Dual Subs Position Question

adamd123

adamd123

Enthusiast
I currently have a single SVS PB-13 Ultra. There isn't enough room behind my AT screen to direct the sub drivers towards the seating position, so I have my subwoofer turned 90 degrees firing towards the center channel:

QUESTION:
I am now adding a second PB-13 Ultra, and was wondering if it would be better to aim the subs outwards opposing each other (but aimed directly into the bass traps) or keep them pointed at each other with roughly 4' between them. I know neither of these options are ideal, but I was curious if one option seems better.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think either option would be a problem, but I'd probably opt for opposite rather than directly at each other.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Best placement of 2 sub is for one sub to be right in the middle of the FRONT wall and one sub in the middle of the REAR wall. :D

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Best placement of 2 sub is for one sub to be right in the middle of the FRONT wall and one sub in the middle of the REAR wall. :D
:) Looking at the Harman report, particularly slide#54 Investigation 4: Practical Locations and comparing probably the two most common places to put 1 or 2 subs - configuration 2 which would be to one side of the entertainment center or configuration 5 with a sub on both sides of the entertainment center - then comparing the results in slide#56 (and the rest of the report) makes one wonder if there is any significant gain to going with two subs over one?

For most of us, putting a sub in the center at the front and the center at the rear is virtually impossible.

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White Papers/multsubs.pdf

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For most of us, putting a sub in the center at the front and the center at the rear is virtually impossible.
That's for sure.

Every room is different, though. So for most of us, 1 sub on each side of the front is all good.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Unless your theater room is a small stadium, I don't think it'll matter much with a pair of those monsters.

DJ

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
put it on the rear wall, opposite side of the front wall (front left rear right etc etc). I have done this before with 2 different subs and the bass was very even across 6 seats.

SheepStar

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I just want to see some pictures of the whole room.

I would fire the subs opposite of each other and use Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

This is neither here nor there but I went with two Utras for awhile and although it was more dynamic with more low end, it wasn't enough to justify the price so I sold one and became happy with just using one sub. I would say the improvement was in the 10% range. My room is huge and open so I will never have perfect sound in there.

I ran one in the front right side and one in the rear left side.

Last edited:
psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
This is neither here nor there but I went with two Utras for awhile and although it was more dynamic with more low end, it wasn't enough to justify the price so I sold one and became happy with just using one sub. I would say the improvement was in the 10% range. My room is huge and open so I will never have perfect sound in there.

I ran one in the front right side and one in the rear left side.

Did you try different positions with sub placement? I'm thinking of going to dual subs, both up front flanking my towers. If you're saying only a 10% difference was noticed, I may just get larger sub instead of running two.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Did you try different positions with sub placement? I'm thinking of going to dual subs, both up front flanking my towers. If you're saying only a 10% difference was noticed, I may just get larger sub instead of running two.
I tried a few different places but pretty limited where I could actually put the subs. The "balance" was very good but the shear power down low wasn't what I thought it would be. It was actually best when I stacked the subs but that was a "no-go" with the WAF.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In addition to center of front & back walls, similar result should be achieved with each sub on center of opposed side walls. Any other setup would be a crap shoot and would need to be measured to know

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I tried a few different places but pretty limited where I could actually put the subs. The "balance" was very good but the shear power down low wasn't what I thought it would be. It was actually best when I stacked the subs but that was a "no-go" with the WAF.
PD isn't wearing the pants everyone, you heard it here first.

SheepStar

adamd123

adamd123

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input everyone! I ended up measuring the subs in a few different positions, and centered firing outward seemed to produce the most even bass (although no where near perfect) for all seating positions. Still far from perfect, but I'm going to try to even out the rest with bass traps. It's an oddly shaped room, so unfortunately I don't have many other options.

Here are a few pictures of how the room came out:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis