Easy Inexpensive DIY Speaker Stands

rumonkey2

rumonkey2

Junior Audioholic
Not being the handiest w/ woodwork - mainly because I don't have the tools - I was looking for an easy solution for some basic DIY speaker stands. Wandering around an arts & crafts store, these struck me as "doable".
Basic unfinished pine (or basewood for a little more $$) plaques & CD crates. Picked up 2- 9x6, 2- 11x9 and 2 crates 6x6x15 for roughly $18. 8 woodscrews, wood glue, sandpaper, stain/paint & poly - $12.
Slapped a pair together in about 10 minutes - then did a quick finish job just for my current speakers.

Attachments

rumonkey2

rumonkey2

Junior Audioholic
Finished Product

OK, didn't take my time on finishing these...just wanted to get them functional. Plan on doing the same thing once I get some X-LS. Will add some spikes & use rubber feet to decouple. Will have to go 1 size up w/ plaques to accommodate size of x-ls & have found crate about 1" longer(taller in this case) that will put tweeter at around 34" (I believe) once spikes & feet are added. This should be just about right once I'm slightly reclined. Not perfect, I know, but more than adequate & sturdier than I thought they may be.
Will take my time on finishing new ones!

Attachments

L

LucasG

Enthusiast
Looks like they turned out pretty well. Nice idea.

Lucas

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Looks pretty good, and I like the additional storage they provide.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
Nice, I was looking for something similar but took a different approach.

I bought a sheet of OSB and some "extension piping" plus some couplers and made some low-profile stands. I left the base hollow and filled it with sand, then sealed it up. They are sturdy considering the speakers that they support. The reason they may appear to be tipping a bit in the picture is due to the floor itself, not the stands ;)

Total cost was about $40/pair, plus around an hour of assembly and an hour of finishing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis