Dumb guy looking to downsize but maintain or increase performance

B

biffgeiser1

Enthusiast
So, I'm a dumb guy and new on here and to this world of hifi trickery. Bear with me here...

Married dude, medium sized normal house (ie-no fancy pants theatre room), and small to medium sized married guy budget of around $2000 absolute max.

I currently have an old set of Cambridge Soundworks bipolar Super towers. I also have a Elemental Designs A3s-250 subwoofer. These are the things I want to change). The rest of my setup is a Pioneer SC1222 receiver, PS3 for games/music/movies, Def Tech pro cinema 1000 center, and Cambridge Soundworks weird surrounds (they have a switch under them that goes from direct/bipole/dipole). All in all for getting all the Cambridge stuff as hand-me-downs from the parents I've been pretty happy with the setup.

I recently got a new job which is awesome because now I get to make more money. And I've been granted the joy of upgrading from my awesome wife. Which is rad! But, of course there's the caveat of her wanting the loud sounds to come from smaller boxes. So I'm trying to decide what to do. BTW my listening/watching room is 12x12x8ft high. Nothing fancy but it is open on both ends to the rest of the house.

I'm kind of interested in the Def Tech SM65's. They seem to have pretty good reviews and when I tried them out today at the cool guy stereo store they sounded nice. Stereo store guy was trying to sell me on either a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w sub or a Def Tech super cube 4000.

Now, the elemental designs sub absolutely has to go. It's huge, and comes from a company that disappeared a while back. I'm also sure there is better out there in a smaller package. The Cambridge towers sound nice too. But I don't think I need, understand, or really appreciate the bipolar design.

Maybe by now you readers have guessed that I know just enough to confuse myself. Anyone own those Def Tech speakers or try them out? And would either sub be a good choice? Are there other things out there that would work better and maybe cost less (everyone seems to talk a lot about svs subs and B&W speakers). Keep in mind, I'm not looking for towers anymore and I'd like anything smaller than a 18hx16wx20d sub.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
For the sub, check out the Father's Day sale at Outlaw Audio. What is it, the LFM1-EX? Edit: It's the Ultra X12. For mains, timbre matching with the center is a good idea. Since you're keeping your Def Tech center, I'd start by auditioning the Def Tech mains.

I'm with you on not understanding the Cambridge mains' bipolar configuration. For surrounds, yeah, bi/dipole can be lovely, but the mains raise a red flag. How can bipolar mains produce anything like accurate imaging?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Last edited:
B

biffgeiser1

Enthusiast
Another reason why I kinda like Def Tech is they are fairly consistent with providing a good quality product at a good price. I tried the SM65's at the store today along with the SM55's. The 65's felt more gutsy... Even compared against some $900 Martin Logan's and the super sexy looking B&W 685 S2's.

Haven't heard of Outlaw. Are they a reputable company? That was the problem with ED.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
For speakers most important is what sounds best to you in your budget. So auditioning is good way to go. And like rojo said it is good idea to match mains and center channel. Of course it is good to stick with companies that are reliable.

What I have read svs subs are solid choice indeed, have no experience of them myself yet, but I will most likely go with svs sub as well when I have the money to buy one.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I've been granted the joy of upgrading from my awesome wife.
Congrats! I too upgraded about 20 years ago. She was "awesome" in the same way as Godzilla or a Cat-5 Hurricane. Much happier now, and have a much nicer HT too!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
SVS does make nice sounding subs, but their price :: performance ratio isn't what it once was (since they started selling at Best Buy). I would guess the Outlaw sub output to be roughly equivalent to the SVS PB-2000. And yes, they are of well-reputed quality, well worth an audition.

Edit: Now that I look, the Outlaw sub is still 16"w x 23"d x 21.25"h. If you want something smaller but still capable of pressurizing your open area (and yes, the "open on both ends to the rest of the house" detail is not as minor as you implied), you might be looking for a JL Audio sub or something similarly budget-crushing. A Bose bass module is simply not going to cut it for that large a space.

No clue how much these cost, but I understand the Danley THSpud offers some impressive output in an enclosure you can (possibly) hide under your sofa. You might also consider bowing to the inevitable and getting a sub (or two) large enough to use as end tables. The Hsu Research subs are reasonably priced and offer an optional wife-pleasing rosewood finish. Or, you could always dress up any down-firing sub yourself. Get two of those Outlaw subs, glue some wood to it, and instant end tables. Heck, you could even use actual end tables with the bottoms knocked out to camouflage the subs, maybe.

And I've been granted the joy of upgrading from my awesome wife.
Congrats! I too upgraded about 20 years ago. She was "awesome" in the same way as Godzilla or a Cat-5 Hurricane. Much happier now, and have a much nicer HT too!
I don't think he meant he upgraded his wife, or that he upgraded from a wife to a home theater.

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think he meant he upgraded his wife, or that he upgraded from a wife to a home theater.
I know. He threw me a soft ball... so I hit it. It's what I do. ;)

(Adam... hush!)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Now, the elemental designs sub absolutely has to go. It's huge, and comes from a company that disappeared a while back. I'm also sure there is better out there in a smaller package.
Unfortunately size does play a big role in subwoofer performance. To get something substantially smaller than your old eD, you'll probably end up giving up a bit of output down low. Still, if compact is the name of the game, the Rythmik F12 would be high on my list.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html
There's also an SE edition that comes in gloss black.

Maybe by now you readers have guessed that I know just enough to confuse myself. Anyone own those Def Tech speakers or try them out?
I can't claim to have spent much time with those particular models, though they did get reviewed here:
http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/def-tech-studiomonitor-65-video
What's more, IIRC, Clint actually purchased them as well.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm kind of interested in the Def Tech SM65's. They seem to have pretty good reviews and when I tried them out today at the cool guy stereo store they sounded nice. Stereo store guy was trying to sell me on either a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w sub or a Def Tech super cube 4000.

And would either sub be a good choice? Are there other things out there that would work better and maybe cost less (everyone seems to talk a lot about svs subs and B&W speakers). Keep in mind, I'm not looking for towers anymore and I'd like anything smaller than a 18hx16wx20d sub.
I have demoed the Definitive SM-55 speakers and they are some nice ones.
So, the SM-65 would be a nice option for you.

Sub size can make a difference - however, if you need to go small and can live
with some limited low end - and if you do not go the ID route >> then look at
the Sunfire SDS-12 subwoofer. It will hit -3db at 27 hz and will have some decent
dynamics and punch in the 40-63 hz range.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/sunsds12a/sunfire-sds-12-12-300-w-dual-driver-powered-subwoofer/1.html#!specifications

If you can find the Sunfire HRS-12 at a good price - then that can be a good option
for a small subwoofer.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/46691-sunfire-hrs-12-subwoofer-review.html

There are some on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunfire-HRS-12-12-1-000W-Powered-Subwoofer-SUB-HRS12-Brand-New-/281338019698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41810d7f72

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sunfire-HRS-12-12-1-000W-Powered-Subwoofer-SUB-HRS12-/151551183043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23492788c3

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis