Electrostatic Speakers

B

Brian Jackson

Audiophyte
Hello Audioholics! Been around the forum scene for quite a while, and just joined this forum and thought I offer my thoughts on some equipment I just bought: the speakers and the cables that came with it.

I couldn’t afford brand new speakers, and thought I’d try a different type speaker as opposed to my B&W 805 Diamond speakers. My dealer has loaned me Marten Logan Quest Z electrostatic speakers, as well as TARA Labs “The One” cables for this purpose. Right away I could hear a difference in sounds between the B&W and The ML. My B&W definitely have more punch to them, and the bass is quite remarkable. (this works great when I’m listening to my classic rock collection) What I found interesting was the way the ML speakers had a sound that seemed to encompass the whole room. Like a wall of sound (courtesy of Phil Spector) If you’ve never heard a good pair of electrostatic speakers, then I’d urge you to try and listen to some if you can. Really a whole new world out there. The cables that my dealer loaned me where TARA Labs. Though I’ve heard of them before, I haven’t really seen any advertising in any magazines showing off new models etc. I saw them in Stereophile Recommended components issues. I’ve always used Wireworld cables in my system before and do love them. I will say that I immediately heard a difference when I put the TARA Labs cables in my system. The high frequencies were insane to say the least. As a matter of fact, the Marten Logans with those cables really expanded when I put Dark side of the moon on (180gm vinyl) Anyone out there have any experience with electrostatic speakers?

-Brian J.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You've just experienced planar speakers. Congratulations. There IS a difference between planars, which are dipolar, and monopoles. Even Helen Keller could discern that.

Now, as for the cables, I'm not so sold. I've never experience a repeatable difference between cables.

If you replaced both the cables and speakers at the same time. it really invalidates any opinions you might have on the cables making a difference. No question on the speakers, though

Last edited:
jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
I met Phil Spector a few times... He was in E yard in 3 block. Tiny little skeleton of a man. His wife was a plastic blond that was my age, came to visit him every weekend. :)

Acoustat

Acoustat

Full Audioholic
Hi Brian
Here's a link to Planar Speaker Asylum
The Martin Logans are slightly dissed there when referring to a curved panel.
ML being in business as long as they have, trust me, I am not dissing them
and am looking to get ML non ESL, for my surrounds next year possibly.
I'm afraid the cable length and ohm rating of my current AVR would be a problem
to run the ML EM-ESLs I was going to get for my rear channel.
It could be possible that the difference you heard with your cables was
possibly the gauge of the cables and length. It is possible that as long as the
amount of the conductor is ample, the sound will be sound as the same.
If the length were longer and the gauge smaller beyond what's required,
you may be hearing characteristic changes in the amp or preamp if it's working harder
but that is all speculation, just something to consider on cables.

I currently run nothing but a full electrostatic (not hybrid) but will be ordering a nice
Rythmik F-15 sub to compliment them soon for HT. I've had mine for 25 years
and they came with a Lifetime Warranty, then, though Rockford is now gone,
so I really need that sub to help preserve the life of my speakers.

It is such a sweet treat, to listen to. They coerce you when properly set up
to close your eyes, and hear in detail different heights/levels/distances
of a transparent but pronounced detailed sound stage.
Eric Claptons voice floats just a couple feet centered in front of you
though the speakers are ~13' away and apart.
You can "see" the moisture on Barbara Streisands lips as she speaks/sings
though her voice is rather dry, but her lips and tongue are not.
That's my take on it anyway. Markw's running Magnepans, and are the brand
of planars I heard when I was a kid, that cemented the "I gotta have those" someday
in my audible memory banks. Thanks for sharing your experience and love of the planars :D

Acoustat

Acoustat

Full Audioholic
Would love to audition these, but $58K is more than my allowance affords
http://muraudio.com
They claim to have eliminated any sweet spot. Sweet...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis