DVD players $99 versus $499

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
i've recently shopped for DVD players. looking specifically at upconverting players, for what it's worth.

looking squarely at a $99 panasonic, $120 sony and a $499 sony ES3100. all seem to have good rating at various AV sites.

i guess my main question is, what would cause someone to spend about $400 more for a DVD player versus one of the $99 or $120 sony, panasonic models?

is this a case where one spends $400 more and sees a only fraction of an improvement, but feels warm and fuzzy for owning a "high end" DVD player? or, will there a solid and notable improvement in sound/video quality?

does a reputable $99 player buy you 99% of the performance of a $500 player?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
First question: via HDMI or component? If HDMI, then I would be looking at the Oppo 970HD for $149 and be all done. If component, then I'd go with the Panasonic.

The main difference IMO, is built qualty when you are talking price. Very inexpensive players tend to not live quite as long. Yes, you get better DACs and often better video processing (the Oppos are a bit of an upstart though), better audio and video control (calibration), etc... but it really depends on what you are after. If you just want something that will play movies and you aren't looking for all out best picture quality, then the $99 players should not disappoint.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't expect there to be any audible difference. Eyes are much more sensitive than ears, so there could be some differences in video quality. I doubt that these would be noticible unless your screen is huge (or you are sitting very close), though.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would try to spend the least amount of money on DVD and see were this format war takes us. I would go for the Oppo myself, and not look back.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I agree with j garcia and Seth...go with the Oppo. Great players and company. They have a 30 day return policy if you get it and don't like it, also.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
A "reputable" $99 player can give you 90% of the performance of a $500 player or 10% of it, depending on what the two units are.

The Oppo gives you 100% of the performance of the $500 player for $199 if you're using HDMI ;)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I've been a long-time Denon fanboy, but my next play will be an Oppo.

G

gcmarshall

Full Audioholic
I've never heard of Oppo, other than the paid advertisements on this web site. I tend to shy away from things like that. If Panasonic, Sony, et al don't make a player that will make me happy, then nobody does. Oppo may be a fine player, but I am sticking with the big brand names.

Thanks for all the feedback on my thread.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I've never heard of Oppo, other than the paid advertisements on this web site. I tend to shy away from things like that. If Panasonic, Sony, et al don't make a player that will make me happy, then nobody does. Oppo may be a fine player, but I am sticking with the big brand names.

Thanks for all the feedback on my thread.
I agree. I stay away from ID brands in general for exactly the same reason. If I have never heard of a brand and/or I can't buy it in a store, I am not interested.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
DVD Players

GC,
Oppo is a new name but not a new manufacturer, this is an excert from a review:
"Oppo Digital is the North American offshoot of the consumer electronics giant BBK of China. BBK has been in business for quite some time and boasts a respectable track record, with worldwide product sales reaching Sony-like levels on some SKUs."

If you plan to spend $1-200 on a good DVD player Oppo Digital is a good option. I have the DV-970HD and recommend it. Check out detailed reviews of this and other players on the Secrets of HT DVD benchmark.

If you want to spend $500, get a second generation HD-DVD player. Upscaling of SD material (DVD) is nice but it can't compare to HD source material.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Oppo also has ads in Sound and Vision magazine, and probably other magazines. Just because you haven't heard of a compnay before doesn't mean that they aren't any good. There is a reason the Oppo 971H was rated very high in the benchmark tests, and that's because it's a great dvd player. Just remember that at one point you hadn't heard of any of the companies you know of today. There are many people on this and other av forums that will tell you the Oppo players are great, and they have good customer service as well. So don't fool yourself into believing that by spending more money on a big name brand product that you are actually getting something better.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
I'd go oppo, in fact I will be soon. That many owners, mags and web sites are extremely unlikely to send you off in the wrong direction.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If one was inclined to spend $500 on a Upconverting player, I would definitely get an HD-DVD player. It serves a double purpose, and reportedly has some of the best upconversion quality of players from Denon that cost more. This is just what I have heard, and there is no solidity in those words.:)

If you are going to spend $100-200, then get an Oppo. To say you won't purchase a particular brand because they are internet direct is ludicrous, no offense meant, but that seems like a very snobbish approach. Part of our job as consumers is to try new things that we haven't heard of. If someone had never heard of Classe' and said it was crap because they had never heard of it they would be very wrong. I realize I am talking about different leagues here, but it is the same general concept.

louthewiz

louthewiz

Audioholic Intern
Just to clear any doubts.

I am a proud owner of the Oppo 970-HD and I think it's the best dvd player I have ever owned and it buries the Panasonic Denon and samsung dvd players as well as a pioneer elite I just sold , And the player in my opinion outperforms dvd players 5 times the price ,
so you can talk all the hooha you want , try an Oppo and I guarentee you will keep it and for the money it is well worth the price..:rolleyes:

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Yup. I did it too. Went for the Oppo 981, and I'll never look back. Produces near-HD picture quality on well-transfered discs. There's a reason it's at the top of the list on the Secrets Benchmark.

cheers,
supervij

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Well gcm

I saw this thread but didn't read it till now.:eek: I guess there will always be NAY sayer, that's fine your entitled;). We members don't have anything to gain by selling you on the oppo player, that decision is yours:).

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I also recommend Oppo. I went with the 970 myself and the upconversion to my 56" Samsung DLP is top notch. And at $149, you can't beat it. Their Customer Service was excellent and ordering from them was easy as pie.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree. I stay away from ID brands in general for exactly the same reason. If I have never heard of a brand and/or I can't buy it in a store, I am not interested.
No offense, but that is absolutely ridiculous. How many internet direct speaker brands are there on this site that come HIGHLY recommended? Do you trust none of them because you can't buy them in a store? To be honest, I usually get BETTER customer service and support from the smaller companies vs the big names.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis