speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
These new Airmotiv Subs have a down-firing active driver w/a passive radiator on the front. Really like this kind of design. Just wished the active driver was on the front and the passive on the bottom. Perhaps, there is a reason for that as I am not sure. It is good to have more choices. Congrats to Emotiva!

Cheers,

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Looks to me that the passive radiator and driver are using the same frame/mounting, so you could always try swapping position to see if you like it better as front driver & bottom radiator.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Box is probably built to suit the driver location. You don't need as much bracing for the PR and it won't have any motor structure so it usually doesn't have a deep back like the active driver because there's no magnet.

John, those were the BasX subs. The Airmotivs were just added today. That is why I posted this thread. It was not to over step Kurt's thread. Actually, they were added like 14-hours or so ago. But, they sure look interesting. Curious to see the specs on the 15" version myself.
Sorry, thought they were the same ones. Nice.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Box is probably built to suit the driver location. You don't need as much bracing for the PR and it won't have any motor structure so it usually doesn't have a deep back like the active driver because there's no magnet.

True, I hadn't considered that. A look inside is the only way to know.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Looks to me that the passive radiator and driver are using the same frame/mounting, so you could always try swapping position to see if you like it better as front driver & bottom radiator.
The down-firing active driver could create some problems between me and my neighbor underneath me. Unfortunately, she is also the apartment manger. No need to get evicted. The Subdude/Gramma would help, but not sure how much. I don't listen at reference levels, but do like to ROCK out as often as I can.....LOL!!!! That is why I mentioned it.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

No big deal John. The link the other day did bring you to the new BasX subs. Now, I see it also does the new Airmotiv subs as well. Just curious about the 15" sub. It is supposed to arrive in 3-4 weeks from what I have been reading. BTW, never knew a PR did not have a magnet. Learn something new every day....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The down-firing active driver could create some problems between me and my neighbor underneath me. Unfortunately, she is also the apartment manger. No need to get evicted. The Subdude/Gramma would help, but not sure how much. I don't listen at reference levels, but do like to ROCK out as often as I can.....LOL!!!! That is why I mentioned it.

Cheers,

Phil
I don't really care for the downfiring drivers. It's likely just my bias and has no connection to real-world performance. But, whatever, it's just not for me.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I don't really care for the downfiring drivers. It's likely just my bias and has no connection to real-world performance. But, whatever, it's just not for me.
In a vented sub, if the port and the driver are both down-firing it practically eliminates distortion. Not too sure why or how it works, but have read that many times. I think my former Mirage S10 and S12 both were designed that way from what I can remember. As such, I could see in this example why a down firing driver would be an advantage. Otherwise, at least for my needs, it could cause me some problems with my apartment manager. No need to get evicted as Winter is here!

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Franken-SVS Plus that I built out of my buddy's old sub was down firing with a vertical PR as well. Not really sure how much it affects the sound, but that sub sounded pretty good.

U channel brace clearance and support for the active driver (that's the bottom facing up) and just normal hole for the PR on the side. He built it for a different driver then upgraded so I bought the box from him and dropped an old SVS plus driver and GR Research PR (which you can adjust using weights) with a Rythmik amp in it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Franken-SVS Plus that I built out of my buddy's old sub was down firing with a vertical PR as well. Not really sure how much it affects the sound, but that sub sounded pretty good.

U channel brace clearance and support for the active driver (that's the bottom facing up) and just normal hole for the PR on the side. He built it for a different driver then upgraded so I bought the box from him and dropped an old SVS plus driver and GR Research PR (which you can adjust using weights) with a Rythmik amp in it.

Dang John, I think that you are in the wrong business. You got skills my friend. Looks like it is built like a tank. I noticed that Emotiva is using HDF as opposed to MDF. Does that really make much of a difference? I am sure it is more expensive too. The PR functions like a port right? At least, that is how I understand it. The Physics behind it is fascinating to say the least.

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That wasn't me. My buddy built that cabinet - he's good at it.

Yes PR adds some output as well and allows the design to behave like a ported design while giving you a cleaner sound more like sealed.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That wasn't me. My buddy built that cabinet - he's good at it.

Yes PR adds some output as well and allows the design to behave like a ported design while giving you a cleaner sound more like sealed.
Oh I see. He is very talented. Wished I could do that. So, do you think that the Airmotiv subs will be good musically speaking? I am liking what I have been reading so far. Have a feeling that they would excel at musicality. Sure have my attention.

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
These new Airmotiv Subs have a down-firing active driver w/a passive radiator on the front. Really like this kind of design. Just wished the active driver was on the front and the passive on the bottom. Perhaps, there is a reason for that as I am not sure. It is good to have more choices. Congrats to Emotiva!

Cheers,

Phil
Mounting a PR in a down-firing orientation will cause the cone to sag and will stretch out the spider until it deforms, at which point it would have to be replaced. You don't want a down-firing passive radiator, especially if it is really heavy, which they can be in smaller enclosures and deep tuning.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In a vented sub, if the port and the driver are both down-firing it practically eliminates distortion. Not too sure why or how it works, but have read that many times. I think my former Mirage S10 and S12 both were designed that way from what I can remember. As such, I could see in this example why a down firing driver would be an advantage. Otherwise, at least for my needs, it could cause me some problems with my apartment manager. No need to get evicted as Winter is here!

Cheers,

Phil
No, down-firing ports or drivers do not eliminate distortion. They can reduce the audibility of higher harmonics, but in any competently engineered subwoofer those are not a problem anyway.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
No, down-firing ports or drivers do not eliminate distortion. They can reduce the audibility of higher harmonics, but in any competently engineered subwoofer those are not a problem anyway.
Shady I remember reading something about both the port and the driver being down-firing results is very low distortion. I think that is when I bought the Mirage S12. Later down the line I also owned a Mirage S10 at some point. Maybe it was just a sales pitch, but I do remember specifically reading about it. Both of the subs were very good. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The idea is that since higher frequencies are more directional than lower frequencies, the higher frequencies contained in upper harmonics will be diminished since they are emitted in a direction away from the listener, whereas low frequencies go everywhere equally. One of the problems with this idea is that the point where subwoofers start to heavily distort is very low frequencies where the excursions become very large. Most of the harmonics of those frequencies are still well within non-directional radiating frequencies and so are not reduced by having the point of emission facing another direction. The only thing that I think would be significantly masked is turbulence from the port, since that is just noise and not harmonically related to the fundamental. But turbulence is something you do want to hear, since it indicates it is time to back down on the volume.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The idea is that since higher frequencies are more directional than lower frequencies, the higher frequencies contained in upper harmonics will be diminished since they are emitted in a direction away from the listener, whereas low frequencies go everywhere equally. One of the problems with this idea is that the point where subwoofers start to heavily distort is very low frequencies where the excursions become very large. Most of the harmonics of those frequencies are still well within non-directional radiating frequencies and so are not reduced by having the point of emission facing another direction. The only thing that I think would be significantly masked is turbulence from the port, since that is just noise and not harmonically related to the fundamental. But turbulence is something you do want to hear, since it indicates it is time to back down on the volume.
Maybe that design was a way to reduce port noise then. It was something along those lines. Thanks once again for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis