elite vsx54...not cutting the mustard?

T

trekuhl

Enthusiast
keep the elite54 or maybe go for the yammy2500? anyone experience both receivers?

so....i got this elite vsx54 from tweeter last week (after trying out a open box denon 2803 for about a month)

i like the sound, sounds better than the denon2803 to my ears, the HK525 i had sounded better than the 2803 as well.

but im not happy with a couple things
1.remote - doesnt light at all, i like to watch movie/tv at night before bed.
2.cant select to record out to the front panel connectors - this is a big deal for me since i do alot of video on my GL1 and XL1s, sometimes need that capability and dont want to fish around the back connecting things.

paying $1K for a receiver is pretty substantial for me at the moment, im still finishing college - i want to get more bang for the buck, but also use this thing for the next 5 or 6 years probably.

I could go back and get the yammy 2500 (same price as the elite54) and the yammy has some record out options ( at least from the manual online it does) that i really want. it also has a an extra set of inputs for another component and vid source, im just wondering what it would sound like. I know that Pioneer is super picky about their warranty stuff, so if I get the yammy and someone knows a reputable place to get it for less that the $1K tweeter price, by all means share it...i havnet completely decided on what to do, but i know for this kind of money i cant live with a receiver than doesnt let me swap around the record out features.

Seems like a number of yammy fans on here, so im sure you would recommend me going for it....

the only other option is the local tweeter here has the denon 3805 floor model for a little over $1k, but i wasnt very happy with the sound of the 2803, so im thinking i will steer clear of the denon.

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
There is a reason the 2500 gets the posts

:) First off let me say that I got my 2500 from a Tweeter store, it is called Sound Advice in my area (South Florida). And I got mine for $900.00. Granted I did buy a complete system. Speakers, and sub plus the receiver. I do not have my manual here with me but I think you are correct about the record out.

I am unable to comment on the comparison between the Yamaha and Pioneer. I can tell you that the sound from my 2500 is clean and pure. If you have the ability to trade in I would reccomend the 2500. Not knocking Pioneer but to have to fish around behind the receiver is no fun for sure. Also having 3 component inputs is a big deal to me. The video processor in the 2500 is awesome. I do not see a lot written about it but I notice a significant difference as well. :cool:

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
wafflebird said:
The video processor in the 2500 is awesome. I do not see a lot written about it but I notice a significant difference as well. :cool:
direct quote: The RX-V2500 simply converts the Composite or S-Video signals and sends them out the Component jacks, it does not process the signal at all.

YEC Support [YECSupport@yamaha.com]

Don't get me wrong. I have an RX-V2500 and it's a great machine. But don't count on it to change your video signal.

T

trekuhl

Enthusiast
yep, i used to live in orlando - bought a ton of car stuff from sound advice back in 99-00

Ive only had the vsx54 for a week, and i have 30 days to get it back if i dont want it.

The only other options Tweeter has, if i go with them still, is the yamaha 2500 for the same price as the vsx54 (999.99) or the denon 3805 (had demo one for 1179, but i see authorized dealers have clearanced them for 1200, so id prob ask to pricematch for new, or drop price on the open box some more.)

the previous denon 2803 i got really dissappointed me at first, but it started to grow on me. It just seemed like i was really cranking it up to get volume compared to the HK525 or even this pioneer elite now. just wondering how the 3805 would fare. ofcourse, right now im running some pretty crappy speakers, but hopefully will change that situation in a few months and slowly build up on those.

i do like that fact that the 3805 has about 7 lbs on the 2500...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis