electrostatic speaker help!

G

got15psi

Audiophyte
Hey everyone,

I picked up a set of electrostatic speakers, and I seem to have problems powering them..... I have tested on two receivers Teac AD-G9320 and a Pionneer VSX-14. Both receivers push 100w per channel, while the pionneer sounds much better I have to crank that sucker pretty high to get good sound.... Not optimal.. but loud enough for movies.....

I haven't played with electrostatic speakers before, but this system was pretty loud when I tested it at the CES show. I wanted to know if this is an issue about power coming from the receiver. Here is some information about the speakers.

Speakers:
- Frequency response : 280 Hz ~ 24 KHz
- Sensitivity : Equivalent to 86 db / 1 W / 1m ; measured at 4 meters
- Impedance : Normal 6 ohm
- Audio power ( min / max ) : 20 / 80 Watts ( music )

Sub:
- Maximum power output : 120 Watts
- Input impedance : 47 K ohm
- Frequency response : 30 Hz ~ 280 Hz
- Component : 204 mm ( 8 inches ) dynamic woofer
- Crossover : 220 Hz ~ 280 Hz ( Adjustable )
- Middle frequency fine tune
- Built in speakers protect circuit

The system was tested on a Denon 3805 and it was not turned up very loud at all... compared to what I am doing right now. I know the Denon supports 6ohm at 160w per channel... Could this be the factor for my soft sounding speakers? I was also told that electrostatic speakers require alot of power to push them... is this true?

I was Planning to buy a Yamaha 4600, but wanted to know if I should stick with Denon instead... or at least have a better understanding of why my speakers sound so soft with these two receivers.

Any help would be great!

Thank You

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Were the receivers, or can the receivers be setup for 6ohm speakers? I think default is set for 8ohm. You have to go into the receiver setup and select 6ohm. Playing 6ohm speaker from an 8ohm receiver will eventually damage the speaker. I think @ 8ohm, the receiver pushes less power, which may explain why you have to turn up the volume so much.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm confused by this spec: Sensitivity : Equivalent to 86 db / 1 W / 1m ; measured at 4 meters

86 dB/1W/1M would mean 86 dB SPL 1 meter from the speaker when fed 1 watt. The problem is that '1W' is 2.83 volts into 8 ohms, but less into 6 ohms or lower. Sensitivity specs are usually standardized to use 2.83 volts.

What was measured at 4 meters? If it is 86 dB at 4 meters, then it would be something like 98 dB at 1M and that would contradict the 86dB/1W/1M spec provided. [Using the rule of thumb that every doubling of distance results in a 6 dB drop in output]. Actual output will be even lower if the spec given is into 8 ohms when the speaker is really 6 ohms.

If the receiver has a 6 Ohm or 4 Ohm switch, do not use it. All it does is lower the available rail voltage and you will get even less volume. An average Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo/Pioneer/et al receiver should be able to handle 6 ohm speakers without incident.

How big is the room? I'm inclined to believe it's simply a case of using somewhat inefficient speakers in too large a room. 100 watts should be sufficent to drive them fairly loudly, but you'll have to turn the volume knob a bit higher.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis