Dynavox Highend Loudspeaker Cable

D

dali

Audiophyte
Yeah, I know, the name is kind of silly and I'm not a fan of esoteric cables.

I had 10 year old Linn K400 biwire cables and wanted a) better looking cables and b) to try single wiring.

After some googling I found them at Amazon.co.uk. They come with both spades and bananas and are IMHO priced reasonably, around £77 for a set of 1.5m cables.

Soundwise I can't say there's much of a difference, maybe a little firmer bass but I'm pretty sure any difference is due to changing from biwire to single wire.

Anyhow, If someone is looking for some fairly cheap and good looking speaker cables, Dynavox Highend might be for you. Don't know if they are sold in the US, in Europe you can find them at Amazon.co.uk. You may have to search for "Dynavox lautsprecherkabel" to find them at other vendors.

http://www.dynavox-audio.de/Kabel/Dynavox-Highend-LS-Kabel-Set-2x15m::26.html

DISCLAIMER: I work in IT and am not in any way connected to Dynavox.

Cheers,
dali

Last edited:
D

dali

Audiophyte
There are cheaper cables around, but I wanted factory terminated cables that aren't an eyesore (subjective, of course).

Happy to see recommendations for alternative good looking factory terminated cables that are cheaper.

D

dali

Audiophyte
Nice price, design not my cup of tea. My current setup has the speakers ~5 ft from the amp, the options available (from Amazon.co.uk) were 3/10/15 ft, I'd prefer ~5-6 ft if available.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
lol. ~$11/ft. No thanks.
Probably worth keeping in mind that when you get to those kind of short lengths, the cable itself isn't really a significant part of the cost. Take these for example:

http://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-ultra-speaker-cable

A 10' pair of cables terminated in banana plugs will run you $100, while a 6' pair will set you back $92. Given the total difference of $8 and 8' of wire, the math is pretty easy and the cable price itself isn't outrageous for 12AWG in a nice wrapper. This of course leaves $80 to cover the costs of 4 pairs of banana plugs, assembly, and free shipping, plus a reasonable profit margin. All together, it's not completely outrageous. Compare that with BJC for example, where a 6' pair of terminated 12AWG plain jane wire would run you $67.50 plus shipping, and the SVS cables don't look that horrible from a cost perspective.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I understand terminated cables typically cost more. I still think it's outrageous. Of course, if people want to spend money on "pretty" cables or because they would rather somebody else terminate them, they are free to do so.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I understand terminated cables typically cost more. I still think it's outrageous. Of course, if people want to spend money on "pretty" cables or because they would rather somebody else terminate them, they are free to do so.
It takes all kinds. Obviously it's not the best way to spend your cash if you're on a tight budget, but even anti-snake oil guys like Gene see some value in it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You lost me at better looking speaker cables LOL. That's like saying you want better looking wire for your light switches.

D

dali

Audiophyte
Not sure I get the analogy, wires for light switches are hidden inside the walls and not visible at all. o_O

I don't believe that cables have a substantial impact on the sound, as long as they are well designed (and I don't mean looks) and of adequate dimension. I do however care about the aesthetics, at least in my living room. In my home theater I use "zip cord" type cables, as they are in a darkened room it doesn't matter that much to me.

The old Linn K400 biwires weren't exactly pretty and 5m (~16 ft) long:

The new ones are more to my liking, single wire and a lot shorter, making them less noticeable:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure I get the analogy, wires for light switches are hidden inside the walls and not visible at all. o_O
The analogy means how they look makes no difference as long as they are capable of transferring the signal properly, whether you see them or not :) I realize you actually see these and the desire for aesthetics, but the cost isn't buying you anything.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis