Dual subs different sizes but same brand?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'm considering adding a Dayton sub 1200 to my existing setup with a sub 1500. The -3dB point difference between the two subs is mere 3hz, and response graphs across all of the dayton subs are identical minus the roll off point. I have a sub 1000, which is 3dB down at 34hz, as an experiment to see what would happen to the response, I added the sub 1000 to the 1500, placed it in an area of the room with poorer bass response, and proceeded to take measurements. The response was identical except for the roll off being pushed from 23hz to 30hz, with 23hz being 7dB down, I also managed to gain an extra 5dB across the entire low end. The sub 1200 has an f3 of 25hz, even if it pushed the roll off up to 25hz solid I have no issue with that, I am more concerned with even bass response and spl.

Unfortunately, I can't add another sub 1500 because I don't have room for it.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm considering adding a Dayton sub 1200 to my existing setup with a sub 1500. The -3dB point difference between the two subs is mere 3hz, and response graphs across all of the dayton subs are identical minus the roll off point. I have a sub 1000, which is 3dB down at 34hz, as an experiment to see what would happen to the response, I added the sub 1000 to the 1500, placed it in an area of the room with poorer bass response, and proceeded to take measurements. The response was identical except for the roll off being pushed from 23hz to 30hz, with 23hz being 7dB down, I also managed to gain an extra 5dB across the entire low end. The sub 1200 has an f3 of 25hz, even if it pushed the roll off up to 25hz solid I have no issue with that, I am more concerned with even bass response and spl.

Unfortunately, I can't add another sub 1500 because I don't have room for it.
Got room for a BIC V1220? Looks like its CEA-2010 plots are within a dB or so of the Dayton SUB-1500. See Brent Butterworth's graph.

As far as mismatched subs go, you can pretty much get anything to blend with anything, given enough patience, DSP biquads, and beer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, you can GET anything to blend with anything, but a big part of dual subs is to get them to compliment each other and smooth out response. That is best achieved with identical subs IMO. You also sort of become limited by the capabilities of the lesser sub.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't need a dsp if both subs were daytons though. On some other forum someone measured the FR of the BIC v1220 and it looks a lot rougher than the sub 1200 with a steeper roll-off. While spl is important, the daytons are hard to beat when it comes to accuracy. Spending extra money on something like a minidsp along with a $180 sub I might as well just increase my
budget a bit more

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't need a dsp if both subs were daytons though. On some other forum someone measured the FR of the BIC v1220 and it looks a lot rougher than the sub 1200 with a steeper roll-off. While spl is important, the daytons are hard to beat when it comes to accuracy. Spending extra money on something like a minidsp along with a $180 sub I might as well just increase my
budget a bit more

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
I don't think it's true that just because you have 2 daytons you won't need dsp. The room and placement will dictate that more than anything. As far as increasing your budget, I think that's what you should focus on, but not to include a $200.00 sub, and minidsp. IMO budget subs will return budget performance and to do what you want, you need to address that. Don't take that as a jab at your daytons. They're great for the money, but there is a reason they cost less, and the f3 points you keep mentioning are just too high. IMO.
I think looking at it like a long term investment and saving up while enjoying what you've is the best way. It's hard to do, but imo it will pay off a lot more than nickel and diming the system overall.
Fwiw, I also believe you can mix subs somewhat effectively but as mentioned you'll be dictated a lot by the weakest link. Even if you can blend them, and the FR is good, once you push the levels, the lesser sub will give up first and you'll definitely notice that. Especially when you listen at around -0 MV.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis