Electronics math book?

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Are there any good books on electronics math out there for us math-impaired DIYers? I don't expect to learn trig and calc from the ground up but if I can make some sense of the equations I run into in my reading and plug in the variables with a scientific calculator (and learn how to use the calculator, too!) it'd be nice.

I thought I posted this here a day or so ago but it wasn't here so...I guess along with the AARP membership come-ons I'm starting to have 'senior moments'. :p

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
Greatest book on electronics ever written is "The Art Of Electronics," a big book that starts from the ground floor elemental basics and works its way up with plenty of examples.

It was invaluable in college, and I still keep my copy with me at work as a reference.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I think CRC press used to make a book with all the formulas and tables in it.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Thanks...I already have some basic electronics books and know Rod Elliott's site well (I'm building some of his amps), but I'm looking for a sort of shorthand electronics math text or other math resource for a liberal arts type guy who barely made it thru algebra in high school many years ago. I've actually thought of taking courses at the local community college but that's not practical. I know there are math texts geared to other specialties like machinists. Any for electronics...maybe not for engineers but for repair techs and the like?

Basically, I'd just like to know what keys to punch in a scientific calculator when I run into things like log, sin, cos in the equations I run into in my books, and get remedial help with things like what operations do do in what order (is that called "precedence" or something?). Once I get past simple Ohm's Law problems it gets fuzzy!

BTW, some more recent encounters with math (basic stats, for instance) in grad school have made me suspect that I'm not as hopeless as I feared where numbers are concerned...maybe just too easily frustrated in my youth. So I think I'm "trainable" at least.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Hummm???

Rip Van Woofer said:
BTW, some more recent encounters with math (basic stats, for instance) in grad school have made me suspect that I'm not as hopeless as I feared where numbers are concerned...maybe just too easily frustrated in my youth. So I think I'm "trainable" at least.
So we can teach an old audiophile new tricks??? :eek: Get ready for some long days of positive reinforcement training. :D :p

On a serious note :rolleyes: do you have the Pocket Ref. book?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=500-087

This book has everything you will ever need for life, even info on rocks!!!

Hope that helped

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Rip Van Woofer said:
Basically, I'd just like to know what keys to punch in a scientific calculator when I run into things like log, sin, cos in the equations I run into in my books, and get remedial help with things like what operations do do in what order (is that called "precedence" or something?). Once I get past simple Ohm's Law problems it gets fuzzy!
I recently got my hands on a copy of Speaker Building 201 by Ray Alden and it has additional math tips dispersed throughout the book that may be what you're looking for.

So far, I've read the first 3 chapters, and the writing is MUCH BETTER than Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook. Apparently Ray Alden was a high school math teacher and is very good at writing clear explanations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis