Dual Receivers for Dual Subs?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Equipment:
AVR1 = Audyssey MultEQ (or better) & Pre-outs
AVR2 = Audyssey MultEQ (or better)

Setup:
Hook Mains and Sub1 to AVR2 and run Audyssey.
Hook mains and Sub2 to AVR1
Connect pre-out from AVR1 to input Of AVR2
Run Audyssey on AVR1

I really don't see any glaring issues!
Aside from the higher filter resolution of XT 32, wouldn't you have equivalent dual sub calibration?
AVR2 would time-align and level match Sub1 with the Mains, then AVR1 would time-align and level match Sub2 and Satellites with AVR2.

I'm not sure if this would benefit anyone, but I've seen a lot of fine used receivers being sold for chump change, and if you like you current receiver, but want to add a second sub; this might be an alternative approach to consider.

Is this as hair-brained as it sounds? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Equipment:
AVR1 = Audyssey MultEQ (or better) & Pre-outs
AVR2 = Audyssey MultEQ (or better)

Setup:
Hook Mains and Sub1 to AVR2 and run Audyssey.
Hook mains and Sub2 to AVR1
Connect pre-out from AVR1 to input Of AVR2
Run Audyssey on AVR1

I really don't see any glaring issues!
Aside from the higher filter resolution of XT 32, wouldn't you have equivalent dual sub calibration?
AVR2 would time-align and level match Sub1 with the Mains, then AVR1 would time-align and level match Sub2 and Satellites with AVR2.

I'm not sure if this would benefit anyone, but I've seen a lot of fine used receivers being sold for chump change, and if you like you current receiver, but want to add a second sub; this might be an alternative approach to consider.

Is this as hair-brained as it sounds? Am I missing something?
Even in the best equipment, there may be a slight time lag in the signal from AVR1 to AVR2 and that alone would make the subs' relative phase be inaccurate. If you want to see the effect, set the system up this way, open Room EQ Wizard and play some music. Don't activate Audyssey for this, it's just to demonstrate the effect of two sound sources that are in or out of alignment. Now, look at the response and make note of any large dips in the response.

The next thing to do is open the setup menu, set the sub output to LFE+Main, scroll down to Speakers, Audyssey Setup (select Manual), Speaker Configuration (select Small for the Mains, yes for any speakers in use, but you can also do this with only the front speakers) scroll to Bass and select your LFE crossover frequency. Once that's done, go back one page to Speakers/Manual Setup and scroll to Distances. The effect of getting this right or wrong might surprise you. Set the increments to .1 Foot and with music playing, scroll to Subwoofer, click on this to allow adjustment and change it by a few increments. Press Return and look at the changes in the response. Keep adjusting and watch the changes, looking for the best response. Turn the sub off (in the Speakers area) and make the same changes to the main speaker response and most important, LISTEN to the effect on the sound.

You could just use a Y adapter to send the signal to both subs- that's the only way one Audyssey system will affect all of the speakers and keep it aligned.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis