effect on acoustics/reflections if opposing walls are diff. materials

T

tinnitusintx

Audiophyte
I have a space in the garage I'm needing to get the acoustics optimized in. I need to make a wall on the left side and have created a boundary with a row of storage shelves. I want to put something in front of the shelves that is a solid surface floor to ceiling to try and balance that side of the space with the opposite sheetrock wall. The wall behind the speakers and the back wall behind the seating area are sheetrock as well. I will need to access the items on the shelves from time to time, so I need the panels that make up the wall in front of the shelves to be somewhat lightweight so they're easy to move. I was thinking 1/4 plywood with bracing to give it rigidity, but I'm wondering what effect having one wall surface of different construction/reflectivity will have on the room's acoustics? I'm using your standard room treatments like superchunk broadband absorbers (bass traps) in the corners, absorption panels at first reflection on side walls and ceiling, and absorption panels in corner formed by the ceiling/wall behind speakers. The room's dimensions are 14' wide x 20' deep x 8'.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a space in the garage I'm needing to get the acoustics optimized in. I need to make a wall on the left side and have created a boundary with a row of storage shelves. I want to put something in front of the shelves that is a solid surface floor to ceiling to try and balance that side of the space with the opposite sheetrock wall. The wall behind the speakers and the back wall behind the seating area are sheetrock as well. I will need to access the items on the shelves from time to time, so I need the panels that make up the wall in front of the shelves to be somewhat lightweight so they're easy to move. I was thinking 1/4 plywood with bracing to give it rigidity, but I'm wondering what effect having one wall surface of different construction/reflectivity will have on the room's acoustics? I'm using your standard room treatments like superchunk broadband absorbers (bass traps) in the corners, absorption panels at first reflection on side walls and ceiling, and absorption panels in corner formed by the ceiling/wall behind speakers. The room's dimensions are 14' wide x 20' deep x 8'.
You're going to make it so the walls symmetrical, along the center line, right?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis