consider?

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I've got Emo amps, speakers, and even a DAC. I can't say anything negative about them. I would get the XPA 3 for your 3 fronts and move the Acurus to surround duties.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The XPA-3 is also 200x3, so I would say you aren't going to see an upgrade with it from the Acurus.

For the extra surrounds, the UPA200 should be fine. Very happy customer here with Emotiva.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I write this only so that you get another side of it. I bought into Emotiva back in 2007 due to articles and posts here. I was unhappy with them (I own two of their amps), and there were a few of us back then that got some bad equipment and spotty service. From what I've read on here, though, it seems like in general their service has improved since then. There was a recent service issue with someone in Canada, but that got cleared up after they saw the thread on here. Most folks here seem happy with them. My advice - if you're not happy with their gear, (a) be a squeaky wheel and don't back down like I did, and (b) send it back for a full refund or get a replacement - don't settle for it being serviced. If I had gotten good service, I'd be singing their praises, too. The fit and finish of my amps is very nice, and they produce very little hiss in my speakers when there isn't a signal. They also run nice and cool.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I write this only so that you get another side of it. I bought into Emotiva back in 2007 due to articles and posts here. I was unhappy with them (I own two of their amps), and there were a few of us back then that got some bad equipment and spotty service. From what I've read on here, though, it seems like in general their service has improved since then. There was a recent service issue with someone in Canada, but that got cleared up after they saw the thread on here. Most folks here seem happy with them. My advice - if you're not happy with their gear, (a) be a squeaky wheel and don't back down like I did, and (b) send it back for a full refund or get a replacement - don't settle for it being serviced. If I had gotten good service, I'd be singing their praises, too. The fit and finish of my amps is very nice, and they produce very little hiss in my speakers when there isn't a signal. They also run nice and cool.
You are squeaky but :D emo amps have there ups and downs I had one in the studio back in the day and it was horrible but they improved since then

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
The XPA-3 is also 200x3, so I would say you aren't going to see an upgrade with it from the Acurus.

For the extra surrounds, the UPA200 should be fine. Very happy customer here with Emotiva.
On that note, the UPA-500 is looking interesting....

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed, I will be adding more Emotiva equipment in the future!

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Thanks everyone and a Merry Christmas to all.

What about the UPA-200 vs UPA-500? The cost difference between these isn't the deciding factor. The 500 gives me more room for growth. I keep wondering if I would notice a difference between 80 vs 125 amps in (my) real world? Especially given either of these amps would be driving just the surrounds?

Thoughts or opinions?

PS: I'm so glad I dug around here before pulling the trigger on ebay. I just saw the same line of Acurus I have, but the 5x125 version, go for ~$450. This is a about 15 year old amp. (the new ones are pricey!)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am the "other one" that had a bad experience and dumped my Emo.

Most people have had great luck with them but I won't go down that road again.

I do still get a Christmas card from Emo each year so I am happy about that...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What about the UPA-200 vs UPA-500? The cost difference between these isn't the deciding factor. The 500 gives me more room for growth. I keep wondering if I would notice a difference between 80 vs 125 amps in (my) real world? Especially given either of these amps would be driving just the surrounds?
That's a very good question. My guess is that you won't notice a difference.

Here's where the amp gurus will hopefully chime in and let you know if what I'm about to say is valid or complete gibberish. You're average power draw won't be very high, even when you're playing movies decently loud. I think one of the keys is the storage capacitance - that's what will give you the dynamics at louder volumes because it can provide the necessary transient power spikes caused by things like cymbal crashes. Both the UPA-200 and UPA-500 have the same storage capacitance. What I don't know is if the capacitors are used by any channel that needs them - if that's the case, then you'd have the same amount available for each speaker on the UPA-500 when you have two speakers connected as you would on the UPA-200 with two speakers connected.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm too stuck up for Emotiva. :D That's why I own ATI, which makes amps for most amp companies in North America like some Mark Levinson, Lexicon, JBL, Cary Audio, etc. Oh yeah, ATI also owns Theta Digital & B&K.

But most people seem to love Emotiva. So I think you will be pleased with Emotiva also.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I'm too stuck up for Emotiva. :D That's why I own ATI, which makes amps for most amp companies in North America like some Mark Levinson, Lexicon, JBL, Cary Audio, etc. Oh yeah, ATI also owns Theta Digital & B&K.

But most people seem to love Emotiva. So I think you will be pleased with Emotiva also.
I heard someone was supposed to be buying B&K. Did it actually happen? B&K, and anything that resembles their stuff, is gone.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
That's a very good question. My guess is that you won't notice a difference.

Here's where the amp gurus will hopefully chime in and let you know if what I'm about to say is valid or complete gibberish. You're average power draw won't be very high, even when you're playing movies decently loud. I think one of the keys is the storage capacitance - that's what will give you the dynamics at louder volumes because it can provide the necessary transient power spikes caused by things like cymbal crashes. Both the UPA-200 and UPA-500 have the same storage capacitance. What I don't know is if the capacitors are used by any channel that needs them - if that's the case, then you'd have the same amount available for each speaker on the UPA-500 when you have two speakers connected as you would on the UPA-200 with two speakers connected.
That's what I'd like to know.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I heard someone was supposed to be buying B&K. Did it actually happen? B&K, and anything that resembles their stuff, is gone.
ATI bought out B&K. I think ATI was already making amps for B&K even before ATI bought out B&K.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
ATI bought out B&K. I think ATI was already making amps for B&K even before ATI bought out B&K.
What did they do with it? The name is dead and nothing on ATI's site resembles any like a Ref 70.

Who makes Acurus?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What did they do with it? The name is dead and nothing on ATI's site resembles any like a Ref 70.

Who makes Acurus?
ATI just makes amps now. They don't make pre-pros anymore. So ATI will continue to make amps for B&K (under the B&K label) and for most amp companies in a North America.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Mondial used to own Acurus & Aragon. They went bankrupt and sold to Klipsch. Then sold to Indy Audio Lab.

Acurus is kind of expensive. A 200wpc x 5ch amp for $3500.

www.acurusav.com - web store

I'd rather get an ATI AT2005 for $2300 w/ 7 yr warranty.

ATI AT2005 Five Channel x 200 Watt Amplifier - B-Stock (120 V) - Amplifiers

Acurus: 200wpc @ 0.03% THD, 106dB SNR, crosstalk ?, Made in USA, 5 yr warranty, NOT fully balanced, fuse circuits.

AT2000: 200wpc @ 0.03% THD, 123dB SNR, 100dB crosstalk, Made in USA, 7 year warranty, fully balanced from Input to output, no-fuse automatic circuits.

I remember having to replace the fuses on all 3 of my Acurus 200X3 amps. What a pain.

Then finding out from TLS Guy that the 200X3 amps didn't even have proper speaker protection circuit. :eek:

And back then I bought my Acurus 200wpc x 3ch for $1,000 brand new. Now an Acurus 200wpc x 2ch is $2500? Yikes. :eek: I'll pass.

I can get an ATI AT2002 Fully Balanced for $1500 w/ 7yr warranty.
http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers/ati-at2005-five-channel-x-200-watt-amplifier-b-stock-120-v-1.html

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Acurus is kind of expensive. A 200wpc x 5ch amp for $3500.

www.acurusav.com - web store

I'd rather get an ATI AT2005 for $2300 w/ 7 yr warranty.

[
AT2000: 200wpc @ 0.03% THD, 123dB SNR, 100dB crosstalk, Made in USA, 7 year warranty, fully balanced from Input to output, no-fuse automatic circuits.

I remember having to replace the fuses on all 3 of my Acurus 200X3 amps. What a pain.

And back then I bought my Acurus 200wpc x 3ch for $1,000 brand new. Now an Acurus 200wpc x 2ch is $2500? Yikes. :eek: I'll pass.

I can get an ATI AT2002 Fully Balanced for $1500 w/ 7yr warranty.
ATI AT2002 Two Channel x 200 Watt Amplifier - B-Stock (120 V) - Amplifiers

Thanks, I'll take a close look at the ATI's.

I've had no issues with my Acurus. My B&K is dying a slow death though. The Acurus are expensive. I'm not going to add an amp that's this expensive to drive my surrounds. What got me to this post in the first place was the price a 15 year old Acurus A125X5 sold for on ebay. Then finding what I can get a new Emotiva for while trolling this site for options.

Of course, 3db is doubling the amp output wattage. What I don't understand is the correlations between this and how loud it sounds in the room (first order, for a typical loudspeaker). In other words, how much louder would I perceive a 125w amp to be over an 85w? Much at all?

Then, to Adam's point, would an 5x85w amp have power supply sagging issues driving 4 surrounds under "normal" volumes?

Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis