Educate me on FLAC streaming....

R

roadrat

Audioholic Intern
I currently stream Apple Lossless files via iTunes on PC to an Apple Airport Express to my Receiver.

I would prefer to stream FLAC files on my PC to my Receiver.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thanks!

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
This doesn't quite answer your question but why not continue with apple lossless? There is no difference in terms of SQ and iTunes is designed to work with apple lossless.

R

roadrat

Audioholic Intern
I rip to FLAC since I prefer to store files in FLAC format. Also, FLAC files automagically upload to Google Music for use on my phone, tablet, and laptop.

I then use DBPowerAmp to convert my FLAC files to Apple Lossless for streaming in my office.

So now I have both FLAC and Apple Lossless versions of the same songs. Thats a lotta harddrive space.

On top of that, I would like to get away from iTunes.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I'm not sure if what I am doing will work for you but I have all of my music in FLAC format an use MediaMonkey to do all of my ripping and metadata. I use an app called MediaMonkey Remote that allows me to control my music and play what I want. My computer is connected to my preamp with a USB DAC (musicstreamer). I don't have any kind of wireless and I am using the app more as a control mechanism.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
to stream flac files to your avr you'd need your avr to support this natively (typically thru dlna) or need to have some sort of media client attached to avr or directly with optionally external dac
Could be usb or toslink/spdif

R

roadrat

Audioholic Intern
to stream flac files to your avr you'd need your avr to support this natively (typically thru dlna) or need to have some sort of media client attached to avr or directly with optionally external dac
Could be usb or toslink/spdif
Can you give dumb this down for me?

1. I was able to get WMP to play FLAC
2. I Was able to setup the DLNA server on my Win7 PC

What do I do now? How do I tell WMP to play via the Onkyo rather than thru my PC Speakers?

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
my BIGGEST audio regret was choosing flac over apple lossless (damn you, audiophiles!). why? there is NO difference in sound but if you ever ever ever use anything apple (itunes, iphone, ipod, whatever) apple makes it damn difficult to use flac. not impossible but a giant P.I.A. and, of course, the opposite is not true - most other non-apple music players/devices will play nice with apple lossless files. because apple sucks and how people ever got the idea that it is microsoft and not apple that is the evil corporate empire i will never know.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you give dumb this down for me?

1. I was able to get WMP to play FLAC
2. I Was able to setup the DLNA server on my Win7 PC

What do I do now? How do I tell WMP to play via the Onkyo rather than thru my PC Speakers?
How is your Pc connected to receiver and the model # of the later?

R

roadrat

Audioholic Intern
How is your Pc connected to receiver and the model # of the later?
PC is connected to the Network via Ethernet
Receiver is connected directly to the network via Ethernet
Receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR807

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks....I read 109-110. It looks like this will allow me to "pull" from my PC.

Is there another music software other than iTunes to "push" the music to the Receiver?
yea, connect digital audio cable from pc to receiver and set-up foobar to play thru this device

R

roadrat

Audioholic Intern
yea, connect digital audio cable from pc to receiver and set-up foobar to play thru this device
Now I will show my newb colors....

the PC and receiver are not close to each other. How would I connect a digital audio cable?

Currently, I have a DA cable coming out of the Airport Express to the Receiver.

It sounds like I need a hardware replacement for the Airport Express

ughhh

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis