dual subwoofer placement

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Im looking for anybody knowledgeable with this, I have a klipsch sw-450 downfiring and a nx-bas-500 front firing sub. Both rear ported as well as rf-62ii floor standing rear ported for fronts. Ill attach a pic of room to with measurements. The reddish circles are speakers and blue squares are subs. Top right box is a closet but the door remains closed hardly used. This is 3rd place ive tried subs, others are in corners behind fronts and between fronts and tv. Its hard for me to do the crawl, 2 year old and newborn and when they sleep ive been warned to not wake up. The black chair is my ideal seat which id like to have best sound towards. Was really hoping a audio god could see my artwork and voila, this is where you put then son. Any questions ill be right here waiting lol. Not sure if I have knowledge to return but possibly some gum.
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Ive read probably 20 diff sites and viewed over 10 pdfs. Not one site is similar to the other. They all say per room and seating. You got a link I can type measurements and seating in?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Best way is sub crawl. Thats the only way to get it right in your room. Otherwise the general guidelines will be your best bet if yiu dont want to do a sub crawl.

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
One site says between fronts and tv, another says corners, then not corners then across from each other equal to wall then itll say dont place same distances. Im beyond confused and almost ready to give up and do with what it is. Is there a way to figure where nulls would b in a room this size

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Do you know what the subwoofer crawl is?

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Ill do a sub crawl. .. just have 2 daughters and very difficult to do anything with them but hopefully someday ill have time to get down. Thank you for replies, im sorry im somewhat frustrated with it all but will try general guidelines

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Yes place sub where my seat is and crawl til it sounds best then switch. I read on a site that it dont work with 2 subs

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ill do a sub crawl. .. just have 2 daughters and very difficult to do anything with them but hopefully someday ill have time to get down. Thank you for replies, im sorry im somewhat frustrated with it all but will try general guidelines
Don't forget that the sub needs to be at about ear height at the main LP and you need to be playing either subwoofer tones or a movie/song with lots of bass on repeat. It's alright, placing a subwoofer can be a headache, but the only foolproof way in YOUR room is with the sub crawl. The general guidelines are just that general guidelines. You can calculate approximately what nulls or peaks you'll get, but the furniture or other factors can influence those. The best placement option for dual subs in a room if you're shooting blind is usually both up front or kind of like you have them in your picture. Hey, you might find that where you have them are the best places when doing the sub crawl after all.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes place sub where my seat is and crawl til it sounds best then switch. I read on a site that it dont work with 2 subs
It does work with both subs. Just do that whole thing twice, or stack the subs on top of each other in that spot.

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Probably will b the case lol. I just moved the one towards the back to directly in front of other sub by couch, opposite walls. I also read when putting the sub up to do crawl to make sure its on something soft like blanket since your body isn't hard and absorbs waves?

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Ran audyssey and it has L and R -7dB, surr L and R +3+4, surr back L and R +4+5 center -8 subs -15. Is that acceptable?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Probably will b the case lol. I just moved the one towards the back to directly in front of other sub by couch, opposite walls. I also read when putting the sub up to do crawl to make sure its on something soft like blanket since your body isn't hard and absorbs waves?
Thats not really why, although not bad advice. You want it.to ait on something soft because you need to kind of crank it up to make sure you can actually hear the subwoofer clearly no matter where you crawl in the room. Sitting on something soft is really to keep it from vibrating or rocking on whatever you have it sitting on more than anything else.

Ran audyssey and it has L and R -7dB, surr L and R +3+4, surr back L and R +4+5 center -8 subs -15. Is that acceptable?
Sounds fine. Every room will be different and subwoofer combination will be different. It would help to have an SPL meter though if you feel like investing a few bucks in one. Audyssey usually sets my subs just a touch low for my tastes so I end up bumping the levels up a little.

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Ive read and found true it can take time to find placements and settings. I consider myself educated above normal with most electronics but nodes and sound waves is something ive never considered until I got 2 subwoofers and so far have driven my mind nuts reading and looking at graphs. Im sure end result will be worth it. Ive downloaded a few apps on android. .SPL spectrum, sound meter and RTA pro. Not sure how to use but at least I have an excuse now plus will look halfway professional

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Thanks a ton. I tried plugging audyssey mic in phone out of curiosity, phone recognized headset plugged in but wasnt able to use as a mic. This is my 1st time trying this site, usually at avs but from the initial start I think im just gonna stay here. Again I appreciate the time and patience. BTW I was reading deep into results on google and came across acousticscienses and it says. . The typical position to avoid stimulating resonances is 29 percent of the room’s dimension off the floor, 29 percent in from the sidewall, and 29 percent in from the end wall....ever hear that?

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Also in your second link best place for bass, based upon the readings per room which is better of them? 2 hours ago I googled how to read subwoofer graph, thats how I ended up at acousticscience but over my head

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks a ton. I tried plugging audyssey mic in phone out of curiosity, phone recognized headset plugged in but wasnt able to use as a mic. This is my 1st time trying this site, usually at avs but from the initial start I think im just gonna stay here. Again I appreciate the time and patience. BTW I was reading deep into results on google and came across acousticscienses and it says. . The typical position to avoid stimulating resonances is 29 percent of the room’s dimension off the floor, 29 percent in from the sidewall, and 29 percent in from the end wall....ever hear that?
Yea I've heard that before. IMO, that's taking it just a little bit further than you really need to go, and it isn't a universal anyways because it doesn't take into account furniture or other objects and it assumes the floor and walls are definitive barriers, whereas most walls will leak sound through and aren't infinitely stiff.

Also in your second link best place for bass, based upon the readings per room which is better of them? 2 hours ago I googled how to read subwoofer graph, thats how I ended up at acousticscience but over my head
None are the "best". You'd have to try them all out to see which setup sounds best in your room. Most people don't bother with sub placement outside of what is recommended vs what looks best aesthetically vs what is the most convenient for their space. Then they rely on room correction software to get them as close as possible. In a perfect world, you would place your subs with the sub crawl, take a few measurements, then treat your room with acoustic treatments accordingly and verify with measurements, then use EQ'ing as a final measure.....or something like that.

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Yea I've heard that before. IMO, that's taking it just a little bit further than you really need to go, and it isn't a universal anyways because it doesn't take into account furniture or other objects and it assumes the floor and walls are definitive barriers, whereas most walls will leak sound through and aren't infinitely stiff.

None are the "best". You'd have to try them all out to see which setup sounds best in your room. Most people don't bother with sub placement outside of what is recommended vs what looks best aesthetically vs what is the most convenient for their space. Then they rely on room correction software to get them as close as possible. In a perfect world, you would place your subs with the sub crawl, take a few measurements, then treat your room with acoustic treatments accordingly and verify with measurements, then use EQ'ing as a final measure.....or something like that.
Ya that article I read that was saying 29% was from like 1990. Been doing deep deep google sessions lol. And ya I know best way for particular room depends on room, I meant on page 3 maybe he has diff setups with freq graphs. From his readings which was best. I have not a clue how to tell by the graph

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis