U

Unregistered

I recently bought a Denon DVD 755 and found that when watching a widescreen format DVD there is really really thick black lines on the top and bottom. I know the black lines are suppose to be there come on...It cuts my viewing in half. I have tried changing the aspect ratio on my t.v. and everything but with no success. Does anybody know of a good dvd that cuts down on the "thick black lines"? Please help

My t.v. is a 42" 16 X 9 format Panasonic H.D. Plasma.
Receiver: Denon 3805
M & S Speakers
JBL 250w Subwoofer

U

Unregistered

Sounds like you are watching a letterboxed 4:3 DVD. What you are seeing is perfectly normal with a 16:9 tv.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
2.35 to 1

most, if not all, of the widescreen DVD's will leave bars on the top and bottom, even of a widescreen format HDTV like a Mitsubishi 55 inch silver series.
You may be able to switch to a "zoom" format, which will make the bars go away, but it will clip some of the picture off both sides as well.

the widescreen TV is a 16:9 format (roughly 1.8 times as wide as high) while the widescreen DVD will show in 2.35 to 1, as was used originally in the theater. it would look even worse on a normal 4:3 (1.33 to 1) ratio. You could buy "fullscreen" DVD's to get rid of the bars, but they have just been pre-zoomed for you, and the sides will still be clipped.

check the DVD box to see what ratio it provides. Some (like the original release of Resident Evil 1) will use an entire 16:9 widescreen format TV, but most are 2.35 to 1..

unfortunately widescreen TV's are a best fit from a normal TV and a theater. they are trying to meet in the middle of the two, but don't do a really great job of either, for now. as more HDTV programming becomes available, the old TV format will die off. someday in the not to far future, normal people may be able to buy 2.35 to 1 TV's....

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Anamorphic is probably the word you should focus on when buying a DVD. The standard 2.35:1 aspect ratio is conveted to about 1.80:1 (can't recall the exact conversion but this figure is close) in the anomorphic process thus presenting you with a little more movie real estate on your display.

Most of the critics/reviewers consistently blast the producers of DVD's who do not make the anomorphic process. I've read several times that it's relatively inexpensive endeavor so production cost is not a major factor. It does make a difference!

Also, many DVD's now appearing on store shelves are presented in two versions: Full Screen and Wide Screen; selecting the incorrect version can make you an unhappy camper! (been there, done that...)

I just searched out a web site that I've visited before and it offers an easy to understand spiel on the world of anomorphic :confused: .

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis