N

Neijii

Audioholic
Well my ipod got stolen and I had the Etymonic ER6i earbuds. I bought them about a year ago, and was wondering if anything better came along in that price range of about $100-150.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have no info on earbuds. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry about your iPod.

What kind did you have, and are you thinking about getting a new one? The newest Nanos look promising.

N

Neijii

Audioholic
It was the Ipod video. I acutally bought a new one already..i decided on the "Ipod Classic" which is the ipod video.

For me it was touch vs classic. And since i'm not going to watch movies or use the net on my ipod..for $250 for the touch, you get 3500 songs. For $250 on classic you get 30,000 songs.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Purely just for clarity's sake, I find it better to refer to headphones like the Etyomitc ER6i as "In-ear monitors" "IEMs" or "Ear Canal headphones" rather than "ear buds" "Ear buds" usually refers to the small, typically very poor sounding headphones that sit in the outer ear, but do not actually enter the ear canal. The headphones that come packed in with the iPod, for example.

Anyways, that preamble out of the way...

Personally, I think the Etymotic In-ear monitors are still the very best when it comes to small, portable headphones. They are the only ones I've found that really deliver a flat, accurate frequency response. In-ear monitors from Shure, Ultimate Ears, Sennheiser, Denon, etc. They all sound pretty darn good and are of high quality, but Etymotic is the only manufacturer I know of who seems to have designed In-ear monitors specifically designed to deliver sound as absolutely accurately as possible - even if that means less pounding bass or occassional shrill sounds due to poor quality recordings.

So personally, I would still very much recommend sticking with Etymotic. The ER6i remain a great choice, but they have been replaced by the brand new hf5 headphones in the Etymotic lineup. The hf5 are lighter in weight, have a selection of colors (black, red and blue) and come closer in performance to the still top of the line ER4 while using a 16 ohm design that is super easy to drive with portable players.

Another really great choice though, might be the hf2. The hf2 is based upon the ER4P and has very similar performance. But it includes an in-line mic and control button, which makes it an ideal headset for use with the iPhone. The hf2 can perfectly replace the iPhone earbuds, since it includes the exact same functionality with the in-line mic and control button.

So if you're getting strictly just an iPod, then I think the hf5 are probably the very best way to go. If you might get an iPhone though, then the hf2 are fantastic (I use them myself :) ).

Best of luck!

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
Check out the Shure headphones in the price range, I have their flagship in-ear monitors and I love them. I had their entry level before that and they were very pleasing for the price.

Mike

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Denon earbuds

Denon has a line of earbuds that came out recently. One or more of the models were reviewed on this site.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I have Shure E5s and they sound great...I would go with Shure or Ultimate Ears.....

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I have the Shure E4's and they are fantastic....

Here is another stupid little tidbit.... My son wanted a pair of earbuds real bad, so I let him do his homework and he didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money so he picked out a pair of Vmoda Bass Freq.... they were $30.

Let me tell you... I couldn't believe how these things sounded... bass is unbelievable, as well as the rest of the sonic range....

Wanna have some fun, get a set of these and then get some Shures...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis