Emotiva Audio XSP-1 Differential Reference Preamp Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Instead of bringing balance to the Force, Emotiva Audio has brought balance to a stereo preamp. With a two year development time, the XSP-1 has everything the discerning audiophile expects in a preamp except for the high pricetag. At under $900, the Emotiva XSP-1 is practically an impulse buy for the sort of buyer that would be interested in the signal purity the XSP-1 promises. If you're looking for a high end two-channel preamp with a full compliment of balanced inputs and outputs including a subwoofer channel with bass management, the XSP-1 is going to be tough to beat. Given it's feature compliment, integration of high quality headphone and phono sections, fully differential construction from input to output, the XSP-1 is a unique product in this market and a gem for any audiophile that wants great performance and versatility often lacking in most alternatives.

Discuss "Emotiva Audio XSP-1 Differential Reference Preamp Preview" here. Read the article.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Nice to see bass management making its way to more 2 channel gear. This thing combined with Emo's ERC-2 and XPA-2 would make a mean looking front end for a music system.

C

christopherb210

Audiophyte
Things they forgot

The XSP-1 has provision for 2 subwoofers with bass management for normal listening but it only has one subwoofer input for home theater bypass operation. So it seems to me they forgot to have 2 subwoofer inputs. This makes the home theater bypass function unusable if you wish to have both of your subwoofers connected to the XSP-1. Your only choice is to send the subwoofer output output from the XSP-1 and your home theater receiver to your subwoofers separately, if your subwoofer has 2 inputs. If it doesn't, a 2 into 1 switch would be required. If you have both of your subwoofers connected to the XSP-1(L and R outputs), you still cannot use the home theater bypass feature for one of them by connecting to the one subwoofer input from your home theater receiver, as the left and right outputs on the XSP-1 are attenuated by 3 db each.That's a deal breaker for me, as the whole reason I'm looking for an analog preamp is for home theater bypass operation. 2 subwoofer outputs with only one subwoofer input makes no sense

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The XSP-1 has provision for 2 subwoofers with bass management for normal listening but it only has one subwoofer input for home theater bypass operation. So it seems to me they forgot to have 2 subwoofer inputs. This makes the home theater bypass function unusable if you wish to have both of your subwoofers connected to the XSP-1. Your only choice is to send the subwoofer output output from the XSP-1 and your home theater receiver to your subwoofers separately, if your subwoofer has 2 inputs. If it doesn't, a 2 into 1 switch would be required. If you have both of your subwoofers connected to the XSP-1(L and R outputs), you still cannot use the home theater bypass feature for one of them by connecting to the one subwoofer input from your home theater receiver, as the left and right outputs on the XSP-1 are attenuated by 3 db each.That's a deal breaker for me, as the whole reason I'm looking for an analog preamp is for home theater bypass operation. 2 subwoofer outputs with only one subwoofer input makes no sense
interesting. I missed that but will inquiry. thanks.

M

milt1999

Enthusiast
HY Bypass

It really doesn't make it "unusable" just unusable for you I guess.
Try the Parasound Halo P7 @ $1999.00.
Good luck to ya!

A

audioguy123

Audiophyte
I just received this product and the bass management does not work. Once the bass management switches on the rear are set, the measured response is identical regardless of the crossover frequency selected. That applies to both the mains and the subs. I have sent an inquiry to them (with plots to prove my point) to see what gives. Hopefully my unit is just malfunctioning.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Hey Audioguy123. I know this is old but I was curious as to why your bass management didn't work on your XSP-1.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis