Emotiva announced two new subs

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, they do look interesting, but I would like to see them specify a tolerance for the frequency response, because without it, the numbers are pretty much meaningless.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, a tolerance should be required...I also wish they would post what frequency those SPL numbers are at in regards to the typical in room output.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's why we need a review
Samples are being shipped to myself and Josh for testing. I'm writing up a Preview article in the meantime.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The 12" could be my new sub. If test results by AH indicate their advertised specs with afew more numbers around it, this would be a great sub.

N

Noobalert

Audiophyte
I wonder how the $629.99 Emotiva X-Ref 12 stacks up to the $569.99(with shipping) epik Legend. I'm in the market for a pair of subwoofers with a $1800 budget.

55katest55

Audioholic
I wonder how the $629.99 Emotiva X-Ref 12 stacks up to the $569.99(with shipping) epik Legend. I'm in the market for a pair of subwoofers with a $1800 budget.
im willing to bet the empires would just destroy the x-ref 12. besides going way lower (16-18 hz; the emotiva goes to 20 hz but ive heard it doesnt get anywhere near this on the similar(ish) Ultra Sub 12), the thing weighs almost twice as much (80 lbs vs 44 lbs), and ive always thought that for subwoofers weight is usually a good indication of quality.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
im willing to bet the empires would just destroy the x-ref 12. besides going way lower (16-18 hz; the emotiva goes to 20 hz but ive heard it doesnt get anywhere near this on the similar(ish) Ultra Sub 12), the thing weighs almost twice as much (80 lbs vs 44 lbs), and ive always thought that for subwoofers weight is usually a good indication of quality.
You can't change the laws of physics. If Sub A has a bigger driver and cabinet than Sub B, its a good bet Sub A will have more output and extension with all other things being equal. Emotiva is NOT about offering MAX SPL with their subs. Instead they give you competently good performance on the cheap and in a small form factor. The new XREF subs appear to have a significant performance edge over their Ultra subs. I like it when companies manage this feat without increasing the price on the consumer.

Also note that the Emotiva sub definitely has a more elaborate driver design and a more powerful amp than the Epik but the Epik has two drivers in a larger enclosure.

We shall see how the Emotiva's perform when we test both of the new models of course. I will also request from Epik subs for Josh to test in his next round of subwoofer tests.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The new XREF subs appear to have a significant performance edge over their Ultra subs. I like it when companies manage this feat without increasing the price on the consumer.
I like it too, but I'm confused by this statement as Emotiva did raise the prices on newer models - ie: Ultra 12 list is $499 while X-Ref 12 list is $699...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
An Empire wouldn't be a fair comparison to either of these new subs. You'd have to compare to a Legend, and it would still be a dual driver setup.

With a sub weight is not a bad indicator, but a lighter sub doesn't always mean your performance will suffer. In the case of the Epiks, the cabinets are a substantial portion of the weight.

N

Noobalert

Audiophyte
An Empire wouldn't be a fair comparison to either of these new subs. You'd have to compare to a Legend, and it would still be a dual driver setup.
I think 55katest55 just got the names mixed up is all, they gave the proper weight of the legend and compared that of the new emotiva 12.

LOL the Empire is like 3.5x heaver then the new emotiva 12...

N

Noobalert

Audiophyte
I like it too, but I'm confused by this statement as Emotiva did raise the prices on newer models - ie: Ultra 12 list is $499 while X-Ref 12 list is $699...
Its $599 if you got the emailed coupon code, but i'm still leaning more towards the epik legend, or bumping up to bigger subs at that price. The Ultra 12 seems like the better deal.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Its $599 if you got the emailed coupon code, but i'm still leaning more towards the epik legend, or bumping up to bigger subs at that price. The Ultra 12 seems like the better deal.
$599 from their into price - $629 - not much of the "special" discount....
I bet that emotiva's new RefX-12 is one of the best sealed single driver 12" sub, but i have reservation about it's value vs competition....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How big is your room?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I emailed EMotiva today just to see how much it costs to ship the 12" version up to Canada. It sucks to be in Canada at times. :(

Cost of Product 629
Duties 6.5% 40.885
Brokerage Fees 33
Subtotal 702.885

GST 5% 35.14
Freight 67.08
Subtotal 102.22

Total 805.11

That's almnost $200 more. I wonder what I could get here in Canada for $629

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com